Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
GM files trademark for LT5, next Z28 engine?

Saw this the other day and was wondering if this could be the next Z28 powerplant or a future camaro engine? It talks about the next ZR1 but it may trickle down to the camaro. Thoughts?

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...zr1-is-coming/

Quote:
On September 19th, 2016, General Motors filed an application to register LT5 as a trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The application is assigned serial number 87175676 and specifies that the trademark will be used to name “Engines for automobiles, sport utility vehicles, trucks and vans.”

This is the second time time that General Motors has applied for the LT5 trademark, with the first time being on April 2nd, 2013.

In order to successfully register a trademark and prove to the USPTO that the name being filed is a real world product or service, a document called “Statement of Use” must be submitted to the office along with the trademark application. The applicant has up to three years to provide the office with this document.

Since the 2013 application is probably expiring, GM is showing intent on using the LT5 nomenclature for some future engine.
Name:  General-Motors-LT5-Trademark-Application-USPTO-September-2016.jpg
Views: 3692
Size:  40.8 KB

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Been a couple talks of this around here and in the Z/28 thread. Katech actually had a link on their site to mods for an LT5, then it vanished.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
LT5 was last used in the ZR1 Corvette...that would be my guess for said application, however, nothing would be stopping it from ending up in a Camaro necessarily...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The LT5 was on Katech's page along side the C8 ZR1. It will likely be a forced induction engine making more power than the LT4, so I doubt it will be a Z/28 engine.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The LT5 was on Katech's page along side the C8 ZR1. It will likely be a forced induction engine making more power than the LT4, so I doubt it will be a Z/28 engine.
What gives you the impression that it would be forced induction? The last LT5 was a OHC N/A motor. Perhaps they are going that route again? I think a lot of folks would love to see an N/A motor for the Z/28, but with the amount of HP that is driving down the road, it could be hard to build an N/A motor with enough HP and meeting CAFE and emissions standards. Can't wait to find out!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
What gives you the impression that it would be forced induction? The last LT5 was a OHC N/A motor. Perhaps they are going that route again? I think a lot of folks would love to see an N/A motor for the Z/28, but with the amount of HP that is driving down the road, it could be hard to build an N/A motor with enough HP and meeting CAFE and emissions standards. Can't wait to find out!
The gen II LT4 wasn't supercharged but the gen V LT4 is.

I believe it will be forced induction because it is going in a vehicle above the Z06, so it would need to separate itself from the Z06. The Z06 is the "ultimate track Corvette", so they can't come out with some high performance, n/a track monster Corvette that outperforms the Z06.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
fradaj

Drives: RS
Last rumor I heard the LT5 was supposed to be a turbocharged V8 for Cadillac. 560 HP.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
Last rumor I heard the LT5 was supposed to be a turbocharged V8 for Cadillac. 560 HP.
I don't think that engine is the LT5. The small DOHC twin turbo Cadillac engine is supposed to be a part of a completely new engine family -not the Gen V 'LT' series of small blocks.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #9
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
You would think GM would trade mark a bunch of LT series engines to prevent someone else doing it and charging them / suing them to use it.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I believe it will be forced induction because it is going in a vehicle above the Z06, so it would need to separate itself from the Z06. The Z06 is the "ultimate track Corvette", so they can't come out with some high performance, n/a track monster Corvette that outperforms the Z06.
Perhaps the plan for the Z/28 isn't necessarily to outperform the Z06 on the track?

Not to mention, there is a new mid-engine corvette (Zora) in the works, that will probably outperform the Z06 anyway. So perhaps the new Zora and Z/28 will share an N/A engine, the Z/28 will outperform the Z06 and the Zora will outperform both still giving the vette bragging rights. The plumbing on a mid-engine vette will be more complicated with an FI engine in order to deal with heat issues. Perhaps that is motivation to go with N/A?

This is probably wishful thinking, but hey, a guy can dream can't he???
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Perhaps the plan for the Z/28 isn't necessarily to outperform the Z06 on the track?

Not to mention, there is a new mid-engine corvette (Zora) in the works, that will probably outperform the Z06 anyway. So perhaps the new Zora and Z/28 will share an N/A engine, the Z/28 will outperform the Z06 and the Zora will outperform both still giving the vette bragging rights. The plumbing on a mid-engine vette will be more complicated with an FI engine in order to deal with heat issues. Perhaps that is motivation to go with N/A?

This is probably wishful thinking, but hey, a guy can dream can't he???
regardless of what goes into the Z/28, I don't see it outperforming the Z06. As of right now the Z06 is the top of the food chain. If its an N/A motor, it wont make more power than the LT4, the Camaro will weigh more and be less aerodynamic. IMO there would be to many things in the Z06's favor to make it faster around the track. I just cant see a Camaro with 500-550ish hp being faster around a track than a Corvette with 650 HP.

And I believe Bhobbs was taking about the mid engine zora vette needing to outperform the current Z06

Now if its got a power adder, than that changes things.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #12
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
regardless of what goes into the Z/28, I don't see it outperforming the Z06. As of right now the Z06 is the top of the food chain. If its an N/A motor, it wont make more power than the LT4, the Camaro will weigh more and be less aerodynamic. IMO there would be to many things in the Z06's favor to make it faster around the track. I just cant see a Camaro with 500-550ish hp being faster around a track than a Corvette with 650 HP.

And I believe Bhobbs was taking about the mid engine zora vette needing to outperform the current Z06

Now if its got a power adder, than that changes things.
I was referring to the Zora and whatever the big wing Corvette is we saw recently.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
My guess is the LT5 will go in the ZR-1/Zora. I believe it will be turbo charged and fit above the current LT4.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Z/28 recieved a NA version of the LT5. I think it would basically have to be DOHC to increase the horsepower over the LS7. My guess would be about 550 hp target.

There also could be potential to slip that same engine into the mid engine Corvette and have two variations. NA and Turbo(or SC). Makes some sense if they are building a new Chassis to have a lower cost variant to help foot the bill.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #14
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
My guess is the LT5 will go in the ZR-1/Zora. I believe it will be turbo charged and fit above the current LT4.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Z/28 recieved a NA version of the LT5. I think it would basically have to be DOHC to increase the horsepower over the LS7. My guess would be about 550 hp target.

There also could be potential to slip that same engine into the mid engine Corvette and have two variations. NA and Turbo(or SC). Makes some sense if they are building a new Chassis to have a lower cost variant to help foot the bill.
I personally don't think the "Zora" Needs more power to out perform the Z06. The Chassis will be better balanced and I would assume weigh less, so with all the suspension bits from the Z06 (probably improved) and Cup 2's and CC brakes it should have no problem being faster than the Z06 with only 600hp. And it would be totally possible for Chevy to get 600hp out of a larger displacement maybe higher revving version of the LT1 (aka LT5) and this motor could also be put in the Z/28 which probably would land between the GS and Z06 in terms of performance.

Just my thoughts, and hopes haha
FNxR3DNECK is offline   Reply With Quote