Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Camaro10ss1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Will this setup make my car loud????

I currently have a secondary cat delete and was thinking about deleting the npp mufflers for a straight pipe setup.
From what I keep reading most of the sound suppression comes from the factory cats. I'm not quite ready to void my warranty installing long tube headers,but was wondering if this setup would make my car not sound like a prius lol
Camaro10ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Peelam

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, Jet Black, M6
I can tell you from what mine does. It sounds OK but not really good, raspy and very loud(wake the neighbors loud, drone at hwy speed, 80 MPH is annoying). Bought my 16 1SS used and the previous owner had the secondary cats and mufflers removed and had pipe welded in. I'm going to change it to the AWE Touring Cat-Back in a couple months. It's Standard Exhaust not NPP but you get the idea.

Not so good video of the sound.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GH...YEk7jBvq2dA06I
Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #3
Camaro10ss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelam View Post
I can tell you from what mine does. It sounds OK but not really good, raspy and very loud(wake the neighbors loud, drone at hwy speed, 80 MPH is annoying). Bought my 16 1SS used and the previous owner had the secondary cats and mufflers removed and had pipe welded in. I'm going to change it to the AWE Touring Cat-Back in a couple months. It's Standard Exhaust not NPP but you get the idea.

Call me crazy but that sounds good to me lol. I bet it pops alot under deceleration?
Old 10-20-2018, 06:00 AM   #4
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
The NPP muffler practically IS a straight pipe when the valves are open. So there shouldn't be a dramatic difference in sound level.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:04 AM   #5
Peelam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro10ss1 View Post
Call me crazy but that sounds good to me lol. I bet it pops alot under deceleration?
Yes it does crackle and pop a lot, which is OK. I just want to tone it down a bit since its my DD and I drive it on the freeway a lot.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Camaro10ss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
The NPP muffler practically IS a straight pipe when the valves are open. So there shouldn't be a dramatic difference in sound level.
I've heard that as well. I haven't had the chance to hear one with the npp and one without.

Quote:
Yes it does crackle and pop a lot, which is OK. I just want to tone it down a bit since its my DD and I drive it on the freeway a lot.
If it crackles and pops alot that must mean there is alot of restriction in the factory muffler. I totally understand it being your daily not want it being too loud. I use to have a 5th gen that had long tube headers no cats and straight pipe all the way back Lol. It was raspy and very loud.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:

Is that your Dad starting the car in his Birkenstocks?
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
Peelam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
Is that your Dad starting the car in his Birkenstocks?
LOL no that's me, had just detailed it before I shot that video.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
LOL no that's me, had just detailed it before I shot that video.
Glad you have a sense of humor. My wife would never recover if I wore those.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro10ss1 View Post
I currently have a secondary cat delete and was thinking about deleting the npp mufflers for a straight pipe setup.
From what I keep reading most of the sound suppression comes from the factory cats. I'm not quite ready to void my warranty installing long tube headers,but was wondering if this setup would make my car not sound like a prius lol

It would make a slight different. I think the real kicker is it's more louder through-out the rev range from 500RPM onwards vs NPP where it's only loud when you step on it. I asked my fiance after I straight piped my NPP (Retained valves) and she said she can hear the difference from the outside.

I would suggest pulling the fuse first and see if that makes any difference. It may achieve the extra oomph desired. Otherwise if you're set on a higher volume I would recommend MBRP which is a 3 In. droneless straight pipe setup. Since it's 2.75 -> 3 In diameter you'll hear the difference. The helmholtz resonator eliminates the drone and it's fairly inexpensive versus other exhaust options.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #11
Camaro10ss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
It would make a slight different. I think the real kicker is it's more louder through-out the rev range from 500RPM onwards vs NPP where it's only loud when you step on it. I asked my fiance after I straight piped my NPP (Retained valves) and she said she can hear the difference from the outside.

I would suggest pulling the fuse first and see if that makes any difference. It may achieve the extra oomph desired. Otherwise if you're set on a higher volume I would recommend MBRP which is a 3 In. droneless straight pipe setup. Since it's 2.75 -> 3 In diameter you'll hear the difference. The helmholtz resonator eliminates the drone and it's fairly inexpensive versus other exhaust options.

Its funny you mentioned that. I actually pulled the fuse and its still really quiet to me. Do you think its a big difference in sound between a mbrp setup vs a straight piped setup minus drone?

It really seems like long tube headers are my only option if I want really loud lol
Old 10-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #12
AdmAnt13

Drives: '16 Red Hot 2SS M6 NPP
I just did Borla’s 60606 secondary cat delete and the Atak axle back. If you want loud with no drone, and retain stealth mode (to a certain extent) I’d try this setup. It’s LOUD.

A little pricey (I had a hookup) but well worth it.

'16 2SS, M6, Borla Atak
AdmAnt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #13
Camaro10ss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmAnt13 View Post
I just did Borla’s 60606 secondary cat delete and the Atak axle back. If you want loud with no drone, and retain stealth mode (to a certain extent) I’d try this setup. It’s LOUD.

A little pricey (I had a hookup) but well worth it.

Not having stealth mode is totally fine with me. Its a weekend car for me. I always wanted borla atak even when I had my 5th gen. I just felt like a muffler delete would definitely be louder