Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Woke this morning to this.

Been driving for nearly 6 years. Never had something like this happen.
I came out to my car this morning and well this is there. Looks like someone keyed it.
Going to have to get it fixed. Not sure how much it will cost. It’s deep. It went all the way to the black plastic.
Attached Images

ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
That sucks. Rule of thumb here in Québec is somewhere around 300$ Per panel to be fixed if they blend the colors. If they repaint completely you are easily doubling it. Sometimes they might propose to replace and paint.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
That sucks. Rule of thumb here in Québec is somewhere around 300$ Per panel to be fixed if they blend the colors. If they repaint completely you are easily doubling it. Sometimes they might propose to replace and paint.
Should I go a dealership body shop? Never had this happen.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
That sucks. I'm totally pissed for you.

I have cameras recording to a hard drive pointed at my car for just that sort of thing.

You are looking at the body shop. Not all dealerships have a body shop that can paint. Shop around for the best deal. Probably looking at $500-1000. If you are planning on ever trading this car in, don't report it to insurance. It will cost you more than the repair in decreased value.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I have cams as well, just in case. Did you have any issues with a neighbor? This totally sucks and could lead to homicide if I ever catch anyone in the process.

Some dealers use 3rd party shops for body work. I'm sure you can get a referral at the very least. Hopefully this is just a one off incident and not someone who has it in for you.

Last edited by torqueaddict; 09-11-2018 at 02:08 PM.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
That sucks. I'm totally pissed for you.

I have cameras recording to a hard drive pointed at my car for just that sort of thing.

You are looking at the body shop. Not all dealerships have a body shop that can paint. Shop around for the best deal. Probably looking at $500-1000. If you are planning on ever trading this car in, don't report it to insurance. It will cost you more than the repair in decreased value.
Normally my car in the garage but due to changes going on I had to have the car outside for the week. I’m planning to keep the car for the future, unless something bad happens and it craps out at 70,000 miles or something like that. I’m gonna have to pay in cash to fix it.....I don’t want to but I might have too. I’d rather not get the insurance involved it will cost me more in the long haul if I’m right.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
I have cams as well, just in case. Did you have any issues with a neighbor? This totally sucks and could lead to homicide if I ever catch anyone in the process.

Some dealers use 3rd party shops for body work. I'm sure you can get a referral at the very least. Hopefully this is just a one off incident and not someone who has it in for you.
Unfortunately we have a neighbor that isn’t trust worthy it’s a bunch of kids in a small house across the street. Other than that our neighbor has a boyfriend that has a ghetto SUV with a bunch of lights under it and I don’t trust him. Otherwise I keep to myself, I really do not talk or party. Other than being home I’m at work. I do not believe I saw the scratch at work...
Old 09-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
KirkH

My neighborhood is a decent middle class neighborhood between two 'hoods. The people crossing between the two are the problem.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
My neighborhood is a decent middle class neighborhood between two 'hoods. The people crossing between the two are the problem.
True. I’m going to call around and google who’s the best to get it right. Idk if they will replace the facial or repaint it.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
True. I’m going to call around and google who’s the best to get it right. Idk if they will replace the facial or repaint it.
They will fill and repaint it. You will never know it happened.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #11
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
Normally my car in the garage but due to changes going on I had to have the car outside for the week. I’m planning to keep the car for the future, unless something bad happens and it craps out at 70,000 miles or something like that. I’m gonna have to pay in cash to fix it.....I don’t want to but I might have too. I’d rather not get the insurance involved it will cost me more in the long haul if I’m right.
Vandalism should be covered on the comprehensive part of your policy. It shouldn't affect your premium as it is not a result of a collision. Check your policy. It also depends on what your deductible is, as to whether or not making a claim is worth it.

FWIW, I had something similar happen a few years ago to my DD. Body shop pulled the bumper clip and repaired (3M kit) then painted. They charged my insurance co. $850.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #12
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Vandalism should be covered on the comprehensive part of your policy. It shouldn't affect your premium as it is not a result of a collision. Check your policy. It also depends on what your deductible is, as to whether or not making a claim is worth it.

FWIW, I had something similar happen a few years ago to my DD. Body shop pulled the bumper clip and repaired (3M kit) then painted. They charged my insurance co. $850.
The problem with reporting to insurance is if you go to trade it, they ask "has there ever been an insurance claim on the vehicle?" and then it decreases the trade value 20%.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #13
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
The problem with reporting to insurance is if you go to trade it, they ask "has there ever been an insurance claim on the vehicle?" and then it decreases the trade value 20%.
No collision involved. Not a problem.

Document the minor damage (a scratch), save the receipt and documentation from the body shop. Keep that info with your maintenance log. Info is available when selling or trading.

FWIW, I sold my previously scratched car for $1100 over KBB excellent cond.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:05 PM   #14
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
No collision involved. Not a problem.

Document the minor damage (a scratch), save the receipt and documentation from the body shop. Keep that info with your maintenance log. Info is available when selling or trading.

FWIW, I sold my previously scratched car for $1100 over KBB excellent cond.
Hmm, good to know. I had a pop up tent blow away in a storm and scratch up my car for about $3000 worth of damage. Scratched the roof and 3 panels. When I went to fill out the info to consider trading, it asked me for ANY insurance claims on the vehicle. When I said yes, it dinged the value almost for almost $4000.