#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-06-2024, 01:39 PM   #1
HankVA

Drives: 2024 Camaro 2SS
2024 SS Track Prep - J6H/BCD Brake Option

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out what, if anything, I need to do to prepare the brakes for a track weekend at VIR. Do I need to pull the wheels and install the lower control arm and disc splash shields?

The manual states related to track use: "Front Tire Deflectors, Lower Control Arm Deflectors, and Disc Splash Shields (SS
except 1LE Only)
" It doesn't read like it applies to my car, to me anyway.

The dealer doesn't think I need to do it, but wanted to ask for advice from anyone who's also tracking their SS with the J6H/BCD combo, or ZL1.

-------------

I'd also like to know what I should be doing for brake fluid. In my previous car I ran Motul RBF 600 and changed it once a year, but I've seen others say that isn't the best choice for these cars.

-------------

Last thing ... can the factory copper free pads really handle the heat? I read that they're on the CT5-V and are pretty robust.

Thanks & PFA
Attached Images

HankVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:07 PM   #2
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Buy the CT5 V blackwing track air deflectors. They are the best oem brake duct for the 6th Gen. While you would probably be fine without them I strongly suggest you get them.

Your brakes are very robust and are more than adequate for track use.

I used motul (I think rbf 660) on track in my 16 SS and was fine.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:05 PM   #3
HankVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Buy the CT5 V blackwing track air deflectors. They are the best oem brake duct for the 6th Gen. While you would probably be fine without them I strongly suggest you get them.

Your brakes are very robust and are more than adequate for track use.

I used motul (I think rbf 660) on track in my 16 SS and was fine.
Thanks, do you leave the blackwing deflectors on all year round?
Old 03-06-2024, 04:05 PM   #4
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankVA View Post
Hi All,

I am trying to figure out what, if anything, I need to do to prepare the brakes for a track weekend at VIR. Do I need to pull the wheels and install the lower control arm and disc splash shields? YES!

The manual states related to track use: "Front Tire Deflectors, Lower Control Arm Deflectors, and Disc Splash Shields (SS
except 1LE Only)
" It doesn't read like it applies to my car, to me anyway. YES! THIS APPLIES TO NON-1LE SS's. THE 1LE ALREADY HAS THE DEFLECTORS INSTALLED.

The dealer doesn't think I need to do it, but wanted to ask for advice from anyone who's also tracking their SS with the J6H/BCD combo, or ZL1. WRONG! THE DEALER IS OFFERING DANGEROUS INFO HERE. TRACK DAYS = HIGH HEAT. COOLING IS PARAMOUNT!

-------------

I'd also like to know what I should be doing for brake fluid. In my previous car I ran Motul RBF 600 and changed it once a year, but I've seen others say that isn't the best choice for these cars. SEE BELOW.

-------------

Last thing ... can the factory copper free pads really handle the heat? I read that they're on the CT5-V and are pretty robust. SEE BELOW.

Thanks & PFA
Answers above in RED

Do not trust the dealer. If they have no experience with these cars as far as track days, they are not going to know the fine details. Track days will stress the car more than anything you could do to it. GM engineered them to handle it, but you as the owner/driver must still do your due diligence.

Sure, it's just as easy to dismiss us guys here on the forums too, but, FWIW, I have 10+ years tracking three different generations of Camaros and I love brakes. Its' best err on the side of safety when it comes to this. So........

Read you manual. You may not have received the performance supplement that also comes with the SS 1LE/ZL1/ZLE. If not, there are copies of it on the interwebs, they are also available on your chevy.com account.

Your car is an SS without the 1LE option. In the past, the non-1LE SS variant came with a set of large flat brake deflectors in the trunk. If yours came with that you should use them. Yes, the BlackWing deflectors are more efficient and do not hang down as low. Buy them if you can get them, sometimes they are hard to get. If you can't get them in time for your track day, you must use brake deflectors. Do not track without any. They divert air to the center of your rotor for cooling. Cooling is a top priority. As is high quality fresh DOT 4 fluid. Castrol SRF, Brembo HTC64T, or Endless 650 are the highest quality fluids. A bit more expensive than others but their specs beat all others. Fresh high quality fluid is the cheapest track day insurance you will ever buy. People will use brakes differently, some harder than others, and some tracks will be harder on brakes, YMMV. You cannot go wrong with too much fluid quality.

Since you have the newer BCD/J6H copper free package, there might be a set of deflectors already installed. They might look like the ones in the very first picture in this thread:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605353

The second pic are the ones that usually come in the trunk of the non 1LE SS's. They work great but will hang down. Known as the "fang" deflectors, they were the hot ticket until the BlackWings came out. Yes, you can run any of the deflectors year round. I run the BlackWings year round. There is one negative to running them year round, especially with the big BCD package, they could keep the brakes too cool on the street.

Subsequent pictures in that thread show the BlackWings.

I have the BCD/J6H package on my '22 SS 1LE. Your brake package is exactly the same as mine except for caliper color. I track at Pitt Race and I used the OE pads for this car's first track day. I had zero problems with heat or brake performance. Use the right fluid, install the appropriate cooling and perform the brake bed in/burnish prior to your track day and they will work great. GM engineered them to work great on the track. On my car, with my technique at Pitt Race, the BCD package is thermal overkill! The copper free pad material does not handle the heat as much as the "typical" HP1000 material used by all other Gen6 performance variants. So to improve the heat capacity with the copper free material, GM went bigger.....more mass is good for heat capacity. Yep, they are robust!

While I felt the "feel" of the copper free pads was lacking compared to my previous Gen5/6 brake experiences, they were very capable in 20 minute sessions. Their friction curve drops off slightly with more heat. Most street oriented pads will offer similar traits. This is not bad as long as the friction does not drop off a cliff, this would indicate pad fade. Note that novice drivers can be harder on brakes than an advanced driver. Again, YMMV. If something doesn't feel right, back off immediately and head to the pits. Look at your brakes after every session. They will give you signs of their health.

Many of us with the copper frees that track have already changed to different pads. I have run the "typical" non BCD ZL1 HP1000 Ferodo pad, the Ferodo DS2500 and DS1.11 pads. Pedal feel and response have improved much to my satisfaction. Combined with a set of Speigler brake lines and Endless 650, the brakes feel amazing.

There are a few threads here on the new BCD/J6H package. Since the search button here on the site is wonky sometimes, just go to google and type "copper free brake pads camaro6.com". You will find most if not all the BCD threads.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:11 PM   #5
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Dont overthink it. All you need is Castrol SRF along with filling oil to top of dip stick, and that's it.

If you want to go above and beyond get Brake pads, Castrol SRF, and a track alignment.

There is plenty of cooling on the SS1LE if you're running street tires in HPDE. I highly recommend against Motul, I've seen it boil multiple times on track, especially on heavier cars (even with extra cooling).

Are you going to NASA weekend? I'll be there.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:32 PM   #6
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
It's not an SS 1LE
Old 03-06-2024, 08:42 PM   #7
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
It's not an SS 1LE

Ooops, I should have looked at the picture.

Still should be good though, send it.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:51 AM   #8
HankVA

Thanks everyone for the info. I do have the 1LE suspension upgrade and magnetic susp, but I don't think that changes anything. Good stuff, I appreciate it
Old 03-23-2024, 08:05 PM   #9
nikerret

Drives: 2014 Ford F-350
Mine is a 1LE, but all I did for my first trip to Hallett was:

Rear diff fluid
Track alignment
Castrol SRF

I brought a torque wrench to verify lug nuts were at spec and brought fluids in case I needed to top off. Nothing was needed, though I check everything after each session.
Attached Images

1995 Buick Roadmaster Estate
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 08:09 PM   #10
nikerret

Drives: 2014 Ford F-350
I forgot to comment on the brakes. Air temps were cool, started first session each day in the mid-30’s. Warmest it got in the afternoons was low-60’s. I drove most of it with all the TC/ESC as off as I could get it. As such, there was no brake fade to mention.
1995 Buick Roadmaster Estate
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote