Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2022, 07:44 AM   #1
paradigm
 
Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 61
Brand new 1LE - should I clay bar, polish and wax?

I just picked up my brand new 2022 Satin Steel metallic 1LE a week ago. It sat between the factory and the dealer for approximately two months, and the paint definitely has sediment in it.

I am thinking of claybar, polishing and waxing? I will be washing it regularly, as I enjoy doing that, so I am thinking ceramic coating is a no go?


Or should I skip polish and go straight from claybar to wax?

I will be using Meguaiars Ultimate Polish (orange pad on 7424XP DA) and Collinite 845 insulator wax. Anything else I should use on a new car?



__________________
2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6-speed
paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
xplct
 
xplct's Avatar
 
Drives: 2022 camaro 2ss 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: FL
Posts: 181
I plan on doing the ceramic coating myself, I ended up buying c.quartz ceramic and gliss. Adams is also another great product. If you are planning on doing the clay bar and wax, it wouldn't take much more time (a few hours) to do the ceramic) you just cant drive the car for a day to let it cure, and if you plan on doing two coats like I do then you will have to wait a couple days, it has to cure for 24 hours between coats, or you can use a inferred lights to speed it up.

Just my opinion, ceramic is the way to go.
__________________
xplct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:13 AM   #3
22SS1LE
 
Drives: 2021Tacoma TRD Sport
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Pittsburgh pa
Posts: 98
All depends on the type of clay bar you use and lubrication. Claying most of the time will end up leaving some micro marring if its more aggressive or not enough lubrication is used.
It is best to polish after claying to remove the marks unless you are ok with it.
If the paint is smooth to go after you clay it and you fel it looks good to you without the need to polish then give the car another wash to remove any residue and then a IPA/Panel wipe to remove any other oils or contaminants. Then you can either use a sealant or a ceramic coating.
Skip the 845 wax as that is old news and a bit of a PITA to work with. New stuff is so much more durable and gives better protection.
Over the counter great products are Turtle wax Seal n Shine, Griots Garage 3n1 Wax, Nufinish Graphene, Griots Ceramic Speed shine.
These will all be much easier to work with and last alot longer than 845.

Also what brand orange pad? Everyone's color means something different. If that orange is more cutting dont use that and get something that is more of a polishing pad as that is all you will need.
Make sure if you are poishing you have a few pads and to clean the pad with a brush after every panel. If you dont it will just clog up with the clear coat you are removing and be pretty much useless after about 2 panels or so. Always work clean

If you want to go with a ceramic coating it really isnt that much more effort to do than some of these spray sealants. You just need to make sure you do the proper wipe down to remove all the high spots.
I will say if you want the easiest to use and most friendly is Optimum gloss-coat. Its zero VOC so no smells and no headaches, it almost flashes completely off, and very few high spots to level out.
I am going by experience as I have used on my cars
Optimum gloss-coat, Gtechniq EXO, Gtechniq CSL, Carpro Cquartz UK, Gyeon MOHS
Plus the Optimum one you only need a 4-8hr cure time before it gets wet vs 24hr for every other coating.

Oh and you can drive the car right after using ceramic coatings. You just cant get it wet.

https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/O...a-407p8537.htm

pad cleaner
https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Polishe...ps%2C73&sr=8-5

If you need any other info let me know. I have been doing this for about 15years now
__________________
1SS 1LE 6M in Riverside blue
5/27/22 - 1100 cancelled
Found exact build local- ETA 7/31/22
ETA - now 7/30/22
New ETA - 7/26
New ETA - I guess any day from now till 8/1 Who knows
New ETA 8/8
New ETA - WHO f'n knows
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:32 AM   #4
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6
 
RamAir02's Avatar
 
Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 838
There are some really great YouTube channels about auto detailing which may interest you as you decide on what process you want to follow for your new 1LE.

I really like Pan the Organizer and Ammo NYC.
__________________
2019 ZL1 1LE | M6 | Shadow Gray Metallic | PDR | CF Instrument Panel | Nav | Wheel Locks
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms
.
Sold: 1999 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | 2000 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | 2005 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | 2010 SS/RS M6 (Barton Short Throw, Halltech Yellow Jacket, BC Racing Coilovers, Dynatech LTs, SLP PowerFlo Axleback, JRE tune)
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:34 AM   #5
paradigm
 
Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplct View Post
I plan on doing the ceramic coating myself, I ended up buying c.quartz ceramic and gliss. Adams is also another great product. If you are planning on doing the clay bar and wax, it wouldn't take much more time (a few hours) to do the ceramic) you just cant drive the car for a day to let it cure, and if you plan on doing two coats like I do then you will have to wait a couple days, it has to cure for 24 hours between coats, or you can use a inferred lights to speed it up.

Just my opinion, ceramic is the way to go.
I have been reading mixed reviews on ceramic in other posts I have been reading. Basically issues with water marks, and that if I detail my car often that it is not needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23SS1LE View Post
All depends on the type of clay bar you use and lubrication. Claying most of the time will end up leaving some micro marring if its more aggressive or not enough lubrication is used.
It is best to polish after claying to remove the marks unless you are ok with it.
If the paint is smooth to go after you clay it and you fel it looks good to you without the need to polish then give the car another wash to remove any residue and then a IPA/Panel wipe to remove any other oils or contaminants. Then you can either use a sealant or a ceramic coating.
Skip the 845 wax as that is old news and a bit of a PITA to work with. New stuff is so much more durable and gives better protection.
Over the counter great products are Turtle wax Seal n Shine, Griots Garage 3n1 Wax, Nufinish Graphene, Griots Ceramic Speed shine.
These will all be much easier to work with and last alot longer than 845.

Also what brand orange pad? Everyone's color means something different. If that orange is more cutting dont use that and get something that is more of a polishing pad as that is all you will need.
Make sure if you are poishing you have a few pads and to clean the pad with a brush after every panel. If you dont it will just clog up with the clear coat you are removing and be pretty much useless after about 2 panels or so. Always work clean

If you want to go with a ceramic coating it really isnt that much more effort to do than some of these spray sealants. You just need to make sure you do the proper wipe down to remove all the high spots.
I will say if you want the easiest to use and most friendly is Optimum gloss-coat. Its zero VOC so no smells and no headaches, it almost flashes completely off, and very few high spots to level out.
I am going by experience as I have used on my cars
Optimum gloss-coat, Gtechniq EXO, Gtechniq CSL, Carpro Cquartz UK, Gyeon MOHS
Plus the Optimum one you only need a 4-8hr cure time before it gets wet vs 24hr for every other coating.

Oh and you can drive the car right after using ceramic coatings. You just cant get it wet.

https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/O...a-407p8537.htm

pad cleaner
https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Polishe...ps%2C73&sr=8-5

If you need any other info let me know. I have been doing this for about 15years now
Good information, thanks. As I stated above though, I have been reading that if I detail the car often enough that ceramic coat isn't needed? Also what about watermarks with it? The car will be primarily garage kept and driven on sunny days.

Any other waxes / sealants you would recommend that I could buy online?

I should have stated that I would use clay first, then a white pad for polish and a black pad for wax / sealant. I forget who makes the pads, I bought them years ago and they are foam. I will just buy new chemical brothers hex logic 3 piece kit from Amazon with new 5" pads:

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...ps%2C77&sr=8-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
There are some really great YouTube channels about auto detailing which may interest you as you decide on what process you want to follow for your new 1LE.

I really like Pan the Organizer and Ammo NYC.
Thanks for the videos. This detailing thing is really information overload at first, but I guess I need to do the research.
__________________
2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6-speed
paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:17 AM   #6
22SS1LE
 
Drives: 2021Tacoma TRD Sport
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Pittsburgh pa
Posts: 98
A full-blown ceramic coating is nice for everyday cars to help them stay cleaner and repel more dirt.
Honestly, if you are only driving the car every so often and not in bad weather one of the spray sealants would work more than enough and when they start to fade of in a few months its 10min to reapply.
When I get my camaro I dont plan on doing a full ceramic this time. I am only going to do a base layer with Gyeon Can coat EVO. its like in between a full ceramic and one of the spray ceramics. It gives durability of around a year.

Chemical guys makes pretty mediocre stuff and would avoid them as they are nothing but pure marketing. The pads are fine.
Skip the CG kit and buy 3 of these. You will need more than 1 pad and the CG kit doesnt offer that since your only getting 1 pad of each type.
These are the pads I use for 90% of the stuff I do. They have a decent amount of cut and finish out great.
https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/5...d-428p8155.htm

If you want something that is quick and easy with really good hydrophobics and strong durability of about 5months+ on a daily driven car. Just get some Turtle wax seal n shine. $12 and its super easy to apply and has zero cure time. I have been using that for sometime as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-50...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
__________________
1SS 1LE 6M in Riverside blue
5/27/22 - 1100 cancelled
Found exact build local- ETA 7/31/22
ETA - now 7/30/22
New ETA - 7/26
New ETA - I guess any day from now till 8/1 Who knows
New ETA 8/8
New ETA - WHO f'n knows
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:43 AM   #7
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!
 
Nothing like an SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 779
Hey Neighbor!!!

I have used nothing but Zaino on every car I have owned for 20+ years.

Amazing stuff!!

Where on LI are you?
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:55 AM   #8
22SS1LE
 
Drives: 2021Tacoma TRD Sport
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Pittsburgh pa
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
Hey Neighbor!!!

I have used nothing but Zaino on every car I have owned for 20+ years.

Amazing stuff!!

Where on LI are you?
Dont want to sound mean. Zaino was decent 15years ago but things have moved well beyond it these days.
__________________
1SS 1LE 6M in Riverside blue
5/27/22 - 1100 cancelled
Found exact build local- ETA 7/31/22
ETA - now 7/30/22
New ETA - 7/26
New ETA - I guess any day from now till 8/1 Who knows
New ETA 8/8
New ETA - WHO f'n knows
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:56 AM   #9
paradigm
 
Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23SS1LE View Post
A full-blown ceramic coating is nice for everyday cars to help them stay cleaner and repel more dirt.
Honestly, if you are only driving the car every so often and not in bad weather one of the spray sealants would work more than enough and when they start to fade of in a few months its 10min to reapply.
When I get my camaro I dont plan on doing a full ceramic this time. I am only going to do a base layer with Gyeon Can coat EVO. its like in between a full ceramic and one of the spray ceramics. It gives durability of around a year.

Chemical guys makes pretty mediocre stuff and would avoid them as they are nothing but pure marketing. The pads are fine.
Skip the CG kit and buy 3 of these. You will need more than 1 pad and the CG kit doesnt offer that since your only getting 1 pad of each type.
These are the pads I use for 90% of the stuff I do. They have a decent amount of cut and finish out great.
https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/5...d-428p8155.htm

If you want something that is quick and easy with really good hydrophobics and strong durability of about 5months+ on a daily driven car. Just get some Turtle wax seal n shine. $12 and its super easy to apply and has zero cure time. I have been using that for sometime as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-50...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Thanks for the tips, I think I will go with the Turtle wax seal n shine for now with a black pad. Ill look into the lake country pads, I think thats what I already had but they are old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
Hey Neighbor!!!

I have used nothing but Zaino on every car I have owned for 20+ years.

Amazing stuff!!

Where on LI are you?
Hey neighbor, I am in Westbury. I thought I saw a beautiful blue 1LE on Jericho a couple months ago, I wonder if it was you? Where are you located?
__________________
2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6-speed
paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:57 AM   #10
22SS1LE
 
Drives: 2021Tacoma TRD Sport
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Pittsburgh pa
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
Thanks for the tips, I think I will go with the Turtle wax seal n shine for now with a black pad. Ill look into the lake country pads, I think thats what I already had but they are old.


Hey neighbor, I am in Westbury. I thought I saw a beautiful blue 1LE on Jericho a couple months ago, I wonder if it was you? Where are you located?
dont apply it with a pad.
Use a MF towel for application and removal.
__________________
1SS 1LE 6M in Riverside blue
5/27/22 - 1100 cancelled
Found exact build local- ETA 7/31/22
ETA - now 7/30/22
New ETA - 7/26
New ETA - I guess any day from now till 8/1 Who knows
New ETA 8/8
New ETA - WHO f'n knows
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:33 AM   #11
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!
 
Nothing like an SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
Thanks for the tips, I think I will go with the Turtle wax seal n shine for now with a black pad. Ill look into the lake country pads, I think thats what I already had but they are old.


Hey neighbor, I am in Westbury. I thought I saw a beautiful blue 1LE on Jericho a couple months ago, I wonder if it was you? Where are you located?
I am further east, South Setauket, not out in Nassau much, unless I am heading west on my way off LI. See if we can't get a meet or something this season!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #12
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!
 
Nothing like an SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23SS1LE View Post
Dont want to sound mean. Zaino was decent 15years ago but things have moved well beyond it these days.
No worry! It works well, not too much effort, not too much expense. Bird crap, sap, bugs, all just rinse, even the brake dust on my wheels, nothing sticks. Exhaust tips I can clean with a dry towel! 2 years of ownership, it does what I expect and want.

We all have our choices, all good!!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:56 PM   #13
KirkH


 
Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: KY
Posts: 2,903
Some products look as good on a car today as they did 50 years ago. It depends on what your eyes like.

If you like rubbing on your car, go with polymer sealant and carnauba wax.

If you don’t like rubbing on your car, you can go with ceramic or graphene coating but understand there is maintenance you have to do.

If you don’t like rubbing on your car, and you and you dont want to maintain a ceramic coating, go with the SiO2 spray on spray off products.
__________________
Official Detailer of CamaroFest 8 & 9, Examples of my detailing work: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=521655&page=3
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=547470&page=2
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527474
No one on Earth has detailed more Camaros.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:05 AM   #14
6spdhyperblue


 
Drives: 6th gen
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: US
Posts: 3,304
This is what I’m gonna do with new cars from now on. If your car is delivered without scratches, I would do the following:

Iron remover spray
Clay mit with soap during a wash
Dawn
Spot polish any imperfections if needed(check with a led flashlight)
Dawn again if u did polishing
A coating prep spray then Ceramic/Graphine on top
__________________
‘22 SS 1LE M6 Summit White - RF, Flexfuel, LT2 intake, 95mm tb, ATI udp, VT ramair, catchcan, Adam’s Graphine 9yr
‘16 SS M6 bolton on DR 11.0@126+ (Sold)
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.