Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
Lc4Hunter

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro Gen 6, 2018
Unhappy Some of the interior lights donīt switch off when car is parked

Hy Camaro-Forum,

at first, let me indroduce myself: My Name is Sebastian and iīm from Germany (so please excuse if my english is not the best, i try to get better ).
My car is a 2018 Camaron SS Gen 6 Coupe (Europe Version) and iīm very happy with it. Awesome car Itīs my first american V8 and i hope it will be not the last one. In the past i drove an older 5series BMW with 4,4l V8.

Well... as you can imagine iīm writing here because i have an issue with my car - after nearly exact an year. A really strange issue no one (in german forums and so on) has an idea of.

I know there are some differences between US and EU versions. EU-versions have the great Navigation system, memory seats, reverse cam and so on. They are quite "full" ;-)

Now the issue: When i park my car and lock it, some of the lights are still on. After 24h without use, theyīre still on. Itīs not the dome light. The dome light works as it should.
Whats on are the small LED-stripes left and right on the backside of the monitor, the light for the door handles on the inside and the little red "lock"-LEDs next to the handles.

What i already did:
I checked the doors and windows, everything was locked and closed properly. The trunk and the hood ware also closed correctly. No warnings at the instrument cluster/headunit (is the right translation?).
I reseted the car settings to factory default - without success.
I also disconnected the battery for about 20minutes. After connecting the error instantly occured.

My dealer has also no idea what it could be and i tried find some informations via Google but without success. On german sites you find... nothing and at the english speaking sites i just found similar issues but the exact error is never the same as i have...

I read something about the so called Body Control Module (BCM) that can cause such errors but i have no idea how to check it. I have no possibility to check the control units or the error log via Software (because you dont get it as a private person ;-) ) and iīm not a mechanic or someone who has much knowledge about such things.

Of course i already checked the little switch/knob next to the steering wheel where you activate and regulate the dome light, it works how it should...

I have really no idea it can be (except a faulty control unit). But maybe you guys have. Hopefully its something easy or maybe iīm just to stupid to change a setting responsible for that...

I attached 2 photos i made. One at night, were you just can see the lights and the second was recorded on day, but you still can see this little LED-stripe. Hope it helps understanding the issue.

Thanks in advance for your help and input!

Bst regards from Saxony
-Sebastian
Attached Images

Last edited by Lc4Hunter; 05-18-2020 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Added more informations for the title
Lc4Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Battery Power Protection should shut off the interior lamps if they are left on for more than 10 minutes when the ignition is off to help prevent the battery from running down. If your car isn't doing that then it sounds like a problem with the body control module which controls timed interior lights. Have the dealership run tests on the BCM to check if it is functioning properly. If they have problems then they should be able to escalate the problem to GM for additional corporate support.

Good luck!
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #3
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
Like Mark114 said, check the BCM (Body Control Module).
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:39 AM   #4
Lc4Hunter

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro Gen 6, 2018
Hello together,

ok, so my guess was right that it sounds like a problem of the BCM.
What i forgot to say: Before i noticed this issue, the car was by the dealer for itīs first service.
During the service they usually check the error log and so on, so i guess that the issue was maybe caused by this... however this can be.

I already called him, we will check the car again on friday afternoon.
Thanks so far guys. I will report when we found the cause.

Lc4Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bcm, camaro 6, error, fault, light problem