Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-26-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Question for someone with paint knowledge

What you’re looking at is my front end. In a nutshell I’m presently having it repainted back to perfect and Xpel applied.

My question is about the rock chips you see, primarily on the splitter. I had the front end repainted about three years ago.

Just to be clear, I live in the country so rock chips are expected and while I don’t drive down gravel roads there’s plenty of gravel to be found.

Having said that, my concern is that those paint chips look like a cheap paint job was applied, which it wasn’t, and it certainly didn’t chip like a new car’s paint would chip.

Basically just bestow your opinion on that paint condition in the chipping durability arena or anything you notice so I can lern sumtin.

Name:  DA45FA62-E8F6-4BD0-8C96-306C37E57DC5.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  76.0 KB
Name:  C1F83540-B2C0-4622-A983-34B84C5B1158.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  61.0 KB
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:09 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
The front bumper is plastic, it cannot be heated up like a metal or aluminum to bake the paint on.

Because the paint isn't heated up, it will be soft. Where the plastic is showing it is evident it wasn't prepped with plastic primer. To do this properly the paint must be stripped, cleaned, and proper plastic primer used.

A little extra hardener in the paint isn't a bad idea, since you cannot bake it on.

You cannot apply PPF (Xpel) to fresh paint, it must fully cure and gas out first. Usually takes about 3 months.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #3
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Thanks Joe. That’s great info. I’m getting so aggravated trying to keep the front bumper in good shape. I’ve spent a small fortune on having it repainted/paint and chip repaired since it was new.

I’m considering an entirely new bumper in summit white. They aren’t that expensive.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

PS. Interesting piece of trivia.....For anyone that’s reading this....it’s actually called the bumper cover. Lol
Old 07-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Be sure to get whoever puts the Xpel on to wrap as many edges as possible, since the bumper cover will be off the car when performed, the installer should have no problems with this if he/she is experienced.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:56 AM   #6
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
My black camaro had 16k when I got it. This car has original paint and from experience, it has to be the weakest, thinnest paint job I have ever seen. I look at other cars of various manufacturers and their paint isn’t as bad as GM. Every leading edge or surface is pock marked, not as deep as yours but the paint is compromised like it was sand blasted. The car doesn’t show abuse like it was used off roading. The general condition of the car looks to be about right for the mileage. The engine bay is dusty but looks brand new in there. By the paint, it looks like it’s age is 50-60k miles. It’s good that the manufacturers are using more earth friendly paints but at this rate they should just come from the factory with clear film or a color film. So I echo the replies suggesting clear film. It’s the best solution for paint protection. I clear filmed my headlights successfully just to see how it is to apply and I have to say it feels very durable and workable. I did my z28 grill with lots of complex curves twice. I think It will be acceptable to me on my next attempt. It just takes practice like anything else. In the not so distant future, I predict they won’t paint our cars any longer, it will come with a color film once they figure out how to program robots to apply it.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
The factory paint won't chip that large down there. I think when it was painted, they didn't prep it as well on the bottom part which is hard to get to if they did it on the car. If they painted the bumper off the car, they just missed doing a really good job on the bottom part when they prepped it for paint.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote