Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
Red Beard
Instagram @redbeardfifty

Drives: Chevy colroado, Gmc yukon
V6 oil cooler

Hey guys, I’m not sure if the camaro v6 has an engine oil cooler or not. But if not, are any of you track guys running one and if so, how are you plumbing it off the engine?

On my Colorado zr2 prerunner, the oem radiator and trans cooler is coming out for a different shaped cbr one so a better angled bumper can be built.
So the trans cooler will be run in the bed cage. I am going to run tabs in the back as well for an engine oil cooler just in case we see higher temps considering the added speed ability with the build. (Not to mention we will be adding a supercharger which will generate more heat)
So if we do find the need for cooling the engine oil, we will run a thermostat of course, but with that odd filter assembly this motor has, it’s not the same old same old for adding lines and a cooler.

So want to see if you guys have come up with a solution.
Attached Images

Red Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #2
Kairles

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green LS 1LE
Some cars do have a engine oil cooler. The LGX in the 6thgen Camaro uses a spin on filter. Different from the canister filter used in the LGZ found in the Colorado's. You may be able to change the filter adapter/housing to the one used on the LGX. Then run a sandwich style adapter to plumb an external oil cooler.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:52 PM   #3
Camrochris

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 3.6L supe
Oh thats cool. (No pun intended). I have a Supercharged 3.6 LGX and an external oil cooler would be great. Although, all my fast running is now done on an old closed road. See, I keep my oil temp on screen and at a sustained 92mph avg...it doesn't seem to get hot. I guess what I am saying is that if I have this type of track day 2x a month and all my guages read good...should I get one just in case?
Camrochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:00 PM   #4
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Why not get the one on the 1le?
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:56 PM   #5
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
I tried to install an external oil cooler on my RS. I used two different sandwich plates and along with 10AN braided hose. The harmonic noise and vibration from the oil pump was so loud and aggravating that I removed the kit. I think this is the main reason why Mishimoto does NOT make an aftermarket kit for the V6.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:36 PM   #6
Gen6cyl

I don't track my lgx but I do run it hard a good bit.I change oil 5-6k miles and run 93 octane always. Why did you feel need for a oil cooler?
Old 07-09-2022, 06:09 PM   #7
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
Hey guys, I’m not sure if the camaro v6 has an engine oil cooler or not. But if not, are any of you track guys running one and if so, how are you plumbing it off the engine?
I have the factory-option oil cooler. The following link shows you an exploded view:

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/v-2021...em--oil-cooler
Attached Images

The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:08 PM   #8
Gen6cyl

Nice
Old 07-14-2022, 12:18 AM   #9
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
I have the factory-option oil cooler. The following link shows you an exploded view:

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/v-2021...em--oil-cooler
Hey it Looks like that factory unit bolts directly above the water pump to the engine block. I just checked my RS and it seems to have multiple bolts in the same path as the adapter. Now the upper radiator hose is very close to that area too. i think that it is part of the factory performance cooling option. I am willing to bet that someone could run an aftermarket kit from that source. THANKS MAVERICK for the picture and part reference!
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote