Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 09-22-2017, 07:09 AM   #1
Gen5er
Mack da M1SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 1SS 1LE
Interior Door Handle

Has anyone had the problem of the chrome on the door handle peeling off? My driver's side door has a small portion of the chrome peeling and I need to know how to fix it. Or should I just take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. The car is less than a year old. This is ridiculous.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
My driver side is peeling on the inside of the handle. Sometimes when I put my hand in it my fingernail snags on it. I thought I was being nitpicky and im hoping it will all pull of or something before I take it in though but car only has 3000 miles on it
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
I'd use the warranty... but maybe wait until you have to bring it in for something else.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
Gen5er
Mack da M1SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 1SS 1LE
I'm taking Mack in for fluid change this Friday. I will have the service department look at the handle and get an answer. Stay tuned.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
Tracksouljadv

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Im having the same issue but now my 6th gen zl1 just ran out of warranty and people are getting cut on the passenger side inner handle when opening the door. I was told with labor and parts it will run a little over 400. This is insane.
Tracksouljadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #6
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
It's like a $20 part, and can't be that difficult to swap out yourself.

https://www.gmpartswarehouse.com/sea...ndle%2C+inside
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracksouljadv View Post
Im having the same issue but now my 6th gen zl1 just ran out of warranty and people are getting cut on the passenger side inner handle when opening the door. I was told with labor and parts it will run a little over 400. This is insane.
That's because their stupid book probably says charge 3 hours labor + the part which is probably like $20. It is insane.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Have you ever had to work on anything inside of car door before? If you have, you would understand the high labor cost. It isn't easy to replace anything inside a door. Lots of things to cut and scrape you, and even take your finger off, if you're not careful. Takes lots of patience, small hands and proper tools and technique.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb54 View Post
Have you ever had to work on anything inside of car door before? If you have, you would understand the high labor cost. It isn't easy to replace anything inside a door. Lots of things to cut and scrape you, and even take your finger off, if you're not careful. Takes lots of patience, small hands and proper tools and technique.
Correct, for an exterior door handle. But this is an interior door handle. It is attached to the interior door panel. Remove the panel, unhook the cable, unplug the wiring harness and it should be 1 or 2 screws holding it on. Pretty simple and less than an hour of actual labor.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #10
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5er View Post
Has anyone had the problem of the chrome on the door handle peeling off? My driver's side door has a small portion of the chrome peeling and I need to know how to fix it. Or should I just take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. The car is less than a year old. This is ridiculous.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519602
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
I looked at removing the inside door handle to wrap it a couple of weekends ago on my 2019 SS.
I couldnt find a way to unbolt it. it appears that the handle (and its spring) are in a plastic "cup" and this "cup" has plastic "rivets" that are melted over to connect it to the door panel.
I was afraid to grind down the plastic and not be able to reattach the handle assembly as securely as it was from the factory.
Im sure someone could find some type of epoxy to make it work. but I didnt want to try it.
So I wrapped the handles right where they were , made it more difficult but oh well.
I dont remember how it was attached on my 2016 SS
SOLD 2019 Camaro SS -Wrapped in Matte Magnectic Black - Anderson Carbon Hood and Rear Spoiler – Ikon front spoiler – OEM ZL1 Side Rockers - ZL1 Addons Diffuser - BMR 1.0” Lowering Springs - MRR 228 Wheels 20x10 and 20x11
RIP 2016 Camaro SS https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565453
SOLD 2010 Camaro SS Featured in GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Now Magazines - http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #12
dethzombi

Drives: 17 Camaro SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEGXXIS View Post
I looked at removing the inside door handle to wrap it a couple of weekends ago on my 2019 SS.
I couldnt find a way to unbolt it. it appears that the handle (and its spring) are in a plastic "cup" and this "cup" has plastic "rivets" that are melted over to connect it to the door panel.
I was afraid to grind down the plastic and not be able to reattach the handle assembly as securely as it was from the factory.
Im sure someone could find some type of epoxy to make it work. but I didnt want to try it.
So I wrapped the handles right where they were , made it more difficult but oh well.
I dont remember how it was attached on my 2016 SS
If you don't mind me asking, was it difficult to wrap? I've been trying to find a body shop that will wrap it for me but out of 7 places I've checked, all have said no.
dethzombi is offline   Reply With Quote