Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-12-2020, 11:45 PM   #127
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
Why would you still need to have a throttle controller after you've had it tuned?
I had the Vitesse as well, but felt it was not really necessary after I bought the TB from Soler. My car seems to be a bit unusual, and had the surge issue a couple months into the new TB. Mike was really helpful and got me a tweaked one, but now the surge is coming back, and I'm hoping to just go to a tuner to be done with it once and for all.
as I understand it, a tune deals with A/F ratios, timing, etc. But they don't really touch the throttle mapping between the pedal and TB motor. From what I understand, which may not be a lot, that this is one area that tuners can't really get to. I've read that messing with throttle mapping runs a risk of bricking an ECU.

The only thing a throttle controller does is increase the voltage signal sent from the pedal to the throttle body motor, causing it to open wider, faster. That's it, all it does. An example of the throttle mapping from the factory is when you press the pedal to 25%, the throttle only opens to about 15%. The more you press the throttle after that, the more linear it gets. The TC makes it more linear throughout the pedal range. Kind of like it was in the old days of throttle cables. "push an inch, get an inch"

The issue folks have, or at least had on the 5th gens, was occasionally the signal would "glitch" for lack of a better term, and the ECU would read a difference between the TB blade and the pedal, and throw a code a reduce engine power. Easily fixed by shutting down and recalibrating, but a PIA when it happened.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #128
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAtilidk View Post
I received and install mines this past weekend. Install was simple enough and I appreciated the variability in the throttle now. What's the pros of pairing it with the throttle body, if any? I haven't quite understood what I would be gaining to have the throttle body, no tune and a thrtle controller.
Thanks! Our throttle bodies will allow more air for every single throttle position after idle. This translates into a better response in terms of time and smoothness/predictability. It adds or multiplies to what the TC does, but this effect coming from the TB is real air/power, not simulated. Also, at wide-open throttle, you'll have a flow area equivalent to that of a 91mm throttle body, see pic below (up from 87mm stock TB) which increases your car's capacity to add air/power, especially when combined with other modifications.
Attached Images

Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #129
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS A8 "Dark Knight"
Nothing but good things to say about Mike, Awesome customer service, build quality second to none, fast shipping and at the low end for price spectrum.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #130
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Wow! Installed today actually did it at work and what and amazing ride home.
I of course put it right on LU-1.
Power at the touch of a toe, since it’s available right at start of movement you get the sensation that you actually gained HP.
The throttle response wakes the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post
Thank you very much. All weekend orders will be shipping today, so you shall have it soon.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #131
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Great. Thanks everybody!
Old 06-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #132
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Fitting mine this week!
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #133
MakCamaro
Makis

Installed mine today. I hid the part that connects to the gas pedal under the carpet. I didn't want the controller to be visible either, so I 've hidden it in the cavity under the steering wheel. A neat installation, nothing is visible. I put it to P2.5 and the response is amazing. Huge smile on my face, a totally different driving experience! The throttle map should have come like this from factory. I don't think I will be able to drive the car without the controller any more, I absolutely recommend it!
Old 06-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #134
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I definitely need to speak with Mike. I need this
Flowtie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #135
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Am I misremembering or did the price of the Throttle Controller go from $75 to $95?
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #136
MakCamaro
Makis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowtie1 View Post
I definitely need to speak with Mike. I need this
Yes you do! Actually everybody needs this!
Old 06-15-2020, 03:26 AM   #137
MakCamaro
Makis

This is where I placed the controller (in the cavity area under the steering wheel) and the view to my pedals after hiding the little black box behind the carpet.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2020, 07:19 AM   #138
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
as I understand it, a tune deals with A/F ratios, timing, etc. But they don't really touch the throttle mapping between the pedal and TB motor. From what I understand, which may not be a lot, that this is one area that tuners can't really get to. I've read that messing with throttle mapping runs a risk of bricking an ECU.

The only thing a throttle controller does is increase the voltage signal sent from the pedal to the throttle body motor, causing it to open wider, faster. That's it, all it does. An example of the throttle mapping from the factory is when you press the pedal to 25%, the throttle only opens to about 15%. The more you press the throttle after that, the more linear it gets. The TC makes it more linear throughout the pedal range. Kind of like it was in the old days of throttle cables. "push an inch, get an inch"

The issue folks have, or at least had on the 5th gens, was occasionally the signal would "glitch" for lack of a better term, and the ECU would read a difference between the TB blade and the pedal, and throw a code a reduce engine power. Easily fixed by shutting down and recalibrating, but a PIA when it happened.
Yes, I know how a throttle controller works, thanks
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #139
MakCamaro
Makis

One question and I suppose this one goes probably to Mike, unless anyone else knows the answer.

I know that if I need to return the throttle response to normal, I simply have to switch to the NOR mode. However...

Assuming that I am on a trip and for any reason I need to remove the controller, do I have to simply unplug it and the throttle response will return to normal (stock)? Or I will have to remove the little black box that connects to the gas pedal as well?
Old 06-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #140
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
One question and I suppose this one goes probably to Mike, unless anyone else knows the answer.

I know that if I need to return the throttle response to normal, I simply have to switch to the NOR mode. However...

Assuming that I am on a trip and for any reason I need to remove the controller, do I have to simply unplug it and the throttle response will return to normal (stock)? Or I will have to remove the little black box that connects to the gas pedal as well?
Yes, you need to disconnect the host unit (black box) and reconnect pedal directly to ECM harness.