Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
2000form

Drives: 2000 pontiac formula
Bought a Magnaflow catback system; What's needed to get from headers to the catback?

Thinking of getting Kooks or American Racing headers. Thanks
2000form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
My guess would be a custom set up... After you install the headers you'd need some short mid-pipes to extend to the Magnaflow.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #3
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000form View Post
Thinking of getting Kooks or American Racing headers. Thanks
I have Kooks, basically they are made to clamp onto the stock exhaust after the 2nd cats, which are cut off.. I believe Kooks sells 3" header extensions and IMO these should be able to be band clamped to your 3" exhaust. First you cut off the front portion of your aftermarket H pipe that adapts to the stock 1st cats. About a foot is cut from the H pipe. Your vendor should know..easy job for any muffler shop or a reasonably good eye.
https://www.kooksheaders.com/2016-ca...ion-pipes.html

Basically something like this but instead of necking down to 2 and 3/4 ID you want the same diameter or even neck up to 3" ID.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
gdgraph

Just for clarification, the Magnaflow cat back doesn't actually run all the way up to the secondary cats, it only extends a little ways past the x pipe but doesn't go all the way up to the large bends that go outward and then up to the secondary cats (I've attached some pics), so not sure who makes extensions with the bends for the Camaro or if that has to be custom made by a shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I have Kooks, basically they are made to clamp onto the stock exhaust after the 2nd cats, which are cut off.. I believe Kooks sells 3" header extensions and IMO these should be able to be band clamped to your 3" exhaust. First you cut off the front portion of your aftermarket H pipe that adapts to the stock 1st cats. About a foot is cut from the H pipe. Your vendor should know..easy job for any muffler shop or a reasonably good eye.
https://www.kooksheaders.com/2016-ca...ion-pipes.html

Basically something like this but instead of necking down to 2 and 3/4 ID you want the same diameter or even neck up to 3" ID.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
2000form

Drives: 2000 pontiac formula
Thanks for the pictures but that kind of sucks. It's hard to find a shop to do a good job on this kind of job not even considering the expense.
2000form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
that "x pipe" tho...
Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
gdgraph

For a shop to custom bend and fit up pipe between your headers and "cat-back" may actually be cheaper than trying to buy an aftermarket mid-pipe system. But if you are spending money on headers and installing all of that I could see how it would all add up quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000form View Post
Thanks for the pictures but that kind of sucks. It's hard to find a shop to do a good job on this kind of job not even considering the expense.