Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
Post Power Steering Fluid

My steering makes a whiny sound, probably caused by the low power steering fluid. I'm thinking about putting in better fluid.

The manual calls for mineral-based GM Power Steering Fluid #89020661, but is it okay to use some of the OTC synthetic brands like Prestone or Royal Purple?

Would it be okay to just add the new fluid into the reservoir, or would I have to extract the old fluid and have it cycle through the system a few times to get rid of as much old fluid as possible?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Most allow being mixed but you would benefit from replacing the existing anyways while you do it. Buy a turkey baster to suck it out, fill it up, turn the steering wheel lock to lock, repeat until you pull out mostly clean new fluid.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
Do you happen to know which grade of power steering fluid is compatible with the 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS? I can't seem to find the #89020661 at any auto parts store.

I'm looking to just filling it up with regular fluid until my warranty runs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Most allow being mixed but you would benefit from replacing the existing anyways while you do it. Buy a turkey baster to suck it out, fill it up, turn the steering wheel lock to lock, repeat until you pull out mostly clean new fluid.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
If you're warranty paranoid then just buy it from your dealer. But anything non-synthetic would be adequate or the synthetics that can be mixed with minerals which it will say on the bottle. Just avoid the generic store brand crap and anything with a stop-leak function.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote