Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
NightSkyCode
Owned gen 4, 5 and 6

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmec View Post
Get real tires. A bunch of extra weight in your trunk isn't going to help you stop.
Weight is not for stopping man, its so you can pull through snow easier and prevents you from getting stuck. It has nothing to do with stopping. I can attest, it does help pull through snow easier with a few bags pushing down on your tires. Ive been doing it for years. It actually may make stopping even more difficult (not much), as more weight means more momentum.... its science bro. Inertia is a property of matter. Thanks Nye.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #16
tecmec

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyCode View Post
Weight is not for stopping man, its so you can pull through snow easier and prevents you from getting stuck. It has nothing to do with stopping. I can attest, it does help pull through snow easier with a few bags pushing down on your tires.
I know it's not going to help you stop, that's my point.

If you want the tires to cut through the snow more, get narrower winter tires. Adding weight isn't going to give a net advantage, it's just simple physics.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
tecmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #17
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Never put weight in the trunk of the Mustang when I had it. All I had was the factory all season tires and I never got stuck once in Chicago Winters.

Now if you want something that will make a difference, get some good snow tires.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #18
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
To anyone who drives in the winter do you have sand in your trunk or cat litter?
Thanks
I never need that stuff with what I drive in the winter.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 PM   #19
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I drive a Duramax lol
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #20
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmec View Post

If you want the tires to cut through the snow more, get narrower winter tires.
I love seeing this recirculated.

Oh, that's a little harsh, but if you are driving through that much snow, you are definitely not driving a Camaro. I have driven my gen5 extensively in snow and I know just how much it takes before you are basically a snow-plow with the front end. The "get a narrower tire for getting through the snow" thing pretty much doesn't apply. We don't have the ground clearance where that makes sense. Now, there's no reason to be running huge 285 winter tires either, even though they do make them. They tend to be ultra expensive and you are usually exposing wide expensive rims to the winter conditions/damage and going with that bigger rim and lower-profile tire isn't a great idea for the varied conditions you are likely to encounter, so there are some reasons to change your tire size, but it's not so you can "sink through the snow to get traction".

The guy about the weight is right. Driving in a RWD sports car with more weight on the front is about as bad as it gets, the only thing worse is adding an automatic so you can't feather the clutch, but at that point it's not dramatically worse. Winter tires and a little strategic weight can radically alter this.

Most winter driving is driving on ice and compacted snow, vs. on fresh fallen snow, at least in my experience. Sure, every once and a while it snows, but it's a lot easier to not go driving on a few select days than stay home the entire winter, driving day to day on the compacted snow and ice is mostly what winter driving is around here. If you are somewhere like Alta, UT, where it snows every few days, then maybe not, but then you are going to need a serious snow-vehicle to get around anyway.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #21
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I love seeing this recirculated.

Oh, that's a little harsh, but if you are driving through that much snow, you are definitely not driving a Camaro. I have driven my gen5 extensively in snow and I know just how much it takes before you are basically a snow-plow with the front end. The "get a narrower tire for getting through the snow" thing pretty much doesn't apply. We don't have the ground clearance where that makes sense. Now, there's no reason to be running huge 285 winter tires either, even though they do make them. They tend to be ultra expensive and you are usually exposing wide expensive rims to the winter conditions/damage and going with that bigger rim and lower-profile tire isn't a great idea for the varied conditions you are likely to encounter, so there are some reasons to change your tire size, but it's not so you can "sink through the snow to get traction".

The guy about the weight is right. Driving in a RWD sports car with more weight on the front is about as bad as it gets, the only thing worse is adding an automatic so you can't feather the clutch, but at that point it's not dramatically worse. Winter tires and a little strategic weight can radically alter this.

Most winter driving is driving on ice and compacted snow, vs. on fresh fallen snow, at least in my experience. Sure, every once and a while it snows, but it's a lot easier to not go driving on a few select days than stay home the entire winter, driving day to day on the compacted snow and ice is mostly what winter driving is around here. If you are somewhere like Alta, UT, where it snows every few days, then maybe not, but then you are going to need a serious snow-vehicle to get around anyway.

However to OP's question, if you really do need to carry more weight in the trunk even just for peace of mind, I would do cat litter. It has uses beyond traction since you can also use it to absorb fluid spills in your garage.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote