Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Phastek Performance

Old 12-29-2016, 03:53 AM   #1
Josh The People

Drives: TT 10' SS -> 16' SS
DRLs and Tail Light ideas (want to hack up the car haha)

Alright, so im sitting here middle of the night/morning playing Forza Horizon 3 with the "16 SS i have in game and i start to notice/get ideas about a few things mostly to do with lights on the car in real life lol. 2 main questions/ideas i have and would like to toss around.

#1:
On my "10 5th gen i was able to have the DRLs active any time i like. Including the middle of the night/pitch black(when it would be safer to have the full headlights on). Now from what i have tried, no matter the setting as soon my "16 6th gen car sensor detects its "too dark" the headlights automtically turn on. My question is there a way to over ride this feature and have full control of the lights? Put simply i want the DRLs only to be on in the dark.

#2:
This on is a little more advanced. I was tossing around the idea of turning the 2 reverse lights into brake lights and relocating/make new reverse lights somewhere else on the bumper (possibly where the lower reflectors are on the lower facia just above the exhaust?).
My idea would be to take the existing reverse sockets and splice them into the existing brake light wiring (change bulb to red one if they would fit the same socket?). Then run longer wiring from the now open reverse wiring down to new reverse light location/reverse light (led strip/bar?). The reason for this would be to have the car throw back to the early 5th gens with the 4 brake lights rather than just the 2 on the outside, might not be a look for everyone but i think i would like it.

Anyone have any imput on either of these topics? Any help or ideas is appreciated or anything i might not be considering before i try and tackle any wiring?

Also here ya go because i already know heres a couple :p

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Blam2526

Drives: 16 2SS
That picture with it up in jackstands... where are they positioned? I've been using the pinch welds with jack stands and it always seems sketchy
Hyper Blue 2SS, Jet black int, NPP, MRC, 6MT, 56V rims, NAV, Sunroof, Black Bow ties, painted engine cover, black tail lights and side markers, Lime green calipers, custom painted SS badges, Stillen body kit, Borla ATAK and Cat delete Xpipe
Blam2526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Number 2 might be illegal given your local laws, number 1, I think you could purchase the Diode Dynamics DRL kit and have full control of them
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
TransAmx2

Drives: '98 Pontiac Trans Am
#3 Take one of the Skull Tiki Torches (from the picture of the '16 in the garage) remove the stick, connect to some string and insert 2 Red LED's in the eye sockets, hang from rear-view mirror.
2007 Z51 Corvette M6 (Salvage Project Car)
1987 Trans Am 350tpi A4 RIP
TransAmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
Mr. Grumpy
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Something like this?
This is the European version.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy View Post
Something like this?
This is the European version.

I think it is the everywhere but north america version.
Pictures from south korean member shows that rear diffuser light as well.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
#1 I'm not sure I understand. You should be able to have just the DRLs on if its dark and you are sitting still. Otherwise you can have them on only when its dusk out. When its completely dark, I haven't tried, but I can't imagine why you'd want to drive around in the dark with no headlights on. Must be for city driving I'm assuming b/c no way I'd want to take it on the highway with my headlights off.

#2 I'm sure it would be overly complicated and/or expensive, but I'd love to see a mod where all four tail lamps could be used for the brake lights, and then the "global" diffuser" with the reverse light used for that. I don't really care for the look when its just the two outter rear lights used for brake lights. The 5th gen looks better in the regard (my opinion)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Hi Josh!,
I guess that option No. 2 will be the easiest to be applied to your car: you should order a new EU-spec rear diffuser, the full reverse light assembly that are used on European specification cars and some wiring/plugs extensions for the reverse lights line.

Unluckily that will not be enough, as the brake lights on European Camaros are exactly two, as in the US cars.

So (as by your suggestion) you should remove the current reverse lights from the main units and create a longer harness to get to the new EU diffuser and EU reverse light assembly. That means to bring the electric line down to the bumper.. nothing too difficult. After that, you should add two red reverse LED lights into the "old" reverse light sockets and bridge the electric line to the existing stop lights. And the job will be done!

But.. are you sure that modifying the rear brake lights is allowed in Ontario? If it is, go with this modification!!

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
There is an easier way to do that. You can get Red/White switchback LED Bulbs. All you need to do is run one extra wire to the brake light and leave the original wire for the white part of the bulb. If you step on the brake, it lights up red, when in reverse, it lights up white.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I want the opposite; DRLs off with headlights on.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #11
cryssm

Drives: Car
I'm not sure if this helps, but, our cars already have a light override on the turn signal stock. If you turn it to just "parking lights," the DRLs should be the only lights that turn on; downside to that is they're dimmed, and won't shine at full brightness as they would if in auto-mode with light detected. Aside from that, I got nothing.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #12
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
@MGD:
Great idea!! It really semplifies the conversion a lot! +1

@JOSH:
Option No. 1 solved! Gen5DIY.com has an harness for dimming or NON DIMMING factory LED eyebrows. It only costs 50 USD..

See their product here, for reference:
http://www.gen5diy.com/Gen6-Camaro-Eyebrow-Harness8/

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #13
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
First congrats, but dont use this word "hack" or some one may try to pull your warranty, i know what you meant by it.

Number one is not hard to do at all we can work with you to make that happen, Number two is a nice idea, but if i can add to it, why not cut open 2 sets of tail lights and make one new set, on the out side of the tail lights is a circuit board for the brake/turn signal, and its mounted on the top not the back of the light, we think you can mod the tail light to fit 2 boards per tail light, and still keep the R light where it is, hope to get to it soon.

Will post some pics soon.

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 12-30-2016 at 10:12 AM.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:40 PM   #14
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
This is fine as long as you never bring the car into a dealer. If you do they plug into the Chevy system, to verify the VIN and Options and do any system updates. The on board will show an error code for the lighting control and then they will pull the warranty. after they track the rewiring. Is it worth it? Just curious.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote