Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
brzfan

Drives: '18 Camero V6 1LE
V6 1LE manual transmission leaking after fluid change

My manual transmission is leaking after taking to shop for transmission fluid change (6500 miles). The fluid I used is Motul ATF VI (https://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/atf-vi). Last time they changed fluid (1500 miles) I didn't have any issues, but they used Redline ATF D6.

I think they used red silicone (?) and teflon tape to seal the drain hole. Torqued to 20 ft lbs. Is there a special kind of sealant that's supposed to be used?

I took it back to the shop to try diagnose and try again, but it's still leaking after they did the fluid change again. I see a hairline crack running down the drain tube, which looks a bit odd, but the casing has cracks everywhere as well. Shop says they are willing to weld casing for free if it's caused by them overtorqueing bolt, but that seems unlikely to be the cause. I would expect the threads or bolt to be destroyed before overtorqueing would crack the case. They checked the threads and didn't see any issue. Any idea what the issue might be? I'm going to take it to the dealer to diagnose.

Model is 2018 V6 w/ 1LE package.
brzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:49 AM   #2
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I'm pretty sure the drain plug is tapered and the case is aluminum, so it is possible to crack the case.