Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #43
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
Actually it is the government, the FCC that has a call completion rule that prevents Telco's from blocking.

The FCC has given the OK for Telco's to block Robocalls without being fined, etc.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...C-347787A1.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelflingEssence View Post
The problem with that app (and all apps like it) is that it relies on the integrity if CID. And there is none. It is trivial to spoof CID information and to make it worse there are no reprocussions for doing so.

Fun story: I got a call from my wife (full 10 digit CID) and it was spam. I thought it was funny so I call my wife back...but my line is locked out. I hang up and try again. Apparently at the same time I was getting a spam call from her number she was getting a spam call from my number.

I called Verizon and they said "there's nothing they can do" which translates to "we could do something but it would cost money, we'll wait until the problem reaches critical mass and the government pays us to fix our own problem".

People wine and cry about "guberment opression" but this is what we get when regulations are lax.

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #44
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I am over it enough of this crap
Old 08-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #45
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I second what's been said about nomorobo.com. Works good if you have a landline. One ring and then they're gone. I rarely get one on the cell and then just block the number.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #46
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
Wanna have some fun

Tell them that you are a homicide cop investigating the murder of a person whose phone number this is....Fun times.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #47
GelflingEssence
Banned

Drives: 2016 Challenger SRT 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS50 View Post
Actually it is the government, the FCC that has a call completion rule that prevents Telco's from blocking.

The FCC has given the OK for Telco's to block Robocalls without being fined, etc.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...C-347787A1.pdf
This still relies on the integrity of Caller ID information. With SIP anyone with an internet connection can establish a phone call and set their CID info to be anything they want.
GelflingEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #48
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
The best ones I’ve had are phone calls from my own phone number. It’s happened several times. Recently, they’ve started using my phone prefix to call me. I don’t know anyone with my prefix, so that’s an easy no answer. Maybe they’ll find a solution soon. The problem got worse since VoIP became widespread. The don’t call list worked for a little while
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #49
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
The do not call list helps because many legitimate business will honor it and you can assume any other calls are not legit.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:38 PM   #50
mbnwa

Drives: 18 NGM ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GelflingEssence View Post
This still relies on the integrity of Caller ID information. With SIP anyone with an internet connection can establish a phone call and set their CID info to be anything they want.
As stated in a prior post the FCC is working on this with it's Robocalling Strike Force, I agree that Hiya is not a perfect solution it does however limit the exposure for the time being until the additional solutions can be worked into the infrastructure.

STIR (Secure Telephony Identity Revisited) is the standard developed by IETF that defines a signature to verify the calling number, and specifies how it will be transported in SIP “on the wire” whereas SHAKEN (Signature-based Handling of Asserted information using toKENs) is the framework document developed by ATIS/SIP Forum IP-NNI task force to provide an implementation profile for service providers implementing STIR. SHAKEN/STIR will be the basis for verifying calls, classifying calls and facilitating the ability to trust the caller ID information. However, the full benefits of this standard will only be realized on networks that have been fully transitioned to IP and will offer limited or no mitigation for calls that either originate or terminate on the PSTN.

source article
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
mbnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:09 AM   #51
jingaling

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 MT
I get phone calls to my work phone from bill collectors all the time. They never ask for me or anyone I know, but whenever they ask for a specific person I like to tell them they passed away in a car accident about a week ago ��. I've done this like 10 times already haha. Id love to see one of these ppl faces when they see their credit report and find out they're a dead person haha.
jingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #52
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Just as I’m reading through this thread as I am affected too, here comes one from Goddard, KS. Yet another to BLOCK! Ugh!!!!
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #53
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
I have taken the approach that if I do not recognize the number (from contacts), don’t andwer. If it is legit for me, the caller can and should leave a voicemail. No voicemail = blocked number. If spam/scam voicemail, block. When I had a Samsung device, I was limited to 100 numbers I could block and it maxed out. So, I had to remove the oldest blocked numbers to make room for new numbers to block. With Apple, thankfully it’s unlimited. I, too, have gotten many so-called neighbor spoofed numbers and once even from my own number. Geez! I especially like (not!) the bogus IRS collection threat or go to jail calls. Those will leave voicemails that the local police will come arrest me. Ok, bring it. I work there. Let’s see who ends up in handcuffs!
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #54
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow1960 View Post
I love the "This is "Lenney" anti-scam recordings on you tube. I don't know that this is commercially available but it's funny as heck.

As for Becky, she probaly has to answer all call, might be a customer.

LOL...Phunnay as hell.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote