Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Windshield replacement.

My Camaro is my daily driver. About 2 weeks after I bought it, I caught a rock near the outer edge of the windshield, which left a small star-shaped pock mark. I had it filled for ~$50, understanding that it was still possible for the crack to spread.

Which it did today in the 100+ degree heat.

So. GM quoted me $497 and at least two weeks wait for a replacement, or I can go with an aftermarket product. Ordinarily, the second option wouldn't bug me, but I have a 2SS with a HUD display, and I am concerned about the quality of the aftermarket products and the display.

Anyone else needed to replace a windshield yet? Or have any insight on this?

Thanks.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Man View Post
My Camaro is my daily driver. About 2 weeks after I bought it, I caught a rock near the outer edge of the windshield, which left a small star-shaped pock mark. I had it filled for ~$50, understanding that it was still possible for the crack to spread.

So. GM quoted me $497 and at least two weeks wait for a replacement, or I can go with an aftermarket product. Ordinarily, the second option wouldn't bug me, but I have a 2SS with a HUD display, and I am concerned about the quality of the aftermarket products and the display.

Thanks.
I would get the factory glass since you have the HUD. I guess we are lucky here in Florida since we have $0 deductible on windshields.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #3
tcal780

Drives: 16 1SS White M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Man View Post

Thanks.
I'd check your insurance policy first. You may have a policy with $0 deductible glass replacement.
tcal780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
Mine has the exact same thing (star shaped crack).. I have not had the time to get it fixed. In the C7 with a HUD..you have to specify that to the glass company. Apparently it has a coating that makes the HUD more visible. You did answer my question on having it filled..thanks for the info
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Oil Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown450 View Post
Mine has the exact same thing (star shaped crack).. I have not had the time to get it fixed. In the C7 with a HUD..you have to specify that to the glass company. Apparently it has a coating that makes the HUD more visible. You did answer my question on having it filled..thanks for the info
Mine was near the margin of the winshield, which was good and bad. Good because it wasn't in my line of sight while it was still just a star, bad because the repair people are limited in how much they can do with cracks close to the edge. They told me this up front, and I understood that what happened was possible.

Busy with work through the weekend, but I am going to contact my insurance people on Monday and find out about mitigating costs. I want OEM glass, because of the HUD. Finding it might be an ordeal. I will call around.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
You should be able to go through Safelite for a factory replacement. I had them replace the windshield in my wife's Mustang and it was a an OEM piece. It was also very easy with my insurance.
2018 Kenetic Blue Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab (8A)
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I have had excellent service by Safelite. Call your insurance company and you should be covered. Since you have HUD you MUST get the genuine Chevrolet/General Motors part as there is a special film on the part in front of the HUD that is calibrated at the factory for optimum focus and angle reflection. No aftermarket windshield can guarantee OEM performance.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
Com69
Banned

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6M Nightfall Gray
We use Safelite almost exclusively. Very rarely can Payless or any other glass company undercut their price. And Derek(our Safelite guy) does excellent work, quickly and neatly. Even though he's a Mustang guy, has at least 6 in his yard, we still like him.
Com69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:54 AM   #9
Oil Man

Thank you all for the replies.

After reading them, I am absolutely going to get OEM glass. I have a call in to Safelite and an appointment to replace it Wednesday, though I was waiting to hear back to confirm that they indeed have OEM glass in stock (Chevy dealers locally do NOT have any)

Hopefully, Safelite has some stashed somewhere.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
so what happen with this and how much did you end up paying?
Old 04-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I had a rock fly up from a car ahead of me and it hit the passenger side of the windshield. Safelite repaired mine and so far so good. I paid about $100.00 to get it repaired about a year and a half ago.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #12
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #13
BlkReaper

Drives: 2016 2ss
For anyone who needs this later on.

You can go aftermarket. I used to work at Carlex glass. Oem and aftermarket is exactly the same on almost all cars. They come down the same line. It cost too much in tooling for another company to make the same glass. Not saying it’s impossible but most of the time true. The only difference between oem and aftermarket is tolerances. Oem requires slightly tighter tolerances. However, most of the time when you have an aftermarket shipment coming up you put all your good glass in that shipment even if it’s good enough to be oem.

And as far as hud goes our cars should be new enough where it’s not a film. It’s an IR costing. This makes it even harder for some other company to retool their lines to run it.

Aftermarket is OEM
BlkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #14
Calcanuck

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I have had excellent service by Safelite. Call your insurance company and you should be covered. Since you have HUD you MUST get the genuine Chevrolet/General Motors part as there is a special film on the part in front of the HUD that is calibrated at the factory for optimum focus and angle reflection. No aftermarket windshield can guarantee OEM performance.
Had my replaced with Safelite and I have the HUD. It was covered by insurance and everything works fine.