Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #225
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
on that link, what is the diff between the regular and race filters??
CAI description - no race filter:
"Upgrade the look, sound and performance of your sixth-gen Camaro with these performance air intakes. The LT1 intake
reduces air intake restriction by up to 17% at peak airflow..."

Race filter description:
"When maximum airflow is all you need, this Cold Air Intake System Race Filter has you covered. Designed for the Camaro SS drag racer, this high-flow dry media race filter provides up to a 51% reduction in restriction at 350 g/sec (compared to the production Camaro LT1 Air Induction System) for the ultimate off-road drag strip performance."

Looks like it compliments the air intake a bit better. That's just going off of the descriptions though.

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:03 AM   #226
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordRacingCaptain View Post
CAI description - no race filter:
"Upgrade the look, sound and performance of your sixth-gen Camaro with these performance air intakes. The LT1 intake
reduces air intake restriction by up to 17% at peak airflow..."

Race filter description:
"When maximum airflow is all you need, this Cold Air Intake System Race Filter has you covered. Designed for the Camaro SS drag racer, this high-flow dry media race filter provides up to a 51% reduction in restriction at 350 g/sec (compared to the production Camaro LT1 Air Induction System) for the ultimate off-road drag strip performance."

Looks like it compliments the air intake a bit better. That's just going off of the descriptions though.

Thanks - not sure how I missed that info on the link
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:19 AM   #227
HartfordRacingCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
Thanks - not sure how I missed that info on the link
The CAI description is from the chevy performance catalog and the race filter is from TCPG's separate page for it, you didnt miss anything

Old 11-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #228
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:
The CAI description is from the chevy performance catalog and the race filter is from TCPG's separate page for it, you didnt miss anything
thank you for restoring my sanity
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #229
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Anybody have any before and after dyno to show the HP increase of the intake and tune?
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #230
Subcool

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I posted my before and after dyno results in the 1 le section a couple months ago I️ had about a 10 hp loss from stock with the new intake and the gm tune
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #231
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcool View Post
I posted my before and after dyno results in the 1 le section a couple months ago I️ had about a 10 hp loss from stock with the new intake and the gm tune
Well thank you Debbie Downer! Subcool indeed....

Sorry man, just jerkin' your chain. We all know dyno results will vary from day to day with changes in barometric pressure, etc... And I'll admit I haven't even read your post yet about your pre and post testing and how close they were together.

I haven't had my car re-flashed yet, but I can hear the intake "whoosh" now when I have the rev match turned on! I'm liking the results so far but it's totally subjective but I can feel no negative effects on my butt dyno at this point. I'm scheduled to have mine re-flashed tomorrow.

Hopefully Chevy has their act together on this last 50 state legal intake and tune. Thank you for the the info.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #232
Ventmaster

I think I found your thread... seems objective and disappointing but without any hard evidence of a loss of performance. I'm thinking the GM CAI is just what we thought it was, ear and eye candy... with maybe just a chance of improved performance. Kind've like the strut tower brace- not really necessary on the coupe, but it sure looks good!

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...&highlight=CAI
Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #233
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I'm curious to see how much power the race filter adds. another 1-2 hp perhaps and we have ourselves a CAI that may be worth 1-2 hp!
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #234
NightSkyCode
Owned gen 4, 5 and 6

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I think I found your thread... seems objective and disappointing but without any hard evidence of a loss of performance. I'm thinking the GM CAI is just what we thought it was, ear and eye candy... with maybe just a chance of improved performance. Kind've like the strut tower brace- not really necessary on the coupe, but it sure looks good!

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...&highlight=CAI
ear candy much worth it.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #235
obarry13

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
I'm curious to see how much power the race filter adds. another 1-2 hp perhaps and we have ourselves a CAI that may be worth 1-2 hp!
Kinda what I was wondering too. How much performance would it add and if it would be fine on a daily driver.
obarry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #236
HartfordRacingCaptain

Quote:
Well thank you Debbie Downer! Subcool indeed....

Sorry man, just jerkin' your chain. We all know dyno results will vary from day to day with changes in barometric pressure, etc... And I'll admit I haven't even read your post yet about your pre and post testing and how close they were together.

I haven't had my car re-flashed yet, but I can hear the intake "whoosh" now when I have the rev match turned on! I'm liking the results so far but it's totally subjective but I can feel no negative effects on my butt dyno at this point. I'm scheduled to have mine re-flashed tomorrow.

Hopefully Chevy has their act together on this last 50 state legal intake and tune. Thank you for the the info.
How'd the reflash go? Or are you still outside enjoying the wooshes

Old 11-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #237
Ventmaster

Quote:
How'd the reflash go? Or are you still outside enjoying the wooshes
Re-flash went without a hitch and only took one hour! No charge,the labor charge put down as warranty work. The car is running great ( I never got a CEL after install). I can't say for sure I can feel any big difference after- the wife gave me a ride down to pick it up and she's as competitive as they come. If I'd driven hard coming home, she'd have had to stay right with me or take out a Prius (not ours) trying!

I'm looking forward to driving to work in the early am (little traffic and even less risk, if you know what I mean...). I still feel strongly this mod was worth the trouble and cost.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:03 AM   #238
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
I'm thinking the GM CAI is just what we thought it was, ear and eye candy...
That's what pretty much all "cold air intakes" are. GM spent a ton of time and R&D coming up with the proper intake design for the car. If it were that easy to just slap another design on and gain 10hp/10tq and better economy, they would have done this from the start. The computer meters how much air goes through the engine. The cylinders are a fixed volume. There is no forced induction. How are you going to fit more air in there? And if you could, the computer has tell the injectors to send more fuel. There are ways to make more power, like higher rev-limits, meth, cams, and so on, but it's definitely not as simple as just bolt on an intake. I had a short-ram intake on my WRX. Pretty much all it did was suck in hot air when the car was at a standstill. It really had little to do with how much PSI the turbo could ram into the cylinders. If you upgraded to a much bigger turbo, then you needed less restriction on the intake, but without something actually driving a need for that increased flow, it doesn't really make HP by itself.

It sounded cool though, the stock BOV was plenty for turbo noise. Lots of people upgraded BOVs for no reason (again, no need to hold higher PSI unless you had a much stronger turbo on there). The stock snorkel intake included a silencer that made all the turbo-noises go away. With the short ram Subaru Performance Tech intake, turbo noises were back.
Attached Images

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 11-22-2017 at 08:56 AM.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote