Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #29
thecamaroproject246

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Hey, I thought you dropped a subtle hint. Yes, your point is absolutely valid, there is little practical use for V8, let alone supercharged V8 power on the street. Near instant high torque is more of a difference between the V6 and the V8, though, and it definitely matters to some. I had a V6 first and I thought it'd be enough, it should've been by all logical means, but I misjudged myself.

As you stated, all this is very subjective, we are all different and I for one don't mind paying for a feature (in this case, power) that I will only use 1-2% of the time, but it is reassuring to know it is there, on tap, available at any time. Rational? Not at all, but then buying a Camaro in the first place isn't a rational move either
Responding to two comments but yeah the V6 has plenty of power, and when I first got the car I thought it would be enough power to satisfy me especially since my car before was a Toyota Celica LOL, but after a awhile and getting used to the power I can't help but want more. Sure you'd barely be able to use the full potential of the car but after doing plenty of research and spending more time driving friends SS I gotta say you can't compete with that V8 under the hood.

I still love my V6 but at this point I would say the V6 is a great starting point but if you want a car that you can take to the track and confidently be faster than 90% of the cars on the road just get the SS. It almost pains me to say cause I was team V6 for awhile since I got my car and really wanted to throw a supercharger in there to beat V8's. But I know after that I would most likely cap to the limit the SC V6 could offer and just end up getting the SS and upgrading from there. And investing all that money in supercharging almost never results in returned value for trades unless there's a small chance someone you know is willing to pay for all the time, and money you put into the car.

I just want to put my 2 cents for anyone thinking about doing the same. If you have deep pockets then yeah sure drop money on supercharging you car, but if you had that much money you probably just would've gotten the SS then right? As V6 guys you gotta admit most people who get the V6 and even thinking about supercharging got it because they couldn't afford the SS at the time of purchase. So going off that assumption most are like me and have to worry about budgeting and can't have a car be a bottomless pit of cash. I personally fell like you're gonna have less problems with getting a V8.

Sorry for the long post guys just wanted to get my final option out from when I started this thread to now.
thecamaroproject246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #30
Tuner2muscle

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
@thecamaroproject246 ... you make some good points and I am at that cross road...upgrade to V8 or SC my V6...
my hesitation on trading up:
I already set up my 6 with:
springs
spacers
xpipe
borla muffler
ceramic coat
ppf front nose
minor interior upgrades

If i get the 8, I gotta do that all over again... not cheap plus the extra cost of the 8...

decisions, decisions....
Tuner2muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #31
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner2muscle View Post
@thecamaroproject246 ... you make some good points and I am at that cross road...upgrade to V8 or SC my V6...
springs
spacers
xpipe
borla muffler
ceramic coat
ppf front nose
minor interior upgrades

If i get the 8, I gotta do that all over again... not cheap plus the extra cost of the 8...

decisions, decisions....
Same boat here. Car is modded inside and out and I love it. Supercharging the V6 is just a final act of love for a car that made driving fun again.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #32
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
you won't ever recoup the costs of modifications, protection films, ceramic coats, etc. If you can't or won't appreciate your V6 for what it is then you probably should have gotten an SS in the first place. There are many, many people out there who love their V6 and drive it at the limit and don't need any more power, and love the regular gas and mpg for daily driving. If that's not you, then you should probably trade up.

Be careful what you wish for, though. I initially had an SS and later found it to be heavy, frustrating, and expensive. I could not use even close to all the power on the street and that wasn't fun. There was a voice in the back of my head saying "go test drive a 2.0T camaro". I followed my gut and I ended up trading DOWN to a turbo 4 and it's been great. I love it. Best decision ever.

The point is, don't suffer with a car you don't like. Listen to your gut. If you are sure you want the SS, then get one.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #33
Victor1995

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
2016 overkill supercharger for sale $3200

I have the supercharger kit for sale asking for $3200 (Not INCLUDING SHIPPING) bought it off from G Nacol Cornesia a while back on (Facebook) never installed it. It has everything including catch can and gauges. Only problem is that she was running stage 2 so the pulley is bigger. You will need to contact William Rishworth for pricing for the pulley to run stage 1. For stage 2 you just need bigger fuel pump and bigger fuel injectors basically stage 2 kit. Any questions message me thanks...
Victor1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #34
thecamaroproject246

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner2muscle View Post
springs
spacers
xpipe
borla muffler
ceramic coat
ppf front nose
minor interior upgrades

decisions, decisions....
It depends on the person and situation I would say. For me a lot of my mods are mostly cosmetic and can be swapped to and SS (like my 1Le spoiler and tires). I would also be down as well since I installed and mbrp axel back and K&N CAI which can't be swapped, but you can always see what you could sell on Ebay or even on the forums. I would assess what you could swap like those interior upgrades and I know some springs can be used for an SS depending on which ones you have. Selling your mods would always cost you though and you'll mostly like never be able to sell them for the price you paid for them, but at least you can gain back some money rather than just giving them away. Granted I hope you kept some of your OEM parts...
thecamaroproject246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:59 AM   #35
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamaroproject246 View Post
It depends on the person and situation I would say. For me a lot of my mods are mostly cosmetic and can be swapped to and SS (like my 1Le spoiler and tires). I would also be down as well since I installed and mbrp axel back and K&N CAI which can't be swapped, but you can always see what you could sell on Ebay or even on the forums. I would assess what you could swap like those interior upgrades and I know some springs can be used for an SS depending on which ones you have. Selling your mods would always cost you though and you'll mostly like never be able to sell them for the price you paid for them, but at least you can gain back some money rather than just giving them away. Granted I hope you kept some of your OEM parts...
I’m an example of that. I can’t seem to find my OEM intake so I have to buy another one but I’ll get some money back from my aftermarket CAI once I get my SC
dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #36
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriff14 View Post
I’m an example of that. I can’t seem to find my OEM intake so I have to buy another one but I’ll get some money back from my aftermarket CAI once I get my SC
Same here as well. Leaning heavily toward purchasing the Overkill SC as it comes with free tunes for life, a new CAI, and a Stage 2 kit. They also have a 80mm throttle body I'm considering swapping out.

However, keep us in the loop on the Edelbrock Dgriff14. That would be my other choice.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #37
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCyphyr71 View Post
Same here as well. Leaning heavily toward purchasing the Overkill SC as it comes with free tunes for life, a new CAI, and a Stage 2 kit. They also have a 80mm throttle body I'm considering swapping out.

However, keep us in the loop on the Edelbrock Dgriff14. That would be my other choice.
Yeah, the Stage 1 gains are pretty similar (with more torque on the Edelbrock kit) but it’s $1000 less. Plus, with Black Friday I was told they’re doing 15% off site wide so that’s another $600 off! Preeeetty hard to beat.

And will do. I can’t wait!
Old 11-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #38
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
it's very tempting with two years of 0% interest to pay it off instead of all up front (for the edelbrock). I just dont know when i'd be able to get any use out of it. Very few to no open roads around here where the v6 isn't already able to accelerate far in excess to all the surrounding traffic (and there's almost always surrounding traffic).
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #39
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
it's very tempting with two years of 0% interest to pay it off instead of all up front (for the edelbrock). I just dont know when i'd be able to get any use out of it. Very few to no open roads around here where the v6 isn't already able to accelerate far in excess to all the surrounding traffic (and there's almost always surrounding traffic).
I actually just pulled the trigger a couple hours ago and purchased it!!!

But yeah I feel you. I didn’t want another bill to worry about though so I just bought it up front. The other option you mentioned is super helpful, however. Shipping today by freight (free shipping and a lift gate. Whatever that is lol) and should be here in 3-5 days.

According to the dyno sheets I’ve seen the E Force SC gets a little more torque than the centrifugal SCs which I really liked.