Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion


BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #1
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS
 
Murder6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA
Posts: 81
Road to 6s ďBolt onĒ SS

Whatís up guys, I was hoping to get some advice from some of the fast bolt on guys here. I have a 2017 A8 1ss that im trying to get to run 6s in the 1/8 with just bolt ons. I do have a few mods that I cannot do due to where I live.
Car has to run 6.9s at least with the stock Air box and Stock headers.
The car has already been 7.24s @97.6 with the stock air box, stock Tb, unported LT2, and CA cat deletes, and pump E85 (E78). The Drag pack I use isnít the most efficient either as Iím running a 18x8 forgestar F14 with a 235/50/18 tire (43lbs a side) and 17X9.5 Racestars with 305/45/17 Et street Rs. (51lbs a side).
I recently installed a Kirkey driver seat, and will be taking the passenger and rear seat out for race days and I have a Circle D converter specíd by Brett from Pray performance sitting around thatíll probably be my next mod. I will also be doing aerospace front brakes in about a month. I have a green drop in filter coming later this week as well, does anyone know anything about modifying the stock air box? Is it really worth it?
The stuff Iím debating on is whether or not itís worth it to Port the LT2 manifold and pair it with a ported 95mm Tb. (I have a Pray 95 Tb sitting around as well) and doing a Underdrive pulley.
Also if I can run 6.8/6.9s with all the above Iíd like to keep the 18x8 fronts. Iím not against getting real skinnies but if I donít need them then I wonít get them. I do drive the car on the street often and these drive amazing.
Do you guys think my 6.8-6.9 goal is possible? I know this is a unusual mod list, but Any input would be appreciated!
Attached Images
 
Murder6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:10 AM   #2
Yosh6
 
Yosh6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8 Summit White
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: South Texas
Posts: 135
Don't claim to be one of the fast bolt-on guys, but not a slow one either. Sounds to me like you are on the right track (pun intended). Get whatever additional horsepower you can (personally, I would consult Brett @ Pray on that one and ask him to tune it; tranny tune also VERY important); especially, with your unusual requirements (stock exhaust and air box). Brett told me 4 years ago that the Gen 6 air box is one of the best flowing stock air boxes GM has built, especially for stock/near stock air flow. At some increased HP level it will drop off; but, doesn't sound like you will get to that point right now.l After that, weight reduction and traction for a lower 60'. You'll loose another 80 lbs. sans the passenger and rear seats. As I've stated in another post, the converter did more for my 60' than any other mod. Your goal looks very attainable to me. Good luck.
__________________
All Bolt-on 1SS Pray Performance Ported TB / IM, Kooks 1 7/8", E-85, Pray Flex Tune, Gears, Circle D Converter, W/R, Drag Pack, Best 60' 1.462, Best E.T. 10.636 @ 126.19 MPH

Last edited by Yosh6; 10-28-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Yosh6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
laynlo15
 
laynlo15's Avatar
 
Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: clark, mo
Posts: 7,501
I've been 7.02@101 with my C7 and it has Long Tubes, ported Mamo Msd, Stock 95mm TB, stock air box and E85 (E65 usually). My car weighs 3372 with driver and I ran that 7.02 in not so good DA of 2500 and mid to upper 70s. Getting the weight down will help a lot on an NA car like yours. I'm also running the Race Star Drag pack 18x5 with MH front runners and 18x10.5 with 285-40-18 Nitto 555r2s. I don't think you'll benefit from the ported 95 until you figure out the IM. The MSD will make more power up top then down low. I lost a few hundredths going to the MSD but gained most of it back with more timing down low on the launch plus the 95mm helped also. I don't run any adapter either. Oblonged the holes to make it fit the different bolt pattern. You'll get there just need the right parts and weight reduction to make it easier to get there. Good luck
__________________
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Phastek, E85, Rotofab,Lt2 Ported IM/95mmTB, toohighpsi, SCOL , phdtuning-11.64/121-
Maggie coming very soon, Port Inj, 10 rib &other stuff
16SS w/2650 9.41@147, 16 C7 10.90@128
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:39 AM   #4
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS
 
Murder6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh6 View Post
Don't claim to be one of the fast bolt-on guys, but not a slow one either. Sounds to me like you are on the right track (pun intended). Get whatever additional horsepower you can (personally, I would consult Brett @ Pray on that one and ask him to tune it; tranny tune also VERY important); especially, with your unusual requirements (stock exhaust and air box). Brett told me 4 years ago that the Gen 6 air box is one of the best flowing stock air boxes GM has built, especially for stock/near stock air flow. At some increased HP level it will drop off; but, doesn't sound like you will get to that point right now.l After that, weight reduction and traction for a lower 60'. You'll loose another 80 lbs. sans the passenger and rear seats. As I've stated in another post, the converter did more for my 60' than any other mod. Your goal looks very attainable to me. Good luck.
Your car is definitely fast, some blower cars struggle to run a 10.7 LOL
Iím currently tuned by Brett, I havenít emailed him about this just yet because I want to commit to these mods first (Iíve changed my mind on what set up to do a few times now). I was running a Rotofab dry before and got some logs of the car on the stock air box and I lost 1KPA (Went from 97 to 96) but couldnít tell a difference in the butt dyno, so I donít think it did much. I asked Brett about that and he said to just get a Green filter, and after a 2 month wait I got it today.
Iím hitting the track next week with a few small changes from my 7.24 1/8 pass (Kirkey/Seats out, F14 rear wheels weigh 5lbs less per wheel compared to the Racestars, and the Green filter). Iím hoping to get into the 7.1s.
Hopefully the converter and brakes can get me around .3 off combined after that.
Thanks for the feedback man I appreciate it!
Murder6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:07 AM   #5
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS
 
Murder6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
I've been 7.02@101 with my C7 and it has Long Tubes, ported Mamo Msd, Stock 95mm TB, stock air box and E85 (E65 usually). My car weighs 3372 with driver and I ran that 7.02 in not so good DA of 2500 and mid to upper 70s. Getting the weight down will help a lot on an NA car like yours. I'm also running the Race Star Drag pack 18x5 with MH front runners and 18x10.5 with 285-40-18 Nitto 555r2s. I don't think you'll benefit from the ported 95 until you figure out the IM. The MSD will make more power up top then down low. I lost a few hundredths going to the MSD but gained most of it back with more timing down low on the launch plus the 95mm helped also. I don't run any adapter either. Oblonged the holes to make it fit the different bolt pattern. You'll get there just need the right parts and weight reduction to make it easier to get there. Good luck
The DA at my local track for the next few months will be 1000 and under.
3372 with driver is nuts! If I had to take a guess on my 7.24 pass my race weight was very close to 3800lbs. I’m hoping the Kirkey/Seats out will drop close to 100lbs off the car. Part of me wants to get a set of skinnies too I’m sure with some 17x4.5s wrapped in M&H tires I can drop over 20lbs over my current front wheels, but that’ll have to wait. I tried getting the Pray ported 95mm Tb with elongated holes to work on the unported LT2 but it just wouldn’t fit. I’ll definitely have to port the LT2 IM to be able to pair it. I’ve also been debating getting a Katech tb adapter but not sure if that’ll even gain me any HP that way.
Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it!
Murder6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #6
KingLT1


 
KingLT1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 46804
Posts: 5,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder6.2 View Post
The DA at my local track for the next few months will be 1000 and under.
3372 with driver is nuts! If I had to take a guess on my 7.24 pass my race weight was very close to 3800lbs. Iím hoping the Kirkey/Seats out will drop close to 100lbs off the car. Part of me wants to get a set of skinnies too Iím sure with some 17x4.5s wrapped in M&H tires I can drop over 20lbs over my current front wheels, but thatíll have to wait. I tried getting the Pray ported 95mm Tb with elongated holes to work on the unported LT2 but it just wouldnít fit. Iíll definitely have to port the LT2 IM to be able to pair it. Iíve also been debating getting a Katech tb adapter but not sure if thatíll even gain me any HP that way.
Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it!
Base C7 Stingray's weigh around 3350. Z51 adds another 100lb, Z06 adds another 100lb. So they are a good platform for NA because all you need to do is pull passenger seat, drag pack, and a light weight battery and you have a car that is down to 3150-3200lbs w/out driver.
__________________
2016 NFG 1SS A8
Options-2SS Leather/NPP
Perf. mods-Whipple 2.9/Fuel System/Flex Fuel/103mm TB/Rotofab Big Gulp/Cat Deletes/Corsa NPP
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #7
laynlo15
 
laynlo15's Avatar
 
Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: clark, mo
Posts: 7,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Base C7 Stingray's weigh around 3350. Z51 adds another 100lb, Z06 adds another 100lb. So they are a good platform for NA because all you need to do is pull passenger seat, drag pack, and a light weight battery and you have a car that is down to 3150-3200lbs w/out driver.
Haven't pulled the passenger seat yet but have thought about it. I saved about 100 lbs on Exhaust and drag pack. Last time I weighed was at the NMCA with 1/4 tank of fuel. I've lost 17 lbs since then so I'd say mine is 3356 now with a not so fat driver. I weighed 215 then so about 198 now and gonna take off another 20, then if I do pull the seat which should be about 58 lbs and put me under 3300 lbs. Mine is not a Z51 so as light of vet as you can get from the factory I'd say.
__________________
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Phastek, E85, Rotofab,Lt2 Ported IM/95mmTB, toohighpsi, SCOL , phdtuning-11.64/121-
Maggie coming very soon, Port Inj, 10 rib &other stuff
16SS w/2650 9.41@147, 16 C7 10.90@128
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:25 PM   #8
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS
 
Murder6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA
Posts: 81
Update on the build.
So I ended up replacing the stock TB and stock LT2 with a Pray Performance ported 95mm TB and a Ported MSD.
Car is running lean and needs a retune. Sent Brett a log already.
And Waiting on GPI to ship my Aerospace brakes.
Track opens up late January hopefully the car will be ready by then to make some passes.

Also for anyone curious on the KPA difference between a Stock LT2 and stock TB vs a ported MSD and ported 95mm TB, it jumped from 97kpa to 98.5kpa.
Attached Images
    

Last edited by Murder6.2; 03-16-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Murder6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #9
Duramacr1
2Spdsy
 
Duramacr1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 A10
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mission hills
Posts: 82
Very Nice. Iíll see you out there bro. I installed cat deletes , unported MSD, rotofab, and a soler 103mm TB on the way. Still need a tune though. Iím gonna pull the passenger seat as well. I want to see how fast it will go at Irwindale .
Duramacr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:13 PM   #10
Trochoidal

 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder6.2 View Post
Also for anyone curious on the KPA difference between a Stock LT2 and stock TB vs a ported MSD and ported 95mm TB, it jumped from 97kpa to 98.5kpa.
On the LT2 setup, did you use the stock 87mm LT1 TB?
__________________
Roto-Fab w/sound tube delete, Katech ported TB, Pray IM, Velossa, DD side markers, DSX FF, UPR Catch can, Halo brace, My custom vent gauge pod
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #11
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS
 
Murder6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramacr1 View Post
Very Nice. Iíll see you out there bro. I installed cat deletes , unported MSD, rotofab, and a soler 103mm TB on the way. Still need a tune though. Iím gonna pull the passenger seat as well. I want to see how fast it will go at Irwindale .
I saw you were running 11.4s at famoso just on some Ethanol, thatís moving those LT1s are fast. You should have no problem going low 11s, and low 7s now.
After I installed my MSD/95 I took it for a spin and did a pull it doesnít pull as hard as the LT2, Iím hoping the retune will get it where itís suppose to be.
Iíll see you there bro, you have a IG?
Murder6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:39 PM   #12
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS
 
Murder6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
On the LT2 setup, did you use the stock 87mm LT1 TB?
Yes sir.
Murder6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:02 PM   #13
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS
 
Murder6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA
Posts: 81
Still getting it dialed in but this is where weíre at.
Only have one successful pass so far.
Next time out weíll get that 6.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by Murder6.2; 02-13-2022 at 09:11 PM.
Murder6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:27 PM   #14
s346k

 
s346k's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: indiana
Posts: 2,142
youre getting there. those auto cars are fast.
__________________
2016+ camaro: everyoneís first car
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.