Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
SS or V6 + twin turbo?

Aside from the warranty impact, which route is better for modest performance (not tracking).
Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I'd stick to the v8 and mod that.. You'll always be able to get more out of it.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
SS would stay stock (maybe CAI etc), but $ for $ since I would have money left over with a V6, you think the SS would be a better choice than to take the savings and mod a V6?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Thats a pretty great V6. There's lots left in it. You can mod it past the stock V8 performance. But at that point you're probably spending the same as just buying the V8 and sacrificing durability.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
With a V8, you have instant torque and power in all gears. TTV6 isn't going to have such an instant throw your butt into the seat feel.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Yeah stick with the V8. You will end up spending more money in the long run to make the V6 more powerful. Also the rear end and tranny of the V6 isn't as strong as the V8 so you will probably have to upgrade that too.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Millertime555

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
I agree with going V8. The longevity and reliability of a modded V6 won't compare to the V8, not to mention the different power bands and torque.
Millertime555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
I've read some pretty bad ass V6 builds over on camaro 5.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #9
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
With a V8, you have instant torque and power in all gears. TTV6 isn't going to have such an instant throw your butt into the seat feel.
Why not? The LF3 makes about the same torque at 2000 RPM as the LT1 in the C7 Z51, so I would think you could do the same with a custom turbo setup on the LGX.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I have to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Why not? The LF3 makes about the same torque at 2000 RPM as the LT1 in the C7 Z51, so I would think you could do the same with a custom turbo setup on the LGX.
Exactly. With the right turbo setup, you can have huge low and midrange torque. Larger turbos would likely meant more lag and more top end power but all depends on your setup and balancing that act.

But I'm not saying a custom TT V6 is the way to go either. Just making a point.

This is a super tough question, b/c there are too many variables. What's your power goals? What's your budget and what money would you expect to spend on a v6 Camaro versus a V8 Camaro? Do you care about a warranty? What about reliability? In the 5th gen, we've seen that the V6 is relatively reliable when tuned to the power of around 450 - 550 hp. But hard to compare reliability of a boosted/tuned V6 to a stock V8. Do you want to be unique and pave your own road, or go the easier route?

I can't vote for one way or the other, although I have a soft spot for the V6, even if I don't end up in one this time around.

Make no mistake, even in n/a form, the V6 this time around is going to be pretty quick! Guarantee we are going to see SS beating V6s and even turbo 4s coming eventually.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I have to disagree.

Exactly. With the right turbo setup, you can have huge low and midrange torque. Larger turbos would likely meant more lag and more top end power but all depends on your setup and balancing that act.

But I'm not saying a custom TT V6 is the way to go either. Just making a point.

This is a super tough question, b/c there are too many variables. What's your power goals? What's your budget and what money would you expect to spend on a v6 Camaro versus a V8 Camaro? Do you care about a warranty? What about reliability? In the 5th gen, we've seen that the V6 is relatively reliable when tuned to the power of around 450 - 550 hp. But hard to compare reliability of a boosted/tuned V6 to a stock V8. Do you want to be unique and pave your own road, or go the easier route?

I can't vote for one way or the other, although I have a soft spot for the V6, even if I don't end up in one this time around.

Make no mistake, even in n/a form, the V6 this time around is going to be pretty quick! Guarantee we are going to see SS beating V6s and even turbo 4s coming eventually.
Great stuff here, and I'd emphasize reliability concerns. Until someone mods one to the point of destruction, you don't know how close they are run to the edge so pushing that engine and internals will absolutely shorten it's life. How short.. that's the roll of the dice.

This was an issue early on with the 2011 5.0 when tuners came out with tunes for them after release. They were running hot and tuners leaned them out for more power, but they ran hotter and those who bypassed some safety features bit their customers in the ass, hard. (Popped pistons, usually #8 but there were others).

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #12
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Great stuff here, and I'd emphasize reliability concerns. Until someone mods one to the point of destruction, you don't know how close they are run to the edge so pushing that engine and internals will absolutely shorten it's life. How short.. that's the roll of the dice.

This was an issue early on with the 2011 5.0 when tuners came out with tunes for them after release. They were running hot and tuners leaned them out for more power, but they ran hotter and those who bypassed some safety features bit their customers in the ass, hard. (Popped pistons, usually #8 but there were others).
True. That being said there are several Gen 5 V6 that have been running boost for years and they don't seem to be having a lot of issues if they don't go overboard. One nice thing about the V6 is that it is produced in high numbers, so if you push one too far it is much cheaper to replace than the V8. The down side is there aren't companies out producing aftermarket hard parts like pistons, rods and cranks. You have to get those custom made and they can be more expensive than the same part for a V8. Everything has its pluses and minuses...

We won't really know what is weak on the LGX until someone breaks one.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #13
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
To me this is pretty simple from a common sense standpoint:

A CA6 V6 with a turbo(s):
  • Could be even faster than a stock V8
  • More likely to break parts than a stock V8
  • Most likely will cost more than a stock V8
  • Will be worth less than a stock V8
  • Will not have a drive train warranty
So if you are a take a risk type of person who would find fun in beating a stock SS V8 with a turbo 6 and could not care less about money spent and can repair the drive train if needed then go V6 + turbo.

But a more conservative person might like a CA6 SS with LTs, a CAI, and drag radials that runs 11 second quarter miles all day long and is not too worried about the one in million dialed in turbo V6 Camaro.

Says the guy with twin turbos on a V8.

OP my advice is buy the car that performs at least close to the performance you want. It is never cheaper to build your own. Especially considering your turbo V6 will not be worth one penny more than a stock V6. And it may be harder to sell and impossible to trade in.

But if you enjoy piecing together a fast car and you are ready for expensive mistakes and don't consider drive train warranties as important, then go for the fun and the heart aches of a build.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #14
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Peak torque at each speed (steady state) should not be confused with transient torque response. For instance, if you go from 0% throttle to 100% throttle at a given engine speed (2000rpm for instance), I suspect the LT1 torque response curve would look much better than the LF3 / LF4. It will take at least some time for turbos to spool up and for boost pressure to get to where where it would be at on a steady state torque curve.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote