Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #365
Synner

Drives: cars
-10 lines through an improved racing thermostat adapter. I also have a sandwich plate on the oil filter for oil temp and pressure gauge senders.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #366
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
-10 lines through an improved racing thermostat adapter. I also have a sandwich plate on the oil filter for oil temp and pressure gauge senders.

Running the same size lines using Improved Racing cooler and thermostat adaptor. Getting a second pressure reading from front oil galley and thermostat reading from the adaptor. Seeing about a 10 or so PSI difference between the first oil pressure gauge right after the pump and the factory pressure at the top of the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #367
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Any good/bad opinions on the Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler??

Running the radiator. So far so good. Fit is decent but a little tight if you are running a Vararam. Have not been back on the track yet to see how it does in a 20-30 minute session though.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
Old 09-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #368
Synner

My concern is the mishimoto has an internal trans cooler which makes it difficult to get enough capacity out of it. Flexalite is definitely thicker and has no internal trans cooler. Some consider that a pro or a con, it all depends on capacity needed and packaging for a second external cooler. For the auto guys with stalls it's definitely not enough in the mishimoto. It's a good budget option but depends on your desired end state.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #369
tadams72
When is enough ever...

I think for the M6 it's ok. I agree I wouldn't use it for the auto but then again, who runs an auto on the road track anyhow?

Old 09-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #370
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
Running the same size lines using Improved Racing cooler and thermostat adaptor. Getting a second pressure reading from front oil galley and thermostat reading from the adaptor. Seeing about a 10 or so PSI difference between the first oil pressure gauge right after the pump and the factory pressure at the top of the engine.

I pondered going -12 but 2 things held me back.
1, I thought the improved racing adapter and ports out of the block are already the biggest restriction. Granted I know it takes a lot more effort to push fluid through smaller tubes but oh well. I figure it would only buy me 1-2 psi more but I think the added capacity is a far greater benefit and reduces any potential risk.

2, I had 2" primaries originally and packaging was a concern. Since then I've switched to a 1-7/8" ceramic coated header so less of an issue. They lost all their gloss this weekend, lol. Will see how well it holds up. Maybe I'll need a swaintech coating. I hope not, I hate doing crap twice.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #371
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
I pondered going -12 but 2 things held me back.
1, I thought the improved racing adapter and ports out of the block are already the biggest restriction. Granted I know it takes a lot more effort to push fluid through smaller tubes but oh well. I figure it would only buy me 1-2 psi more but I think the added capacity is a far greater benefit and reduces any potential risk.

2, I had 2" primaries originally and packaging was a concern. Since then I've switched to a 1-7/8" ceramic coated header so less of an issue. They lost all their gloss this weekend, lol. Will see how well it holds up. Maybe I'll need a swaintech coating. I hope not, I hate doing crap twice.

Agreed on line size. I started with 1 ⅞" primaries but wrapped them in DEI titanium wrap. Had to rewrap one collector recently as some strategic speed bumps shredded them a bit.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #372
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Going to bump this. Wanted to share what I’m experiencing with my setup:

I sent in my oil sample to Blackstone -- those folks are just great -- awesome service!

Here is my report:

Blackstone Explanation:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/report-explanation.php

Can't argue with that!

I can go to 4000 miles on the oil and running the oil temps up to 270° is not impacting anything -- that is fantastic news!

Looks like the DT40 and ACDelco UPF48R is the ticket for my setup!

Next time, I'm going to send out a transmission and diff sample with the oil and see how that's doing.

Very excited about the findings...

Oil temps max on a 110° track day was 273°.

Link to my track day on 5/26:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...85577&page=146

My cooling is working very well..

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #373
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Hey Don, without reading through your build again (I've been following, but forgot a lot I'm sure): how are you monitoring/measuring actual oil temps? Are you relying on the OE calculations or did you install a sensor for direct temp readings? Thanks
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #374
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

OBDII reads it right - up to 275° The DIC is not accurate as it maxes out @ 266°. I’m adding a analog gauge later but, after the report, I’m confident the readings from the OBDII port are very close. Blackstone was very happy about my analysis when I spoke with them.

I’m using my AeroForce gauges to report my oil temps from the OBDII port...

-Don
Old 06-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #375
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Thanks Don - I knew about the 266 DIC limit, but didn't know the OBDII limit was different. I have been planning to install analog gauges with my oil cooling setup (connected via the Improved Racing adapter ports).
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #376
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Gents I am a little rusty on this thread but unless you have actually installed an oil temp sender and separate gauge, you are seeing a calculated temp through algorithms. That being said, you can not argue with the oil analysis though. Blackstone is a great way to keep up on the health of your engine though.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #377
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Keep looking for a downward trend. I wouldn't wait on oil changes until you get through 2-3 to keep flushing out the break in: metals and fine particles.

After years of reviewing oil reports I have learned the silicon level is the thing to watch. Should be in the teens once stable. Correct oil important, but dirt (even if fine particles) is what creates wear typically. Make sure your intake is well sealed and filter clean. I would go for a dry filter personally and just replace.

For oil, an HTHS of 3.6 or higher is your target. Tenths make a difference.
This is a measurement of viscosity and shear strength at 150C, which parts of your engine are seeing.

I would try Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 also. Mobil's best oil IMO, rated for gasoline engines (SL or SM). You can see the DT40 is slightly under viscosity. Since fuel contamination is low I would suspect the viscosity improvers have sheared some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Going to bump this. Wanted to share what I’m experiencing with my setup:

I sent in my oil sample to Blackstone -- those folks are just great -- awesome service!

Here is my report:

Blackstone Explanation:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/report-explanation.php

Can't argue with that!

I can go to 4000 miles on the oil and running the oil temps up to 270° is not impacting anything -- that is fantastic news!

Looks like the DT40 and ACDelco UPF48R is the ticket for my setup!

Next time, I'm going to send out a transmission and diff sample with the oil and see how that's doing.

Very excited about the findings...

Oil temps max on a 110° track day was 273°.

Link to my track day on 5/26:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...85577&page=146

My cooling is working very well..

-Don
Old 06-05-2018, 11:26 PM   #378
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

DT40 is the oil recommended by my builder (GPI) so I’ll need to be sticking with it for now - since they warranty the engine — better safe than sorry. Since this report is after my first oil change (after my 500 mile break-in), I want to follow what my builder suggested — after all, they build a lot more of these performance engines than I do — and they know what has worked for them. GPI has a stellar rep...

I’ll be changing around 2.5k to 3k miles for the next couple of times just to be safe — oil is cheaper than a new engine ;o)

I have CAI (ADM) and change filter yearly — it is a Lingenfelter (oiled) but I get them at a reasonable cost. I clean the intake/tube/tap the filter after every race just to see if anything is getting past the filter. A quick cleaning and back together — sealed up tight...

My point in sharing was more about my cooling mods at the temps I’m running - and how those are doing what I was hoping for. Appreciate the input!

DT40 info:

https://lnengineering.com/joe-gibbs-...12-quarts.html

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/skin/...heets/DT40.pdf

DT40 has a HTHS of 3.82 and 3.56 after testing I do believe so your point of 3.6 is well taken...

Once I get past the first few oil changes and warranty is over, I will certainly look at the Mobile 1. It is a great oil...

Thanks!

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 06-06-2018 at 12:14 AM.