Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
ozcorp

Drives: 2021 Chevy Camaro 2SS M6
Soler Preformance 80mm (eff 84mm) TB for LGX

In my opinion, this is the best TB you can buy for the LGX. Other 80mm TB don’t have the features of the Soler Preformance unit. Aside from the quality of their design, Mike offers above average customer service. This company is super responsive to emails and will not leave you hanging if there’s any questions or issues to address.

This 80mm (84mm eff) TB is a new offering for the LGX v6 from Soler Performance. It’s much larger than their current 72mm (76mm eff) TB.

Installation had no problems. Although I did have to unclip a plastic clip that holds the wiring harness. Initially I thought the adapter plate wasn’t going to fit but it was incredibly easy to jiggle some stuff out of the way and bolt on the adapter plate. Once the adapter Plate was in place the TB bolts on without any fitment issues.

I followed the relearning process that came with the instructions. No problems or CEL’s.

Tuning isn’t required if you follow the relearning procedure correctly.

On that note, I will be having the car tuned tomorrow with this new TB installed and a K&N CAI installed.

We all know the base HP and TQ numbers for the LGX... lets see what these two simple mods and a tune can do to bump those numbers up

Tuning shop is “National Speed” in Henrico VA (Richmond VA)
Attached Images

ozcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Mike mentioned this one to me when I bought my ported stock one. So how do you like it, how does it drive, etc? I'll be very curious how your dyno turns out as well
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
ozcorp

If installing this with a K&N CAI, you will need to cut an inch off the metal tube. Otherwise it will DEFINITELY hit the radiator fan housing and WILL NOT FIT. Cutting the tube IS A MUST. It’s easy, I did it with a $5 hacksaw from Harbor Freight and used blue painters tape to avoid scratches on the tube.

Also, for those of you who will need a 3.5 to 3 inch silicone coupler and buy it online at siliconeintakes.com , you will need to cut about half an inch off both ends. The coupler is pretty large. Way larger than the 3.5 to 3 inch coupler the CAI kit came with.

Lastly... don’t forget to buy a couple of 4 inch clamps 👍
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
HCI2000SS

Besides the fab work needed to make it fit, there were a few reasons I chose the Soler ported stock TB vs this one. At WOT there is no restrictions even with the stock TB. This is on a stock or mild bolt on V6 of course. That combined with more reviews and R&D on the ported stocker, made me feel more secure about not possibly needing to tweak the tune, throwing codes, etc...This TB seems like it would be better suited for those doing a lot of mods, that could utilize the extra airflow
Old 06-30-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
ozcorp

Yes, you are correct. I was already committed to tuning the engine so naturally I was seeking the largest TB I could fit on the LGX without modifying the intake manifold or replacing it. Even if some calibration issues occurred, they would be easily fixed with the tune. I wouldn’t recommend this unless you have tuning lined up to properly take advantage of such a large TB.

Although no CEL’s have shown up in the few driving cycles i preformed in the last two days, the initial drive was very interesting. The car held its RPM level and sometimes even accelerated without throttle input. Shifting up a gear would slow it down and I had to trail brake a lot to keep the car from going faster. A slight downhill grade quickly elevated the RPM’s and the car accelerated way past the 40 mph speed limit lol. The second time I drove the car the RPM’s didn’t hold as long and as high. The car decelerated smoother and quicker than the first time.

In conclusion... this thing sucks in a LOT OF AIR! and quickly! Throttle response is better and it sounds more free flowing. (You know that “sound” you hear when you drop in a CAI?? Well this magnified it a little... it’s great!)
Old 06-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
HCI2000SS

Sounds like it's still learning for sure. I'm just happy to see more options for our V6.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:59 PM   #7
ozcorp

292 HP/254 TQ to the wheels. Dynojet. K&N CAI. Soler Performance 80mm (84 eff) throttle body. HP Tuners.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
HCI2000SS

You're an A8 right? What gear was it dynoed in?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #9
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcorp View Post
292 HP/254 TQ to the wheels. Dynojet. K&N CAI. Soler Performance 80mm (84 eff) throttle body. HP Tuners.
Any idea on numbers prior to the ported TB install. It would be nice to have before and after numbers, to get a better idea of what the TB actually accomplished.
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #10
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker75 View Post
Any idea on numbers prior to the ported TB install. It would be nice to have before and after numbers, to get a better idea of what the TB actually accomplished.
From my understanding Soler doesn't claim any official numbers at WOT. This mod alone really doesn't change peak horsepower numbers on its own. It's main purpose is to create better response off idle, and better power down low
Old 07-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #11
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Doesn't the lgx command torque at a given pedal position and gear ...not necessarily just tb position when dealing with the accelerator?

So wouldn't any change in "power" or responsiveness simply be temporary as the car learned the air flow characteristics at different tb positions so that the torque it commands becomes the torque it sees ?

effectively the car would learn this bigger tb and just open the valve less at any given pedal position. Technically, less movement means less time ...but i'm pretty sure we'd be talking a couple milliseconds at these distances.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #12
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Doesn't the lgx command torque at a given pedal position and gear ...not necessarily just tb position when dealing with the accelerator?

So wouldn't any change in "power" or responsiveness simply be temporary as the car learned the air flow characteristics at different tb positions so that the torque it commands becomes the torque it sees ?

effectively the car would learn this bigger tb and just open the valve less at any given pedal position. Technically, less movement means less time ...but i'm pretty sure we'd be talking a couple milliseconds at these distances.
I asked Soler about this, and they said that would not be the case. Not sure how it works exactly
Old 07-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #13
Wipeyourself

Drives: 2019 2LT RS V6 A8
I'm not sure where I stand on this. If the throttle body is bigger and aggressively tapers down with a 1/4inch spacer it may cause a turbulent event as air enters the intake reducing flow. Needs a better transition. This is opinion not a fact. I have been working in a performance engine shop for the last ten years. All I do is cylinder head work/porting and such. When I say this think carb'd v8. I do work on fuel injection stuff, but not as often. I agree with cellsafemode's thoughts on computer control.
Wipeyourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #14
HCI2000SS

Here is a question and answer regarding how the car would adapt to the TB over time

Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Is the control module targeting a MAF command and adjusting accordingly? Over time, will it "learn" back to similar response levels to stock in order to hit the same air flow commands?

Soler Performance response: No, long term performance shows no changes in this regard. Seems like fuel follows airflow, and spark timing is the limiting tool the ECM uses to reduce torque. If torque limits for any given set of conditions are not exceeded, then, timing won't get on the way.

It only takes installing the stock TB back, to remind us.

Tags
lgx, soler performance, throttle body