Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS

Old 05-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Initial thoughts on the Magnuson Magnum DI TVS 2650R (CARB set-up) blower install

Quick background: I live in the Communist State of California, so the biggest reason I went with this blower is for CARB-purposes (which are still pending). So I had to get the complete kit, including Magnuson's canned tune. Second - I didn't want to cut my car up. I also wanted to get the most bald eagles I could out of the OEM-fuel system. High reliability, simplicity of installation, and driveability were also at the top of my list of considerations/requirements.

I'm not a roll-racer or a stop-light fighter. I do LOVE going to the strip on test-and-tune nights and collecting trophies and just having fun with my car doing whatever I am in the mood to do. It sounds lame, but I'm just not into taking the kind of chances that will land me in jail or leave me without my dream car.

The quality of the kit seemed as good as I would imagine and expect from OEM. What I liked a lot was there weren't many special connectors, adapters, hoses, etc. in the kit that you couldn't find elsewhere, relatively easily. Serviceability is a big deal to me, and there wasn't much I can think of that I couldn't fix down the road, if I needed to. Even the intercooler plumbing hoses were pretty simple, and should be easy to replace down the road when necessary. If there was part of the kit that I didn't like (which isn't really the case), it might be the coil relocation. I didn't mind cutting the valve covers, and that was a TINY PITA, but the relocation of the coils is not something I really like (I obviously understand why it was like this, and it was worth it for the cooling, I just don't necessarily like having it like this). The parts provided in the kit are completely fine, and I have nothing against them. I think spending money on some aftermarket valve covers might be a better solution. I am a little worried about heat from the exhaust on the coils, but I can wrap them in heat barrier if it really bugs me. Otherwise, there is a nice fuel line that has to be used, and was completely plug-and-play. That might be the only specialty item that might be a little challenge to fine, if it ever needs replacing. There are some new hoses with the kit, with specific fittings, but a lot of those hoses can be replaced, and the existing kit-adapters can be reused.

Installation went pretty well. I did deviate from Magnuson's instructions in that I re-routed the intercooler return (I think it's the return) line, from where it runs under the pulley/snout, to above, right next to the other intercooler line. This caused a self-inflicted headache because I purchased a different Y-pipe (a narrower angle) [this "Y" is to merge the right and left intercooler lines into one, where it connects to the OEM-single hose] thinking this would create better angles, with no/or less pinching of the hose to the new route I preferred. I ended-up hacking the OEM single-hose to the point to where I just started all over with that part of the connection, and bought a hose with the angles I wanted from my Autozone. Then, I found myself re-clocking all those hose clamps so they wouldn't rub on other rubber hoses, electrical stuffs, or anything that shouldn't be rubbed on. The Magnuson solution probably (I only say probably because I didn't try; it most likely would've been no trouble at all) would've been a lot less trouble, but I liked this look better, so it was worth the extra time and effort for me.

The only other comment about installation I would offer is making sure to route the part of the OEM wire harness that runs from the passenger's side to the driver's side, in front of the blower, carefully, and as you drop the blower onto the engine. I missed how to run that harness when dropping the blower down onto the heads, and ended-up making another small headache for myself. Pictures in the manual, and later steps show where the harness needed to go, but the step of mounting the blower, and routing the harness together didn't really make it that clear to me. The harness needs to be "pinched" (not literally, but I mean placed in between) between the OEM oil separator and front edge of the blower case. I ran it IN FRONT of the separator, and it didn't leave enough slack for the harness to reach all of the ignition coils on the driver's side. Once I re-routed the harness to Magnuson's instructions, everything was fine. The way GM put all the plugs and connections in front of the driver's side cylinder head makes for a big mess of stuff right in that area, but Magnuson does well at making the changes they need to, to get it all to work - and it does.

All-in-all, I am VERY happy and pleased with how it turned out. My 12-YO son even wanted to help, so I waited for him to be home to do this. He even enjoyed the experience and it was something he and I, I believe, will remember forever. What's left is a test-drive soon to see what another nearly-hundred bald eagles feels like. I'd recommend this kit for anyone who had similar constraints to me, and goals that I do. There's a little gear noise from the new bigger blower (because it has bigger gears and such), and it's cool to hear. It's not like a Procharger, but it makes a little bit of cool noise - I like it. Maybe down the road, I'll put the standard-RF CAI on it with the LT5-TB, with a corresponding tune, but I want to keep the CARB-police off my back, so the OEM will have to do, HA. There's just a little more to button-up, and he'll be ready for the first test drive.

*** UPDATE: 05/19/2020 ***
After a couple false starts, and couple test drives around the neighborhood, I'm still pleased, and even more eager to get out on the highway for some good pulls.

In a post or two, I mentioned some tuning things I was encountering. I think those are resolving themselves with more driving. I was getting some "Permanent" codes, and through some guidance and research, they seem to be working themselves out, as I was told they would (I corresponded with Magnuson and HPTuners). There were no driveablity issues or anything like that. AFRs and such were never a problem or in question with the CARB-tune. While that's not completely resolved yet, that is because I haven't driven a whole lot yet. That will change as the weather improves around here.

Driving around the neighborhood is fun. Magnuson's ex-CEO mentioned he felt like the 2650 might be a touch-less responsive as the OEM 1740, but I have to say I don't notice it. That could be because of a couple factors, but suffice to say that I don't think it is any less responsive as it had been before. It's whine is a little louder to me than stock, but it doesn't bug me. I don't like how Prochargers grind-away at idle, and there is a touch of that sound, as I've said before, but it's not annoying in the slightest. I haven't gotten onto it much yet as I was still double-checking my work and tidy'ing-up some stuff I had left un-done. It seems safe to get on the freeway to get more aggressive. I want to finish this tank of fuel, and add some fresh fuel before getting on it much more, but so far, there is nothing bad I have to report. Everything seems as good as I had been hoping for thus far.

*** Update: 05/28/2020 ***
I finally made time to get out of the neighborhood and take my little test drive cycle around my area. It was about 105* and just nasty outside. It was in rush hour, so it was a short ride and there wasn't much room to have a lot of fun, but WOW... BTW - MIL has been off since I last posted and while I haven't, yet, connected to see if the permanent codes are there, Onstar's monthly check-up just advised me there are no codes anywhere for anything, so that's promising.

After getting the engine oil up to temperature, rolling into the throttle (Sport with TC off) nearly as aggressively as I could be, the tires were starting to spin and I could feel the throttle closing (from the hit) below 60-MPH and in any gear less than 3rd. My PDR showed I pretty much never went WOT (I honestly didn't get much above 70 - lame, I know), HAHAHA, and the tires (stock GYs with 800-miles on them) were trying to spin. The car was great, in fact, never trying to perform a tank-slapper or missing a beat. I didn't bring the laptop to capture data, but aside from the additional power, there was nothing strange - no high coolant or oil temperatures. I didn't hear any pinging (A/C was off the whole drive and windows down), or any other anomalies either visually or audibly. It was just another drive, with a lot more power.

Bottom line in this update: The car is starting to scare me now, which is exactly what I wanted. It is in CARB-legal state (certification is still pending as far as I can see on CARB's website), and on Magnuson's canned tune. My wideband doesn't show anything weird, and though I haven't captured much data yet, I have no reason to think I'm going to find too much out of whack. After the warranty, maybe I'll add an LT5 TB and fine tune the tune, but I don't need much more power. I need and will keep it CARB-appearing and won't be changing much from where it is now (I'll probably add a catch can if I find Magnuson doesn't really care, knowing GM will). I don't know that I could be happier at this point with this kit/product. It is meeting and exceeding my hopes and expectations, and it seems like is putting me right in the window of making the power to scare me just a bit, without diminishing my confidence in myself to drive the car, and the car to assist me in keeping it on the road, safe. I'll add that I'm getting a little more idle-whine after putting some miles on it, and it's great. I'm not a fan of the crazy Procharger-type whine at idle, but this is just enough to remind me of what lurks beneath the bonnet, and the resulting fun that awaits.

Another update soon...
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R / Diode Dynamics / Elite Engineering
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
FoundNemo

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I love it without the Maggie plates on top, looks sinister. Nice work!
FoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

I like them on a tiny bit more I think. Like you, I think it looks great without, too, but after I get my CARB-label, I'll attach them, in case The Man pulls me over, HAHAHA. I have to get that OEM air cleaner on there, too. I had to mock all that up in case there were differences between the two.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #4
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10
nice writeup. Let us know how it runs!
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Yea, nice write up man. I never knew you could take the name plates off the top of the blower! I like it better with them off.

How hard was it to remove the OEM blower? That last bolt on the passenger side give you and headaches ??

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
teamwerx

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Looks good, do you know if you have to relocate the coils on the Whipple?
teamwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #7
SienarSystems

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Congratulations!!! What a great COVID purchase/project. You’re going to enjoy it!
Old 05-07-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Yea, nice write up man. I never knew you could take the name plates off the top of the blower! I like it better with them off.

How hard was it to remove the OEM blower? That last bolt on the passenger side give you and headaches ??
Not difficult at all. It probably helped with it having low miles; I've seen accounts of broken supercharger mounting bolts... And that last bolt was NO problem at all. It was pretty easy. The difficult part was not breaking your back trying to lift the old one out. That was the only difficult part though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwerx View Post
Looks good, do you know if you have to relocate the coils on the Whipple?
I don't recall. If you watch some Race Proven Motorsports builds, that might answer your question. Or - if Whipple posts the installation manual online, it would tell you there. The Whipple isn't as wide as this one, but it is wider than stock. Being a good company like they are, if you do have to relocate them, I'm sure they set you up with whatever you need to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SienarSystems View Post
Congratulations!!! What a great COVID purchase/project. You’re going to enjoy it!
It was. CSP had a price I couldn't believe. I would never say it was cheap, but I saved a butt-tonne of money.

I can't wait to see how your build improves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
nice writeup. Let us know how it runs!
Will do!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-07-2020, 05:50 PM   #9
laynlo15

Drives: 2016 1ss A8, Npp
Great information for anyone thinking about a switch.
2016 Camaro 6.2, Magnuson 2650 Heartbreaker, RotoFab, Lt4 short block (stock) BTR Cam kit, stock heads, stock trans/converter/diff. Kentshotrodgarage (M/T,Hoosier, Racestar Wheels), RPM RB, DSS, Gforce, Griptec Pulley Best 9.41@146 Best MPH 149 1/4 5.99@119 Best MPH 120 Best 60' 1.35.
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10
aftermarket makes cnc valve covers for the magnuson 2650 clearance issues for $409.

https://www.cspracing.com/speed-engi...atural-billet/
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #11
teamwerx

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Hows the whine? Louder?
teamwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #12
laynlo15

Drives: 2016 1ss A8, Npp
I have the speed engineering and they are nice.
2016 Camaro 6.2, Magnuson 2650 Heartbreaker, RotoFab, Lt4 short block (stock) BTR Cam kit, stock heads, stock trans/converter/diff. Kentshotrodgarage (M/T,Hoosier, Racestar Wheels), RPM RB, DSS, Gforce, Griptec Pulley Best 9.41@146 Best MPH 149 1/4 5.99@119 Best MPH 120 Best 60' 1.35.
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:00 AM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

I saw those valve covers, but didn't want to fork out more money right now. Those seem like a good alternative, though, I'm not sure if they'll work in a CARB-state, like mine. I haven't looked, but if they have extra ports for a catch can or something, that won't fly here I believe...

I haven't gotten into it yet. I'm running into some tuning (I believe...) issues that I'm trying to work out with HPTuners. I think it's because it's a new model year and there's still some stuff to work out. From the outset, though, it seems at least as loud as the 1740. Hopefully it's a little louder, HAHAHA.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #14
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
You shouldn't be having any issues programing the PCM as it is the same from 2017-2020. However, the TCM was changed and HP Tuners does not yet support the new TCM, which is an issue for trying to maximize the HP/TQ of the TVS2650R.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote