Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 AM   #1
Steelankles

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Daily driving tires for stock 1LE wheels

I just bought my 1LE and I really like it but i drive 57 miles to work and back every day.

Im looking at those big soft steam rollers wondering how long is that going to last!

What other tires last longer and dont cost an arm and a leg

My usual go to tire is a Nitto555 but the usually last about 25k. But are dont perform like the supercar tire. Anyone tried NT05 how long do they last.

I woul like to get a tire that can make 20k a year
thoughts?
Youtube: Steelankles
https://youtube.com/c/steelankles
Steelankles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Michelin Pilot Super Sport. You gotta pay to play though. You cant get soft, big performance tires with good tread wear for cheap.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelankles View Post
I just bought my 1LE and I really like it but i drive 57 miles to work and back every day.

Im looking at those big soft steam rollers wondering how long is that going to last!

My usual go to tire is a Nitto555 but the usually last about 25k. But are dont perform like the supercar tire. Anyone tried NT05 how long do they last.

thoughts?
NT05 is a 200TW. Softer than the G3's.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/michel...140000718.html
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Michelin Pilot Super Sport. You gotta pay to play though. You cant get soft, big performance tires with good tread wear for cheap.
Tomorrow or Friday, I'll have MPSS's I got from TireRack mounted on another set of stock wheels. Continental DW's are not a bad choice either. Both are WAY better than the Nitto 555's, but, at a price. You have to click on the tire sizes individually on the website as they don't show up under a ZL1 and SS 1LE was not on the drop down menu, at least when I ordered. Plus, there are at least two versions of each tire size with different compounds and tread depths to choose from.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:

thoughts?
Wait till March ... Michellin is releasing the PS4S.... the successor to the PSS.... so far the European reviews are very favourable...
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Steelankles

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
pretty sure thats what i had on my c7 was mpss runflats

lasted 11k with 1 trackday.
replaced it with 555s tw was 300 wasnt even close to performance level though
Sounds like nt05 would last even less than that.
Youtube: Steelankles
https://youtube.com/c/steelankles
Steelankles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
Wait till March ... Michellin is releasing the PS4S.... the successor to the PSS.... so far the European reviews are very favourable...
Initial release does not have either of the SS 1LE / ZL1 sizes. I'm sure they will add more.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #9
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
pretty sure thats what i had on my c7 was mpss runflats

lasted 11k with 1 trackday.
replaced it with 555s tw was 300 wasnt even close to performance level though
Sounds like nt05 would last even less than that.
Dang man! I am under the assumption the MPSS is still your best choice. Best daily driving characteristics(road noise, comfort, wet traction) in its class, with the best tread wear for performance. It is also cheaper than its closest rivals.

Sounds like tires are going to be a frequent purchase for you maybe with as aggressive as it seems you drive.

Good luck in your search though, I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
From my research the MPSS will not give you significantly more milage than the stock tires. (assuming the Supercar 3's get similar mileage to the Goodyear Supercar G:2s on my 5th Gen) One of the big issues you guys will have with your 6th Gen 1LE's is that you won't be able to rotate a staggered tire setup and that will negatively affect the mileage you will be able to get from a set of tires. In addition the MPSS (Max Performance Summer) will not perform as well as the Supercar 3's or any of the other Extreme Performance Summer tires available, namely the Bridgestone RE-71r's or the Hankook RS3's and soon to be released RS4's. (I don't think anything else will fit) If you switch to MPSS you will be getting about the same milage in a more expensive tire and lower performance than the stock Goodyears or similar Extreme Summer tire.

If your only goal is to increase milage then your best bet is to forget any of the Summer tires and go with a square setup with Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ should fit front and back with 285/30R20's or potentially Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position, or Continental Extremecontact DWS in 285/30R20 either of the last two could fit with a slight stretch on the back wheels. Rotation would require dismounting of the tires though. These are also cheaper by at least $100 per tire than the MPSS or any of the other Summer tires discussed. You will have significantly less handling performance but you gain a LOT of mileage and save money per tire to boot so its a good tradeoff. There are probably other sizes in the Ultra High Performance All-Season category that will fit your stock wheels but I didn't take the time to look up all possibilities.

TLDR: MPSS will cost more, give you similar mileage and lower performance than the stock Goodyear Supercar 3's. Go with Ultra High Performance All-Season tires to save money and get better mileage.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
From my research the MPSS will not give you significantly more milage than the stock tires. (assuming the Supercar 3's get similar mileage to the Goodyear Supercar G:2s on my 5th Gen) One of the big issues you guys will have with your 6th Gen 1LE's is that you won't be able to rotate a staggered tire setup and that will negatively affect the mileage you will be able to get from a set of tires. In addition the MPSS (Max Performance Summer) will not perform as well as the Supercar 3's or any of the other Extreme Performance Summer tires available, namely the Bridgestone RE-71r's or the Hankook RS3's and soon to be released RS4's. (I don't think anything else will fit) If you switch to MPSS you will be getting about the same milage in a more expensive tire and lower performance than the stock Goodyears or similar Extreme Summer tire.

If your only goal is to increase milage then your best bet is to forget any of the Summer tires and go with a square setup with Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ should fit front and back with 285/30R20's or potentially Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position, or Continental Extremecontact DWS in 285/30R20 either of the last two could fit with a slight stretch on the back wheels. Rotation would require dismounting of the tires though. These are also cheaper by at least $100 per tire than the MPSS or any of the other Summer tires discussed. You will have significantly less handling performance but you gain a LOT of mileage and save money per tire to boot so its a good tradeoff. There are probably other sizes in the Ultra High Performance All-Season category that will fit your stock wheels but I didn't take the time to look up all possibilities.

TLDR: MPSS will cost more, give you similar mileage and lower performance than the stock Goodyear Supercar 3's. Go with Ultra High Performance All-Season tires to save money and get better mileage.
The stock tires are way reduced tread depth and way softer than a MPSS. 3/32" on outer section vs almost 9/32 and 5 to 6/32" vs 9/32" elsewhere. I have ran through multiple sets of them and get 30K on the fronts and 10K on the rears as I spin them a lot but don't do much hard cornering on that car. No way will these last. Stock durometer is much softer than what the 220 Rating indicates. Not saying the MPSS is the perfect daily. The Continental DW is a much better buy typically. Not sure if our sizes are available. Be sure to check how good the rim protector is though. A set of DW's on another car did not have near the rim protection feature of the Goodyear F1 nor MPSS that I switched to.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
RUQWIKR

If available (not sure of sizes they have) and wanting an all season high performance tire instead, Continental DWS06 or Michelin AS3+ are good choices. Have the 06's on wife's car and my lowly Cruze Eco.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #13
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
This!!! buy the Pilot Sport 4's in march and run the 295/30R20's all around on a 20X10 wheel. Then you can also rotate to maximize the mileage from them.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:37 AM   #14
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
This!!! buy the Pilot Sport 4's in march and run the 295/30R20's all around on a 20X10 wheel. Then you can also rotate to maximize the mileage from them.
Are you doing this? I imagine that might be tight in the front...
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote