Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #71
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
As usual, it IS a requirement, but enforcement is vague. I'm guessing if your 2WD Yukon plows into somebody in a storm, you are getting a citation. Here's an explanation:

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...d-03cad1473c9b
I see now..

Yeah, laws like that aren't really effective deterrents, because they cannot practically be enforced. They will be enforced during the result of an accident when assigning blame, that's kind of where those kind of laws come in, they can show the person was careless by not having the proper equipment that is required by law, etc. It's well intentioned, to reduce the accidents and injuries/fatalities, but any law like that needs actual enforcement where there's little chance of "getting away with" not complying. Otherwise, it's just a waste of paper.

In practice, these laws are usually used as legal weapons after something happens...not to prevent them from happening.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:00 PM   #72
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
For what it’s worth I traversed a mountain pass for about four years in a fox body 5.0. It was brutal but I never once went off the road. In my humble opinion a front wheel drive with good winter tires should suffice.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #73
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have lived in New England for ever. That's over 50 years of driving.

No matter what tires you put on them, rear wheel drive cars are not dependably safe on ice and snow. Except for air cooled VWs, with the engine in back of the rear axle. These work great, and so do front wheel drive cars.

However, nothing beats a 4 wheel drive when you have to get up early in the morning and drive to work before the roads are plowed and treated. I wouldn't be without one.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #74
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I have lived in New England for ever. That's over 50 years of driving.

No matter what tires you put on them, rear wheel drive cars are not dependably safe on ice and snow. Except for air cooled VWs, with the engine in back of the rear axle. These work great, and so do front wheel drive cars.

However, nothing beats a 4 wheel drive when you have to get up early in the morning and drive to work before the roads are plowed and treated. I wouldn't be without one.
I'm with you on that thought.
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #75
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I’ve driven rwd, V8 muscle in Wisconsin winters since 1982.

Got the tools. Got the talent.

Name:  408D8732-7CF2-433C-B5B5-8AB091B01D1C.jpeg
Views: 234
Size:  396.4 KB
Name:  51D4D329-C970-4084-9677-4E9E2274938B.jpeg
Views: 222
Size:  497.7 KB

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #76
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
ROFL never thought to put winters on my stock wheels. 245s Blizzaks on 18” stock wheels do me just fine.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:49 PM   #77
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post
ROFL never thought to put winters on my stock wheels. 245s Blizzaks on 18” stock wheels do me just fine.
I like my Camaro’s to always look the same so I bought a set of MRR reproductions and got OE size Sottozeros

I’ve been doing this since the gen4 (1996) …because I can.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 10-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #78
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i bought a winter setup with snow tires for the car. i don't drive the car over winter but i didnt want it sitting on the goodyears or mickey thompsons. not to mention, in the event my 25 year old, 300k mile dd fails to operate, i can drive the camaro as an absolute last resort. my dining room looks like tire rack. once these gold wheels get here i will have 3 full sets of wheels/tires stacked up in there. plus 2 random front drag wheels and a pair of 20" burnout tires.

priorities.

after experiencing snow tires on a rwd preference car, i would not hesitate to dd a camaro on them.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #79
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Hotlap, off subject….are the MRR’s an exact match in design to the OEM? I read and saw pictures somewhere that they have some softer curves side by side. I don’t see that now… so I’m wondering if MRR changed their mold, or it’s just my eyes aren’t picking up on it. Trying to decide on aftermarket for next car (a non tracker).
I put the MRRs on today and had a good chance to compare them to the OEM 1LE rims. They are good for a driver and the finish is acceptable for what I’m using them for (winter). Observations are.
  1. The mating surface area is different and appears to have less contact area. Seen in picture
  2. When I torqued down the Gorilla lugs, I bought from MRR with the rims, under full torque the lug key socket (tool) binds against the side slightly on some. They start out turning freely so I assume the lug is cocking slightly on some. I tightened and seated them, with the weight off, in a crossing pattern.
  3. The finish is nice, but not as nice as the OEM rims. There are light spots in shadow areas that are better covered on the OEM. One has a spec of dirt and the edges are sharper. The finish is rougher too.
  4. The lug bores are chamfered on the inside (mating surface) of the OEM rims. The MRRs are not.
I wouldn’t use these for anything hard, performance oriented. Nice enough to get the look at a budget price.

The Sottozeros ride like butter. As always.

Here you can see the OEM rim pattern on the rotor compared to where the MRR sits.
Name:  3799005A-A73C-46CF-868D-186116BE4051.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  121.4 KB

Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 11-13-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:30 PM   #80
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I put the MRRs on today and had a good chance to compare them to the OEM 1LE rims. They are good for a driver and the finish is acceptable for what I’m using them for (winter). Observations are.
  1. The mating surface area is different and appears to have less contact area. Seen in picture
  2. When I torqued down the Gorilla lugs, I bought from MRR with the rims, under full torque the lug key socket (tool) binds against the side slightly on some. They start out turning freely so I assume the lug is cocking slightly on some. I tightened and seated them, with the weight off, in a crossing pattern.
  3. The finish is nice, but not as nice as the OEM rims. There are light spots in shadow areas that are better covered on the OEM. One has a spec of dirt and the edges are sharper. The finish is rougher too.
  4. The lug bores are chamfered on the inside (mating surface) of the OEM rims. The MRRs are not.
I wouldn’t use these for anything hard, performance oriented. Nice enough to get the look at a budget price.

The Sottozeros ride like butter. As always.

Here you can see the OEM rim pattern on the rotor compared to where the MRR sits.
Attachment 1084542
Thanks for the detailed follow up!
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote