Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-14-2023, 08:06 AM   #1
auto_god

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Spent Some Time With HPTuners & Virtual Dyno

The owner of this car bought it last summer & brought it by to get some baseline data with HP Tuners & Virtual Dyno. Car in question is a 2019 1LT 1LE V6 manual.

The results surprised me a bit.

2019V6 1LE Stock by Hewitt Shane, on Flickr

Doing a quick search though revealed that this result is consistent with what other cars have done.

Dyno chart borrowed from Lord M's post here.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...oogle_vignette

dyno by Hewitt Shane, on Flickr

Later on in the fall the car was once again brought by after having a Cold Air Inductions intake installed. The owner liked the appearance of the GMPP intake on my SS 1LE and decided to go with the same brand for his 1LE. Luckily I decided to stuff my wideband in the tailpipe to see if the MAF curve had been influenced at all.

Cold Air Inductions Intake by Hewitt Shane, on Flickr

While Virtual Dyno showed moderate gains across the curve, what it doesn't show is that the car went seriously lean........no richer than 14.3:1 through the entire pull......that's not good!

Clearly this was going to need some tuning just to get the fueling back into what I would consider a safe operating range.

Our schedules finally lined up and got it sorted out again yesterday. I'm pleasantly surprised by these V6's.

Stock vs Intake vs Tuned by Hewitt Shane, on Flickr

There are a few things I'd like to try still, but the owner is pretty pleased with the results.
auto_god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:19 PM   #2
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Interesting, I had a K&N intake on my v6 in the past and it ran what I thought well without a tune. After tune it was better but only a slight butt feel better.

I thought CAI advertised no tune needed on their products, this makes me question if I should try out me OEM intake for my 1LE
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 05:36 PM   #3
auto_god

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Interesting, I had a K&N intake on my v6 in the past and it ran what I thought well without a tune. After tune it was better but only a slight butt feel better.

I thought CAI advertised no tune needed on their products, this makes me question if I should try out me OEM intake for my 1LE
This car "seemed" to run well without a tune too, but looking at the data told an entirely different story.

Unfortunately my experiences with manufacturers claims is what prompted me to put my wideband in the car to begin with. I've turned into a "Trust, but verify" kind of person after decades of playing with cars. I'm not knocking the Cold Air Inductions product at all, it fit well, clearly performs well, just needed some tuning in this particular instance.......as I stated above, I use their intake on my own car. But, I have also seen the OE MAF curve vs the one provided with the GMPP intake for my car.......this also contributed to my decision to put the wideband in the car.

If my post came across as knocking the Cold Air Inductions kit, perhaps I worded it poorly. My real intent was to convey my surprise at these V6 engines making 300+ whp with so little modification. It doesn't seem all that long ago to me that people were mind blown when the LS1 cars showed up and started making 300 whp.........
auto_god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 07:52 PM   #4
CYN_CRVR

Drives: 2023 V6 RS 6MT
cool - thanks for sharing!
CYN_CRVR is offline   Reply With Quote