Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #15
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Im honestly really curious about this.... One side of me says it would be beneficial, the other says a waste of money.
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
Im honestly really curious about this.... One side of me says it would be beneficial, the other says a waste of money.
Well, on my SBC the only additional cost is about $1 more for the filter and another quart of oil
DorkMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #17
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I'd chalk up higher capacity oil filters under one of those things that is probably overkill.

I'd only look into considering this if you're the type of person who is lazy with oil changes and want to go an entire year without changing ....or if your normal oil change intervals indicate that your filter is reaching it's capacity (by sending oil in for analysis).

I think people come from non-di engines and see how quick the oil gets dark and gas smelling and think they have to change the oil out or they need more filtration so they can retain their normal oil change schedule. That's not the case though. People on this forum have sent their oil in for analysis using normal sized filters and normal oil change intervals and the actual numbers are well within normal.

In all likelihood, your top tier normal sized filter should have plenty of capacity to handle your 5k miles or so you'll have your oil in for before changing. Especially in modern engines which run much cleaner and burn less oil due to having tighter tolerances than engines from decades ago. That's why they label them as lasting for 20k miles and such. So if you're changing them out at 5k-10k, you're probably already working with tons of unused filter capacity. Just also watch out that your higher capacity filter is in the same product line as your normal sized one so you're not trading off filtration level for capacity that you may not even need.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #18
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
SS takes 10 qts already, i think its a lot already. Are you looking to extend service life?
Old 10-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Wouldnt that extra capacity filter stick down even farther? On my past two gen5 cars, and now my current gen6. I wouldnt think this would be a good thing, as they sit low to begin with.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #20
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
Wouldnt that extra capacity filter stick down even farther? On my past two gen5 cars, and now my current gen6. I wouldnt think this would be a good thing, as they sit low to begin with.
That's what I was gonna say... OP didn't look under the car. There isn't room for a longer filter without increasing the risk of damage.

Also, I can't imagine anyone with a LT1 Camaro going for an extra-long oil change interval anyways, so there's really no upside to using a larger filter.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #21
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
I'm not gonna lie, I drive the crap out of my Camaro both on and off the track and would like nothing more than to extend the oil change intervals. When you burn through miles as quickly as some of us do oil changes are frequent and often come due at difficult times.

Also, larger capacity will allow for a longer period at lower restriction levels which, especially in colder climates, is a very good thing.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #22
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Sorry if this has already been covered, but is there a larger filter (larger filter media area) with an identical anti-drainback valve and bypass valve to the stock filter? The only other concern would be sitting too low and getting hit with road debris, but the stock filter appears to be tucked up pretty far.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #23
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
This was my first thought, not thrilled with the filter location as is.
Warrior102 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #24
DorkMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
That's what I was gonna say... OP didn't look under the car. There isn't room for a longer filter without increasing the risk of damage.

Also, I can't imagine anyone with a LT1 Camaro going for an extra-long oil change interval anyways, so there's really no upside to using a larger filter.
As the OP - I had looked at the location prior to posting. Extra capacity doesnt mean 2 or 3x the size - it could be larger in length, in diameter, etc...

It was common practice for the manufacturers to have a larger capacity filter for severe applications IE - I own a 1988 Monte Carlo with the SBC 305 in it still. I use the “truck filter” from Wix on it, which is the same filter I used on every SBC engine I have ever owned in the last 25 years. The filter even hangs down past the cross member by 2”. The car is lowered 4” in the front and 5” in the rear (pretty much as low as you could go without a C-notch) and I have had no issues with driving the car all over the Minneapolis / St Paul car scene.

I can’t believe this has been going on for months (This thread) lol

Old 11-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #25
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
...It was common practice for the manufacturers to have a larger capacity filter for severe applications IE -...
You still haven't answered the basic question; how did you conclude the PF64 isn't enough? Any testing or measurements? Have you looked at what filter the LT4 and LT5 engines run?
Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #26
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Same way people determine that stock blower on LT4 is not enough.. MOAR is better

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #27
DorkMissile

Looks like a Wix WL10255XP (for the 6.2 Truck engine) gets you another 1.5" of filter media

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...x?Part=2167935
Old 07-06-2019, 03:53 AM   #28
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Back in the day EVERY hot rod guy ran the truck filter on their SBC car.

I did the same thing on my 71 Nova and the little womans' 78 Camaro.

I have a bigger filter off the D-max on my 03 8.1L C2500hd because the factory filter looks like a thimble. (And it makes easier to have the same filter since I have a D-max K3500 too)

Why do we do it?

Extra filtration and added external surface area helps cool the oil. When the filter gets plugged, it blows the bypass and unfiltered oil goes in the motor. Not a great idea. Problem is, you don't know if you did it. There isn't any code thrown for it. No indicator. NADA.

The factory has to get thru the 3 year/36k warranty period. They have to keep costs down. They have environmental regulations they have to design for.

All this means is maybe the filter is engineered on the small side. Especially when you're used to seeing 1/2qt filter (let alone a 1qt, or sometimes 2qt) screwed on the block.
It's better to have a little more filtration area. It sure can't hurt.

It has absolutely nothing to do with increasing oil change intervals or "low pressure bypass (whatever the @^&*% that means).

To those that want a full engineering analysis on why someone wants to better protect their engine, my recommendation is you do what you want with your toy. If you don't like the idea of a bigger filter, fine. Don't be judgey on those of us who do.

Thanks DM for taking the time to figure that out!
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote