Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 04-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
iarepeyton

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6
Rattling from front driver's side (behind dash?)

My friend had the same noise coming from his awhile back and mine just recently started. Has anyone else experienced this?

https://youtu.be/sKHLViAUuBg
iarepeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
jorgeg922

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS
I heard the same thing today on mine, but it was coming from the passenger's side and it went away after a few seconds
jorgeg922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
iarepeyton

I can't figure it out lol. Almost sounds like the liner in the wheel well but I've wiggled it and can't even find a loose spot... It seems to happen at like 40+mph and the only way to make driving bearable is to crank up music.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Check the headliner. Mine had a small rattle the I could turn off by pushing up. Rather than have the dealer replace the headliner, I just put a small piece of foam in that area (from the front) and have not had the issue since.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
I have a nearly identical rattle behind my driver side dash, near the left hand side of the gauge cluster. I initially thought it was the hood release cable, inside the engine bay but that wasn't it. I've tried nearly every other "easy" fix I have found (pushing on headliner, pushing on AC vents, tightened MyLink screen bolts, and so on)

The noise drives me crazy, and only really presents itself at highway speed (60mph+) or over bumpy roads. During my many searches on this forum hoping to find an answer, I found this post (#20) by 2SSLOWW:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=20

Their issue was a missing/loose screw on the gauge cluster.

With that information and some screenshots of the gauge cluster screw locations I went to my dealer and asked them to take a look - provided all of the info, including the likely culprit.

I asked to ride along with the tech when they tried to reproduce the issue - this seemed to shock my service writer, and he said that if they couldn't reproduce it on their own test drive they would let me come along. I insisted I be in the car any time they drive it off the lot. They didn't seem to like that, but eventually agreed.

After riding with the tech and reproducing the issue (the tech heard it as well), I waited nearly 4 hours only for them to come back and say "Yeah, we think it is something in or near the gauge cluster, so we'll need to keep the car overnight and take apart the dash". Oh yeah, and they didn't have any loaner cars available.

I took my car home, and have just lived with the rattle so far Hoping a local performance shop will be able to locate it and fix the issue at some point.
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
iarepeyton

Awesome information, thank you! I also thought it was the hood release cable cuz it’s the only thing that makes a similar noise in the engine bay. I actually haven’t tried pushing on dash components or the headliner because it just doesn’t sound like something on the surface. I’m a little over an hour from the dealership I got mine at but I trust them and they have great customer service so will probably be worth the drive. I sure hope that is the issue lol, do you mind sharing your screenshots of the screw locations?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
I used the 6le designs gauge overlay instructions for reference, found here:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447174

pages 7 and 8 of their instructions show the gauge cluster with the outside trim removed, and the screws/bolt locations. These looked like the most logical source of the rattle, if it is indeed coming from a loose/missing screw.

If I'm not able to find a place to fix it, I may just take the dash apart myself - it honestly doesn't look that hard, and I already did part of it when I installed the silver ZL1 ignition button.
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #8
iarepeyton

Thank you!! If my dealership can't figure it out, I'll probably end up doing it myself too. It's worth all that's lost just to get rid of that unbearable sound...
Old 04-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #9
DesmonicDuc46

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS 1LE
My 1LE (different gauge cluster) does the same thing, attempting to have the dealer look at it tomorrow.
DesmonicDuc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
jbohannon

Drives: 1969 Camaro 2018 ZL1
I have an 18 ZL1 with same issue. If you look under driver side wheel well where the giant spring is, there is a sticker attached to it. When driving it flaps around and hits the wheel well, and the sound travels up into cabin. I removed this sticker and the sound went away. Its kind of a tight fit, but I was able to reach both hands under there and pull it off. Would definitely be easier using pliers.

The sound was driving me crazy, glad its gone!
jbohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #11
iarepeyton

This one? Sounds a little like a harder tapping but i have no problem removing a sticker lol.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #12
DesmonicDuc46

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS 1LE
My dealer found the rattle and said there's a service bulletin for a screw on the dash that needs to be tightened. I don't have the bulletin reference but my noise is gone now.
DesmonicDuc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
iarepeyton

That’s good news. Maybe they won’t look at me clueless when I take it in. I just have to find the time lol. You all have been very helpful, thank you!!
Old 04-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #14
iarepeyton

Just fyi I cut that sticker/tag off and it still makes the noise. Looks like it’s going to require a trip to the dealership!