Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-17-2016, 12:51 AM   #1
TrickracenLS3

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
GM OEM COLD AIR AIR INTAKE FINALLY ON CHEVY.COM

Looks like the cold air intake is finally available to order. I will check my work tomorrow.

http://www.chevrolet.com/ownership/a...185022%3A1%3A0

Part Name: Performance Air Intake, For use with SS models
Part #: 84073382
Brand: Chevrolet OEM

MSRP:
$525.00

Also mentions nothing of a Tune included that some people have spoke of. I will try to verify that tomorrow.
Current: 2016 Tahoe LT
Current: 2018 Mini Countryman S
TrickracenLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:58 AM   #2
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Link is a dead end.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:42 AM   #3
pinoyscorpion951

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow 2SS A8
Tried to purchase one. Says online sales not available in my area (Socal). Visit dealer to purchase. WTH?
pinoyscorpion951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
KoolHyperBlue

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS -NPP,Mag Ride
When are you people gonna get it through your head that cold air intakes are a waste of money and don't add anything . they look cool and that's about it . I use to think they added HP & TQ and always bought them for previous Camaro I had and a C7 but after putting it on and tuning the car , I actually had less HP and TQ then before . it's especially worse for automatic cars cuz most of these are designed and tested on manuals not autos . Anyhow it's your money and do what you want but they don't add anything
KoolHyperBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolHyperBlue View Post
When are you people gonna get it through your head that cold air intakes are a waste of money and don't add anything . they look cool and that's about it . I use to think they added HP & TQ and always bought them for previous Camaro I had and a C7 but after putting it on and tuning the car , I actually had less HP and TQ then before . it's especially worse for automatic cars cuz most of these are designed and tested on manuals not autos . Anyhow it's your money and do what you want but they don't add anything
I love Chevy's product description:

Quote:
Add an element of performance-oriented style to your Camaro engine with this Performance Air Intake.
LOL no promise of performance increases at all but it'll make your engine look cool!

Has there ever been a Chevy performance car that came with a CAI out of the factory? With all the testing and engineering they've done to make their cars go faster and yet they apparently see no benefit to having one.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
Captain Slow

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolHyperBlue View Post
Because sitting still on a dyno is the best way to measure an intake.

Thanks for sharing your miopic take on things, though.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Because sitting still on a dyno is the best way to measure an intake.

Thanks for sharing your miopic take on things, though.
Got any specific proof other than sellers examples. Add cam, exhaust and headers and maybe cai will help. CAI By its self not much help for five + bills.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
Master357

Drives: 2017 1LE
Appears to be the same part as...

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...r-intake-1.htm

Phastek claims it makes power. Cold air intakes may not make the kind of difference they used to make. But today's manufacturers are still burdened by noise and fuel restrictions and then there is the accountants down the hall trying to count the beans. And then there are the accessory sales department guys wanting a product to sell.

Plenty of reasons why a car gets released with something other than the PERFECT intake pipe and filter.

I'll give you this last morsel of thought, do you think the PCV system is the most perfect design. No, it is the most economical design to help the bottom line, or there would be a catch can installed. Hell even GM sells a catch can off the gen 5 1LE, they know the PCV system is flawed. You don't think they know they COULD have put an air filter with more surface area?
Master357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #9
Captain Slow

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Got any specific proof other than sellers examples. Add cam, exhaust and headers and maybe cai will help. CAI By its self not much help for five + bills.
Proof of what? I replied to someone who said they're a waste and gained nothing. You're saying they gain a little when used along side a cam and bolts ons.

An intake is just a piece of the puzzle. Parts compliment one another. Putting an intake on a 100% stock car and testing it while sitting still with some fans on it will yield just as disappointing results as installing a healthy cam as a first mod.

I find this board to be pretty funny. Everyone thinks their SS and the LT1 is the greatest thing ever, but they're skeptics about the thing making power with parts that have been making power since forever.

My 02 SS gained .2 and a few mph with just an intake (blackwing/fast toys cold air)

Not sure why it autocorrected to "miopic"..
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
John20162SS

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master357 View Post
Yes, it looks exactly the same
John20162SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post

LOL no promise of performance increases at all but it'll make your engine look cool!

Has there ever been a Chevy performance car that came with a CAI out of the factory? With all the testing and engineering they've done to make their cars go faster and yet they apparently see no benefit to having one.

The Z28 came with a CAI.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-original.jpg
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #12
49North1LE

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE G7C,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post

The MY 2014/2015 Z/28 is factory CAI equipped.
49North1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #13
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Once the mass airflow sensor became part of the electronics of engine operations management, the aftermarket cold air intake became useless. No matter how much air flows through, the MAF and ECM will conspire to run the engine at optimum performance and efficiency as programmed in the ECM.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #14
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
If you want to be a stickler, the stock box is a cai. It takes air directly from behind the headlight which is open to the outside air and separated from the engine bay.

Aftermarket options are attempts at being more efficient versions.

The hope being that the air can get to the engine cooler and with less resistance, improving timing and throttle response. If it can do that it will show even on a modern vehicle like ours because a stock system will suffer from heat soak more than most aftermarket and there is where your performance comes. All the ecu will do is ensure the right volume of air is still getting to the engine. If you're getting a cai thinking it will get more air into the engine, yea, you'll need a tune.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote