Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
ll Hexy

Drives: 2021 Camaro ss
Scratched bottom of the side skirt

Left work parking lot yesterday where I had parked next to a curb. Didn’t realize curb was at angle as I pulled through and I climbed it on the passenger side as it scraped the passenger bottom side skirt. Damage isn’t noticeable unless car is examined underneath thankfully. However, as it’s brand new I’d like to have some sort of repair for peace of mind. Don’t know if I should try it myself with touch up paint or take it a body shop or dealership. Any body have experience with this issue?
Attached Images

ll Hexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
I'd leave it if you can't see it unless you look for it. It's plastic, so not like it will rust or anything down the road.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
Personally, I'd clean it, put a little touch up paint on and buff it smooth as best as possible. Should be able to make it look good from 5ft pretty easily. No risk of rust since it's plastic. Just remember (if you aren't already well versed in using touch up) less is definitely more!

As a daily, or even just regular driver, I wouldn't sweat any underside scrapes. That's to be expected with anything other than a collector car and shouldn't be a factor with resale/trade-in value should you decide to sell down the road.

That being said, I can totally understand the pain of just knowing it's there and not perfect.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
ll Hexy

Drives: 2021 Camaro ss
Thanks for the replies. Probably going to look into purchasing the riverside blue touch up kit off Amazon and giving it a go
ll Hexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Instead of touching it up, which probably won't look that good anyway, I'd spray it with some bedliner. That way, if it happens again, you can easily touch it up again. You can do the other side as well so it looks like it came from the factory that way.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
The bed liner suggestion is what I did on three of my previous Corvettes, except I rolled it on after masking off where I wanted it applied. A fool car lot attendant drove over a curbing in the 2012 Grand Sport and left similar damage which I didn't realize until 150 miles later after the maiden drive home. I wasn't about to take the car back to the dealer after that.

Mask the area off on both sides, sand it smooth if you want and apply the bed liner product with a foam brush or roller. It will provide protection against future rock chips.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #7
Dougyfd

Drives: 2019 camaro
I would sand it gently with a 220 grit sandpaper , then follow it up with 320 or 400 just to smoothen it out , then spray several light coats of Riverside blue on it with 15 mins between each coat. 4 to 5 total coats. I bought a spray can from R & E paint supply , I think they're out of Arkansas, very fast shipping. The paint code is WA 627D. It cost $21.95 plus $6.75 for shipping. I had a discount code from the internet that gave an additional 5% off. It was a quality product that came with two different spray caps for a wide or narrow spray. Hope this helps!
Dougyfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #8
oklahomaguy

Drives: camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougyfd View Post
I would sand it gently with a 220 grit sandpaper , then follow it up with 320 or 400 just to smoothen it out , then spray several light coats of Riverside blue on it with 15 mins between each coat. 4 to 5 total coats. I bought a spray can from R & E paint supply , I think they're out of Arkansas, very fast shipping. The paint code is WA 627D. It cost $21.95 plus $6.75 for shipping. I had a discount code from the internet that gave an additional 5% off. It was a quality product that came with two different spray caps for a wide or narrow spray. Hope this helps!
I agree with this.
oklahomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:47 AM   #9
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
This appears to be on the underside of the rocker panel, If you are that concerned about it, especially on a new car, save yourself the frustration and had it fixed properly. It's a new car, you'll want it to look flawless, otherwise it could drive you crazy every time you look at it, and you know you will.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:25 AM   #10
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
This appears to be on the underside of the rocker panel, If you are that concerned about it, especially on a new car, save yourself the frustration and had it fixed properly. It's a new car, you'll want it to look flawless, otherwise it could drive you crazy every time you look at it, and you know you will.
One hundred percent. Old Chinese saying: "Buy the best and cry once!"
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #11
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
I totally agree as it’s a brand new 2021 I would have it fixed properly, if for nothing else peace of mind. Down the road remember it is very easy to ride a curb in these cars due to poor side visibility...
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #12
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
I totally agree as it’s a brand new 2021 I would have it fixed properly, if for nothing else peace of mind. Down the road remember it is very easy to ride a curb in these cars due to poor side visibility...
The only issue I see is the rocker panel on the 6th gen goes almost halfway up the rear quarter panel. I wish they didn't do that. Unless they can color match it properly, which is a crap shoot, they may have to do a "blend" into adjacent body panels.

If it was me, I'd try to keep the respray confined to very bottom using the bottom side edge as my boundary. That's just me though since I never had good results with body shop "blends" on my previous vehicles.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:57 AM   #13
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
I'd almost have to see the damage in person to judge what I would do.. As others have said, I would definitely be concerned with a color match if you take it somewhere for a respray. I would hate to dig into the factory paint with blending, but I've rarely seen resprays that match 100%.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #14
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Hexy View Post
Thanks for the replies. Probably going to look into purchasing the riverside blue touch up kit off Amazon and giving it a go
I wouldnt buy the touch up paint from Amazon. Get it from the dealer. I bought it for my car from Amazon and it didnt match even with the correct color code.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote