Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #15
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Name:  8758D57A-2118-4FBE-911C-CC69456BBC3B.jpeg
Views: 586
Size:  24.1 KB

Why blur? Because the world is full of lunatics who are very clever at getting information surreptitiously. I know someone who received a death threat from a person in another state who didn’t like a humorous letter published in a national magazine.

I’ve also been contacted by someone who found me through my license plate, because a helpful county worker gave him my address. Legal or not, some people who are charged with protecting your information give it away just to be “helpful.”
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #16
lawguy85

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
I’ve also been contacted by someone who found me through my license plate, because a helpful county worker gave him my address. Legal or not, some people who are charged with protecting your information give it away just to be “helpful.”
Not calling you a liar, it's certainly possible this tale happened, but highly unlikely. But systems like that are audited and have triggers, and the penalty for improper access is termination at best, jail time more likely. You've gotta be a uber dick online for someone to risk freedom and livelihood simply to "contact" you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
Because fear + ignorance = blurred plates.
/endthread. I don't bother blurring my plates, obscuring my decals, hiding my face etc. when posting online because I don't type things I wouldn't say IRL. Novel, ain't it? Nor am I afraid of anyone finding me. Mostly because of how next to impossible it would be, but also because that would be a bad day for them, not me.
lawguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
RobC2

Drives: 2023 Tesla Model 3P
What about VIN numbers? I was looking at a Corvette once and was pretty serious. After asking all my questions and looking at the pictures, I was reasonably satisfied and wanted to see the car in person. Before I did though, I wanted to run a Carfax since it was a bit of a drive. The guy was adamant that he would not give out the VIN under any circumstances and even got pretty mad at the suggestion. I told him that he is driving the car around and parking it and anyone walking by can see the VIN through the windshield. Needless to say, I didn't make the trip.
RobC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #18
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy85 View Post
Not calling you a liar, it's certainly possible this tale happened, but highly unlikely. But systems like that are audited and have triggers, and the penalty for improper access is termination at best, jail time more likely. You've gotta be a uber dick online for someone to risk freedom and livelihood simply to "contact" you.
Good thing you didn’t call me a liar, because both things are absolutely true. You’re never as secure as you think you are, and it’s getting worse every day.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #19
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
Because fear + ignorance = blurred plates.
This.

Anyone can find anyones home in a matter of minutes without a plate.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #20
Silverwing

Drives: Yellow 2018 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
This.

Anyone can find anyones home in a matter of minutes without a plate.
QTF.

If someone wants to find you, they will find you. You don't need a plate number to do that.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #21
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
It always boggles my mind when people do this.

That fact of the matter is this.

If you post a picture of your car online(or anything for that matter online), in a half an hour, (if i had an interest in doing so, which i do not.) I would be able to find out where you live, what your wifes name is, and what you ate yesterday.

In half that time a 15 year old junior hacker will be able to tell you where you live, your kids names, your mistresses name, when you sleep at night, and what you're going to eat tomorrow... License plate isn't even needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Attachment 961275

Was this 30 years ago? Or recently?
Old 10-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #22
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
I don't hide my plate because I know privacy does not exist in this day and age.

If you post a picture online that was taken with a smartphone or digital camera, blurred plate or no, I can get your latitude/longitude using a third party data extraction software in minutes lol. Plug the coordinates into google, and i can get a street view of your house.

If you are paranoid or have something to hide, don't post online.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #23
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
I don't hide my plate because I know privacy does not exist in this day and age.

If you post a picture online that was taken with a smartphone or digital camera, blurred plate or no, I can get your latitude/longitude using a third party data extraction software in minutes lol. Plug the coordinates into google, and i can get a street view of your house.

This
Old 10-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #24
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:

Even without geo location data attached to the pic? Turning off location tagging does not write any of this data to the pic as far I know. And digital editing software like Photoshop lets the user remove this data.

If you can still do this without that info, I'll post a pic for you to test. I'm not calling you a liar, just don't believe it's possible without the location data included.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #25
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
I think in all things, if you try to think it through, you can find answers.
While I do believe that a “helpful government worker” traced a plate to find someone, I am laughing because I think it is illegal for one, and how often do you find a helpful government employee.
I speculate that people started seeing blurred plates in pics and then the habit spread because people think bad things will happen. I think specific things or people that are made public, require permission from the person, and/or the owner of the thing. I suppose the privacy rights don’t include real estate, or google street view would blur your home?....
My guess is that google blurs plates so that you can’t prove that is your wife’s car at your best friends house....
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #26
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:

I think a bold statement like that calls for a demonstration. Don't you think?

Tell me the location of this pic. Anybody. Taken with a Samsung phone. I deliberately left some exif data in there:

torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #27
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Not a clue, looks like damn good fishing water to me.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #28
Amiaji

Drives: 2018 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
My guess is that google blurs plates so that you can’t prove that is your wife’s car at your best friends house....
I think there is a whole of truth in that statement right there. Oh at the trouble they could cause.

I had an Apple Maps van ride by the house yesterday. I was standing right next to the road when it came by. I guess I may be internet famous one day soon.
Amiaji is offline   Reply With Quote