Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
Lubricating seat tracks

Hi everyone,

My power seats have been making screeching noises whenever i slide them forwards and backwards. Has anyone lubricated the seat tracks themselves and can share their knowledge on how to accomplish this? Where would I apply the lube? And will white lithium grease be suitable for this application?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
I can't imagine it would be too hard to figure out where to put it once you get down there. I would probably use a small application of white lithium as my first choice.

Have you been under the seat to look yet?
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan's camaro View Post
Hi everyone,

My power seats have been making screeching noises whenever i slide them forwards and backwards. Has anyone lubricated the seat tracks themselves and can share their knowledge on how to accomplish this? Where would I apply the lube? And will white lithium grease be suitable for this application?

Thanks!
I would start with the tracks and if that did not fix it, there is probably a worm gear attached to the motor as well. If it is screeching, it could be the motor itself and damage may have already occurred. I've never personally heard a power seat screech.

White lithium would be my choice, although these days GM probably sells GM seat track lube and that is the only approved lubricant.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the grease that came on my tracks from the factory is like petroleum jelly. I my have to grease mine sometime as I use them every time i get in and out of the car.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I have a 2004 Silverado that has a squeaking drivers seat track. I tried everything short of removing the seat, but no joy. No matter where I lubed, it squeaked, and it has the auto exit position as part of the memory function so squeaks every time I get out and in. It has been doing it for years and still works.

The Camaro seat should be easier to remove to get to the mechanism.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
White lithium grease (aerosol) solved my seat squeaking issues, apply with the straw to the worm gear and the upper edges of the w shaped rail. Slide seat back and forth.

Check the seat bolts while you are down there, one could be loose and cause your squeaking.