Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 11-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #57
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Sucky day - flat tire and destroyed inner shoulder on ONE tire.

Insult on injury, passenger side INNER tie rod appears to have play as well.

Pro Tip: Learn to use OEM inflator sealant before you need to use it.
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #58
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Retired chemical goo inflator in place of more reliable and less messy tire plug kit. Slime Prokit.. like $22. Probably never need it now, which is OK with me.

Dealer replaced the inner tie rod $119 retail + labor. Came out to $300 n change, all covered under GM extended warranty.

Slapped on 2 new front tires - hello tire rack clearance sale - and put another autox in the bank. Rear tires were just about done.

3 years of autox in this car - loving it. It's totally the wrong tool, but it makes all the right noises.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

Last edited by Vtor_ZL1; 02-22-2023 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:38 PM   #59
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

And because bad choices usually comes in pairs ... here goes my front CCM conversion.

Original rotors were down to 35mm (noticeable lip on both sides), probably another 1mm of pads before the squeaker kicked in.

Learnings - retract caliper pistons before you take it all apart, make sure its not "too full: or you will have clean up to do. Allow rotor hats to sit overnight in evaporust or similar to make clean up easier. A little stand to hold rotor upright makes final assembly and torquing much easier.

Wheels are as dirty as when I put them away last year - was hoping they woudl have cleaned themselves.

CCM rotors are 100% OE match, Brembo @ 390 mm x 36 mm. Kinda happened by accident. Ordered one thing, got another - got lucky. All GM stuff i checked for CCM is 394 variety.

Pads are from a OEM GM for CCM rotors. I can see why racing brake water jets the inner 2-3mm off the OE pads - it's very close but there is no contact whatsoever.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2022, 12:05 PM   #60
PowerDemon

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Golf GTI
How much weight does that save per corner? They look great!
PowerDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:13 PM   #61
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDemon View Post
How much weight does that save per corner? They look great!

I didn't really check, but its estimated to be around 14 lbs per corner.

Old 05-14-2022, 03:19 PM   #62
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

The rears brakes were just about due, as rotor thickness was just below min spec, which is not much wear at all! Pads still had a millimeter or two until squeaker kicked in.

Was hoping to use performance GM ac delco rotors, but out of stock, so ordered what looked like mirror copy, Raybestos. Machining on these is not as nice as OEM rotors, edges are bit sharper - def a step down from OEM vs premium Raybestors rotor. As expected, they got beat up in shipping so coating required a bit of touch up. Pads are OEM GM pads as I had ordered a loong time ago when I saw their price take major dip on amazon. If you need maintenance items, those price trackers can save you bundle. Downside.. now I have set of front pads I probably will never use. With price of everything going up - might break even selling New-in-box.

Parking brake will probably last forever! Removed any rust build up under hub, spritz of fluid film and remove any loose stuff while in there. Those caliper bracket bolts are a *** to remove. Sticky the entire way out. Blue loctite on the way in - went in much easier.

Cordless drill and some scotchbrite make easy clean up of the through pins. Brass brush cleans up spring plate with just few strokes. OEM pads include stainless anti-rattle shims and what looks like copper color brake grease, quite tacky stuff.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2022, 02:53 PM   #63
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Couple of events into the season, trying the rear swaybar in soft setting (inner most hole). Still not big fan of throttle mapping as you have to super gently squeeze throttle to keep rear end of trying to send you through course sideways

Tried few different traction options, trying to keep everything else the same. I can't stand track modes in sport 1, S2 or race as it snaps throttle shut with any sort of launch. Sport w double click is little too sideways to be fast, but at least predictable off the line. Will have to find better way to launch in track modes without it trying to break your neck from throttle closing whiplash.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #64
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Is there a noticeable difference through the steering wheel due to the 'lighter' CCB rotors? At a savings of 14lb per corner, one would hope it translates to better response.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:15 PM   #65
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

There was few weeks gap between event with stock rotors and event with CCB, so I can't really connect the two events. I also put rear swaybar into soft setting, trying to keep rear end of stepping out as aggressively under throttle. I really should take car in for autocross eLSD configuration.

In other words, my butt dyno is not precise enough to tell the difference. With black finish wheels, you can barely tell they are back there. Now if I could swing some Apex Vs-5RS wheels.. maybe different story.

I do have to check center carrier bearing, stupid ticking noise going from forward/reverse is annoying.

Dealing with aftermath of moron turning left in front of me... hoping car is done by next event June 19th xx fingers crossed xx

Old 11-22-2022, 10:01 PM   #66
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

2023 almost here!

Last edited by Vtor_ZL1; 02-22-2023 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:20 AM   #67
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

It took a while, but I finally put a track day on calendar, of course hurricane Lee may decide its rainy weekend - oh well!

Since I didn't know what to expect w CCB brakes on track, i sprung for set of OE rotors and use set of OE pads I ordered a veryyy long time ago. Stock stuff always had a much more forgiving initial bite than pads I have on the CCB.

10 qts of 15W50 waiting to get dropped in along w new oil filter.

Goal: Enjoy the track, stay out of other people trouble, avoid idiots!
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2023, 10:37 PM   #68
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Not sure if source for laggy throttle when hot, but this mofo drank over pint of water/water wetter!

Piece of hose, funnel and long paint brush handle/stick to activate the valve.

Initially it burped as soon as I cracked it open and then we ran engine, stabbing throttle a bit to force pump to run. I was happy with all the air we got out. Once we burped out most of the air, we turn the engine off and cracked the bleeder on the coolant pipe, guessing that was high point cuz we more bubbles came out. We purged balance of bit of water in hose out of that orifice. I was expecting much more dexcool appearance, this was rather clear - may need future complete flush!

Quick clean up and it was ready for drive.

In the mail, fresh set of PS4S... the current ones are DONE! Inside of the fronts were corded, rear on wear bars. Odo at 30K miles. Got maybe 23-26K out of them - pretty good in my book.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2023, 06:43 PM   #69
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Tell me more about this track day you booked! When and where? My last event of the season is at NJMP - Thunderbolt with PCA Delaware.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 10:00 AM   #70
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

I'll be at NJMP Lightning on 16th w NASA. Autox on 17th. Sore and tired on 18th for sure.

Weather is looking awesome for both days.