Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Molasar
Stormtrooper Edition

Drives: 2016 2SS
How to clean white leather seats?

This was originally a question thread for ways to clean the white leather seats in some of our Camaros. Mine had not been cleaned in months and while I drive about once a week in my car if that, they were turning brown over time.

Some research online pointed me towards Mr Clean Magic Erasers and a plastic/pliable brush.

Went out, sprayed some cleaner(I use West Coast Custom spray from Walmart but I'm sure any leather cleaner will do), lightly brushed the entire seat with the magic eraser, then wiped it clean with a microfiber, then sprayed again and repeated with the eraser, then wiped dry, sprayed again and lightly used the brush, wiped clean and wow.. My seats look damn near new.

I wish I had gotten some pictures but I didn't figure it would work so well, by the time I thought of doing pictures I was already onto the lesser stained passenger seat. All in I spent about $13 and 30 minutes and my seats look GREAT. The only thing worth noting is you want to get the EXTRA DURABLE magic eraser, the regular one will fall apart when you try to even lightly scrub. Dollar General carries their brand of extra durable erasers for $2 for 2.

I know there will be that as a show room Camaro that will likely advise against this. But for my daily driver it worked great, I noticed no damage or scratching at all and am very pleased with the results. Hope this helped!

Last edited by Molasar; 09-18-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Molasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
i doubt anything is gonna make it like new, id try a leather trim shop to see what they think. they may have a steam tool to help.

if you have a new white interior, dont let it get dirty, use an AIRES seat saver around town and when youre just commuting, etc ..... goes on and off in 3 min...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
Molasar
Stormtrooper Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
i doubt anything is gonna make it like new, id try a leather trim shop to see what they think. they may have a steam tool to help.

if you have a new white interior, dont let it get dirty, use an AIRES seat saver around town and when youre just commuting, etc ..... goes on and off in 3 min...
Tried a magic eraser method just now.. 30 minutes later and my seats look darn close to new. I won't say new as you can tell someones sat in them for 20k+ miles but they are very white! Edited original post to hopefully help someone else.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasar View Post
Tried a magic eraser method just now.. 30 minutes later and my seats look darn close to new. I won't say new as you can tell someones sat in them for 20k+ miles but they are very white! Edited original post to hopefully help someone else.
I really wish you wouldn't have done that. Magic erasers are the equivalent of 3600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Long-term it abraids the surface and damages it.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...r-by-kevin-woo
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
Molasar
Stormtrooper Edition

I see no damage on the seats at all.
To each his own. Still appreciate your feedback/help.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
oftenimitated

Drives: 2004 Honda Civic+2011 Camaro 2SS
you dont see the damage now but its there. If you keep using it every time it will get worse to where you can tell
oftenimitated is offline   Reply With Quote