Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
sway bar upgrade for 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS

Hi guise,

I have a stock 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS with the 20" staggered wheel setup and I'm looking to upgrade the sway bars in order to take turns and corner flatter. I've read a few posts in the forum about simply upgrading the front sway to a ZL1 sway bar and it would be set. However, I'm concerned about fitment. Would it be a bolt on deal, or is there something else I have to replace in order to make the sway bar fit? Will a 2013-2015 ZL1 front sway bar be a direct fit to my existing 2012 2LT/RS suspension?

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Your best bet is a SS front bar and a 1LE rear bar, it will make the car more connected. JPSS Sells a 32mm rear bar and coupled with a 1LE bar is basically the same setup a 5mm difference between the two. The only issue you might have is the endlinks studs at the strut. The ZL1 use a bigger stud vs the SS. Look at DSE for multi fit links. If you want a better rear bar you'll need the updated rear LCAs if the V6 didn't get them. You can get them for about 100 bucks used here on the forum get a set of ZL1/1LE toe rods and trailing arms just be patient. An when funds allow go to a square setup with stock 20x9 all with 275's to start out with. An then work your way to solid rear cradle bushings and Z28 Rear UCA bushings. Shocks will be a big step either 1LE or the Bilstien B6s (my next set of shocks).

Check out this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487443
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
The 2012+ V6 comes with the updated rear lower control arms. Not sure if the factory 2012+ ZL1/1LE rear bars fit without interference with the V6 brake calipers, but even if not and you can spend a few more bucks I suggest going with the JPSS 32mm rear bar as mentioned (the factory drop links/end links required can also be bought from JPSS). Up front, JPSS sells a 27mm bar, or you can purchase a factory 1LE front bar which is also 27mm, and you can keep the factory links. If you decide to buy from JPSS, also consider the front radius rod inserts - better steering response/feedback when turning the wheel
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
A Killboy elluded to, you need to find out what version of the rear sway bar you have. Are the endlinks inboard or outboard of the lower shock mount. Early 2012's they were inboard and then moved outboard after a certain date. My 2012 was born on 11/10/11 and has the inboard. So, I went with the Hotchkis Adjustable Competition Sway Bar Set #22110 after some lengthy research. I'm not saying that that other bars are not as good or better, this was just my decision. I have before and after experiences running at Sebring International that has not made me regret my decision to upgrade. Even my instructor who ran with me both times was impressed.

And if Pete chimes in, definitely pay attention! He knows his stuff.
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #5
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Hi, I haven't checked but my Camaro was born in August 2011, even earlier than yours. So im pretty sure it's inboard like you said. Actually I've read that all we really need for better handling is just to upgrade the front sway bar. I would prefer to do just that for now.

Thanks a bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
A Killboy elluded to, you need to find out what version of the rear sway bar you have. Are the endlinks inboard or outboard of the lower shock mount. Early 2012's they were inboard and then moved outboard after a certain date. My 2012 was born on 11/10/11 and has the inboard. So, I went with the Hotchkis Adjustable Competition Sway Bar Set #22110 after some lengthy research. I'm not saying that that other bars are not as good or better, this was just my decision. I have before and after experiences running at Sebring International that has not made me regret my decision to upgrade. Even my instructor who ran with me both times was impressed.

And if Pete chimes in, definitely pay attention! He knows his stuff.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
ryan's camaro
Taeng

So my question is, say if I purchased a 13-15 1LE front sway bar, would that be a straight bolt-on deal, or do I have to buy or modify anything else on the car? Would the end links be the same as what I already have on my V6?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
The 2012+ V6 comes with the updated rear lower control arms. Not sure if the factory 2012+ ZL1/1LE rear bars fit without interference with the V6 brake calipers, but even if not and you can spend a few more bucks I suggest going with the JPSS 32mm rear bar as mentioned (the factory drop links/end links required can also be bought from JPSS). Up front, JPSS sells a 27mm bar, or you can purchase a factory 1LE front bar which is also 27mm, and you can keep the factory links. If you decide to buy from JPSS, also consider the front radius rod inserts - better steering response/feedback when turning the wheel
Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Yes Ryan, as Silent and Killboy said it's all about the rear sway bar for the V6. If your car does have the inboard mounts and you're on a budget, get a good FE3 set from BMR and you'll see a serious improvement and it's a piece of cake to install both front and back bars. BMR has great installation instructions.

If you've got a bit more $ and the car has inboard mounts but holes drilled in the lower control arms for out-board installations, go with a longer JPSS bar as seen here- http://www.jpssonline.com/shop/jpss-...-gen-sway-bars. Or they'll be happy to set you up with updated LCA's but then you'll need an alignment and a bit more labor.

Either one will amaze you with their improvement in flat cornering.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote