Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-06-2017, 05:00 AM   #1
lopezangel886

Drives: 2016 v6 camaro rs
Catless down pipes finally installed!!

I'll upload a vlog type video explaining how I fitted LFX down pipes on my 6th gen but check out my video on YouTube of a few pulls after installing them and I raced against a bolt on 2003 ss 🤙🏻 Check it out and subscribe for more vids!
https://youtu.be/TXkYYTnFYeI
lopezangel886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Didn't think it would be too hard. All there is is a single pipe from the engine. Any basic exhaust shop should be able to custom bend one in under an hour.

Retrofitting the lfx oneS should be easy as well.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
lopezangel886

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Didn't think it would be too hard. All there is is a single pipe from the engine. Any basic exhaust shop should be able to custom bend one in under an hour.

Retrofitting the lfx oneS should be easy as well.
Flanges needed custom fab work too, took around 4 hours for them to get it done.
I also went to a few different shops to get quotes on pricing to get custom made down pipes and it would run from 600 to 900 and it would take at least a week for all 3 different shops to get them finished.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopezangel886 View Post
Flanges needed custom fab work too, took around 4 hours for them to get it done.
I also went to a few different shops to get quotes on pricing to get custom made down pipes and it would run from 600 to 900 and it would take at least a week for all 3 different shops to get them finished.
Got a place local that if you bring the flanges from the stock pipes with about 5-6 inches down from the flange. They'll finish the rest out towards the cats. Mandrel bent, and stainless steel. 300-350.

They did my lfx axle backs, modding the magnaflow 15090 setup I had in adding resonators. That was done stainless steel aND mandrel bent, under 200$

One could also get stainless pipe and clamps. Cut where the cats are, and add in pipe as needed. Few ways of goin at it...

So how's the the tuning goin with it?

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 03-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
Buzzberd6

Drives: 2LT/1LE, HPCRX, F250(tow vehicle)
Hmmm, I know a guy very close to me with a brand new C&C plasma table. Actually my son welded it up for him. He usually makes brackets for the giant mud trucks but told me he would cut me whatever I want if I give him a template.

I'll have to ask my son in law if these have a gasket and talk him into get me one. I might even have my son weld up some prototypes without cats.

Not that I want one, I'm not messing with mine until the warranty is up.
Buzzberd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
I'm hoping that my intake will be here by next week so I can get my car tuned by Cunningham Motorsports, maybe even try to get some type of e85 tune on it 🤙🏻 I'll keep you guys updated, hopefully after the tune and e85 I can see close to the 400whp range.. I did a dyno run with my set up as is and it put down 326whp on a mustang dyno so I'm guessing with the rest of the mods I want I can get it pretty damn close to 400!
i gotchya. i def only ask, because i know with NO cats, theres def gonna be a CEL somewhere down the line. or did you run the first one and remove the second?

Old 03-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #7
keysersoze

Drives: 16 Camaro
Quote:
I'm hoping that my intake will be here by next week so I can get my car tuned by Cunningham Motorsports, maybe even try to get some type of e85 tune on it 🤙🏻 I'll keep you guys updated, hopefully after the tune and e85 I can see close to the 400whp range.. I did a dyno run with my set up as is and it put down 326whp on a mustang dyno so I'm guessing with the rest of the mods I want I can get it pretty damn close to 400!
Can you remind us what mods you're running when you did the dyno run?
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:09 AM   #8
lopezangel886

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
Can you remind us what mods you're running when you did the dyno run?
2.5" catless down pipes to x pipe and glass packs then flowmaster mufflers. Throttle controller and 93 octane.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:11 AM   #9
lopezangel886

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
i gotchya. i def only ask, because i know with NO cats, theres def gonna be a CEL somewhere down the line. or did you run the first one and remove the second?
I got the check engine light already because it's catless all the way no primary or secondary ones, so far no type of limp mode or anything. I can tell it's running a little more rich now that it has the CEL
Old 03-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
I got the check engine light already because it's catless all the way no primary or secondary ones, so far no type of limp mode or anything. I can tell it's running a little more rich now that it has the CEL
I can imagine...

Especially since the 02 sensors are responsible for determining rich or lean as far as your fuel trim goes. Once they go out of closed loop during warm up, there's not much telling the computer to run or switch back and forth.

That's why on boosted and nitrous, having a wide band sensor rather than stock narrow band sensors is beneficial and more accurate.

You're brave for sure!

Old 03-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
I'm hoping that my intake will be here by next week so I can get my car tuned by Cunningham Motorsports, maybe even try to get some type of e85 tune on it ���� I'll keep you guys updated, hopefully after the tune and e85 I can see close to the 400whp range.. I did a dyno run with my set up as is and it put down 326whp on a mustang dyno so I'm guessing with the rest of the mods I want I can get it pretty damn close to 400!
I must be missing something...so I have to ask.

The V6 is rated at 335 crank HP, so when you said 326whp above, it leads me to believe you mean 326 rear wheel horsepower.

Then later you said the mods are downpipes, exhaust, and 93 octane. So what did I miss? B/c there's no way your V6 is putting down 326rwhp. That would mean you car is making north of 375 crank HP.

Maybe the dyno you ran on said that number. I'll believe that. But your car isn't making that power with those mods. Do you have some kind of forced induction on it?

I'm no V6 hater at all. In fact I loved my 5th gen V6. But even with a good tune and bolt ons (downpipe, intake, exhaust, "ported" intake manifold, T/B) the V6 won't be putting down 326rwhp.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #12
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
guess it's time to hit the track. quarter mile times are basically the only way to measure anything accurately since the lack of standards and 3rd party calibration on dyno's makes them only useful for comparing percentages of difference with changes made to your own car.

they're almost detrimental more than they're helpful by putting out actual numbers instead of simply percent differences from a baseline. It's stupid.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #13
lopezangel886

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I must be missing something...so I have to ask.

The V6 is rated at 335 crank HP, so when you said 326whp above, it leads me to believe you mean 326 rear wheel horsepower.

Then later you said the mods are downpipes, exhaust, and 93 octane. So what did I miss? B/c there's no way your V6 is putting down 326rwhp. That would mean you car is making north of 375 crank HP.

Maybe the dyno you ran on said that number. I'll believe that. But your car isn't making that power with those mods. Do you have some kind of forced induction on it?

I'm no V6 hater at all. In fact I loved my 5th gen V6. But even with a good tune and bolt ons (downpipe, intake, exhaust, "ported" intake manifold, T/B) the V6 won't be putting down 326rwhp.
I do agree with you it was a little bit of a head scratcher because the numbers were a little bit high but every dyno is different. I'm gonna get an actual tune by Cunningham on the heart breaker, so we will see the numbers that it puts down then.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #14
lopezangel886

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
guess it's time to hit the track. quarter mile times are basically the only way to measure anything accurately since the lack of standards and 3rd party calibration on dyno's makes them only useful for comparing percentages of difference with changes made to your own car.

they're almost detrimental more than they're helpful by putting out actual numbers instead of simply percent differences from a baseline. It's stupid.
Exactly! I'll have quarter mile times soon when my local track is finally gonna have drag nights again and it is very soon!