Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #85
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
Like playing the lotto, out here in south Florida .
And they wonder why it doesn't sell well. The dealers are a part of the problem. Or maybe they sell too well and GM needs to dampen the sales
They need to come down on dealers. Answer excuse aside that's why they are suffering dealerships are rude as F$^& to people. There are exceptions of course but as a whole they've been given way to much freedom.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #86
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #87
MJinNC

Drives: 2017 Camaro LT Coupe
So I have done the flush at 4k miles, had the TC replaced soon after that, and today I am bringing it back to the dealer with the shudder again. Whats the next fix? TC replaced every 6mo?
MJinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #88
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinNC View Post
So I have done the flush at 4k miles, had the TC replaced soon after that, and today I am bringing it back to the dealer with the shudder again. Whats the next fix? TC replaced every 6mo?
Maybe asking if they can TCM Flash slip% tables out?

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 05-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #89
bhillakaiceberg

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 2017 1SS
Its a factory trans tune issue......

Y'all can believe what y'all want tho.

2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Auto
9.29 @144.57mph ALL MOTOR SBE

#TEAMGPI Gwatney Performance Innovation

bhillakaiceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #90
MJinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Maybe asking if they can TCM Flash slip% tables out?
what would this do? within/void warranty?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #91
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Quote:
what would this do? within/void warranty?
It will void the warranty. Else I would look into a tune. I'm going drive the snot out of my car until 5 yrs and 60,000 miles. Will deal with the stealers or hopefully find a decent one, even if they are 500 miles away. Will consider tune towards the end of the 5 years.

I know a couple of SS owners who are considering suits if they don't find dealers who will perform the proper procedure as per Al O.
indyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #92
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
It will void the warranty. Else I would look into a tune. I'm going drive the snot out of my car until 5 yrs and 60,000 miles. Will deal with the stealers or hopefully find a decent one, even if they are 500 miles away. Will consider tune towards the end of the 5 years.

I know a couple of SS owners who are considering suits if they don't find dealers who will perform the proper procedure as per Al O.
No what i meant was find a dealership and see if they can do that update and zero out slip%'s i highly doubt GM would let them but that's the only true 100% fix atm.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #93
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
No what i meant was find a dealership and see if they can do that update and zero out slip%'s i highly doubt GM would let them but that's the only true 100% fix atm.
Yeah I wish they would do that. A lot of dealers here are not even willing to do the triple flush and TC replacement, so I cannot see them going to bat for us. GM must initiate this. If wishes were horses.... apologies for sounding jaded. I've been a GM customer too long.
indyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #94
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhillakaiceberg View Post
Its a factory trans tune issue......

Y'all can believe what y'all want tho.
^ This !!

I said I wouldn't post in this thread again, but after reading ALL of the guys still having issues, and not enjoying the car the way they "could" be, I just couldn't leave it alone.
You guys still having issues after fluid flushes, and torque converter replacements, more fluid flushes, cars built after the "cut-off", 2018 cars...ect ect.. You are NOT crazy. I urge you guys to have a close look at the first few posts I made in this thread, it may provide some insight..

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #95
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
From what I heard from my Chevy dealers shop foreman. Who is an EFILive tuner. He says that GM has had the slip percentages in the auto transmissions for sometime before the A8 trans came out. There was no issue with those. So the trans slip percentages to soften up the response can work properly long term without issue. The mechanical issues with this transmission/TC seem to happen with the slip percentages in them. The friction modifiers are supposed to help with the shudder issue, but evidently there are some mechanical differences with SOME of the TC in the A8 transmissions. They tried to change fluids based on findings of failures. The TC can be damaged if it goes long enough with shudder.

So my guess is they tightened up on the tolerances on the TC manufacturing, and changed the fluid as a double fix going forward in 2018. I dont think they changed any slip percentages in the TC tuning. After all, going from past years, the slip percentages have never been a problem, so it is possible to have a shudder free transmission long term with TC slip programmed in.

My guess is the TSB was meant to cover all years up to an including MY18. Just in case there happen to be some leftover issues, that they did not expect. Its an all encompassing TSB for the A8 trans.

FYI, my 2016 A8 had the shudder begin at 8k miles. I took it into the dealer. They did the triple flush properly, and put new fluid in, and it ran better than ever until the day i traded it. It appears that 80 to 90% of the time, if caught early enough, the triple flush and new fluid fix the problem. The other 10% could be actually TC damage, wrong fluid, or technicians not following the procedure precisely. From an Engineers perspective, the answer AL gives seems straight forward, and honest enough with what they actually know. Believe it or not anomalies do happen from time to time, that logic and engineering troubleshooting cant explain. My $.02

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #96
MJinNC

ok, so what is my dealer going to tell me today or what do I need to be telling them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
From what I heard from my Chevy dealers shop foreman. Who is an EFILive tuner. He says that GM has had the slip percentages in the auto transmissions for sometime before the A8 trans came out. There was no issue with those. So the trans slip percentages to soften up the response can work properly long term without issue. The mechanical issues with this transmission/TC seem to happen with the slip percentages in them. The friction modifiers are supposed to help with the shudder issue, but evidently there are some mechanical differences with SOME of the TC in the A8 transmissions. There tried to change fluids based on findings of failures. The TC can be damaged if it goes long enough with shudder.

So my guess is they tightened up on the tolerances on the TC manufacturing, and changed the fluid as a double fix going forward in 2018. I dont think they changed any slip percentages in the TC tuning. After all, going from past years, the slip percentages have never been a problem, so it is possible to have a shudder free transmission long term with TC slip programmed in.

My guess is the TSB was meant to cover all years up to an including MY18. Just in case there happen to be some leftover issues, that they did not expect. Its an all encompassing TSB for the A8 trans.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #97
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Quote:
ok, so what is my dealer going to tell me today or what do I need to be telling them?
Being that you've had your TC replaced already, and fluid changed. I would suggest trying a different dealer.

From Al's (GM's response) it appears that yours should be fixed. I would be concerned that the wrong fluid was used when your TC was changed. So if its not been shuddering long this time, I would have them flush the fluid again per the TSB, using the correct fluid. If its done properly and still does not fix it, then the TSB would suggest replacing the TC again.

Or you can void your warranty and have the slip percentages taken out, and that will fix it too. Its still got the same flaw, but its programmed to not get into the situation for you to feel it.

Tim@EfiTuning can fix you right up.

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #98
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT & Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
That’s up to you, I know I wouldn’t. Draining and filling (myself) the differential because of the groan is my limit with this car.

A second opinion at another dealer would be on my list, if you’re truly experiencing the shudder.

As far as A techs go, I chuckle at the reference. So what’s that mean, everyone else sucks more than him? He has spider senses and can feel vibration more than you?

Recently, an “A” tech was asked to install a single piece aluminum drive shaft in my stang. 2 hours later I’m being asked where I bought the driveshaft (ford racing) I’m then told they can’t install all of the bolts, so if I want it done, they’ll install just 2 bolts of 4 necessary bolts and I can sign off on it (said by service manager) The problem, which I showed the “A” ford tech (mind you, I’m not a mechanic) He tried to start 2 of the bolts through the u joint while the joint was parallel with the differential. Jesus, we’re not talking about a rubics cube here, 2 minutes for me to figure out.

With that said, get second opinion, why pay someone for something that your warranty should cover? You’ve already paid..
Thank you Chutzpah! It's just an inconvenience dealing with these dealerships. I know my personal mechanic would solve this in a minute. But yea, I'm not sure about these 'A' techs either...they're supposedly the ones that only work on Camaro and corvettes.
1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 1282010 Camaro 2 SS/RS - BLACKOUT & 2017 Camaro 2 SS - 50th Anniversary #894 WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote