Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 10-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
what the Mach 1 will be a hybrid??

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/fo...an-cranston-ad

OK, I knew it would happen, I'm just not prepared...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Most likely similar to what Ram is doing on their 1500 models with a E-Torque system, it adds 90-lbs of torque through an additional electric boost motor.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Lamborghini and Porsche are also working on hybrid set ups. The Mclaren P1 and Porsche 918 are using a electric motor for the front wheels and I'm pretty sure the NSX is too. It's been going around.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
oldman

I like the idea of a hybrid power to an electric supercharger / turbo... Now that is a hybrid.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Most likely similar to what Ram is doing on their 1500 models with a E-Torque system, it adds 90-lbs of torque through an additional electric boost motor.
Not from what I’ve been seeing. Mustang Hybrid and F-150 hybrid will use the same hybridized version of the 10AT. For a 48V mild hybrid (that’s what E-Torque is) the transmission is not involved in the hybridization process. The question with Mustang Hybrid is “what engine”. Right now I’m leaning 5.0L.

FWIW - I think the Mustang Hybrid will have a really creative name like.....Mustang Hybrid. I think the Mach 1 name will be the Mustang or Mustang “CUV” Electric Vehicle. In the Bryan Cranston narrated ad, the image that everyone is reacting to is clearly an all-electric vehicle, not a hybrid. Hybrids still need grill air intakes. EVs don’t.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Lamborghini and Porsche are also working on hybrid set ups. The Mclaren P1 and Porsche 918 are using a electric motor for the front wheels and I'm pretty sure the NSX is too. It's been going around.
Yeah, McLaren is already there with the P1 and has already announced that roughly half of their volume will be hybridized. I can’t recall the year that they are projecting that to happen, though. And Porsche is already there with the Panamera S E-Hybrid. 468 hp combined system PHEV. And they have already said that the next gen 911 will have a PHEV option.

The Acura NSX is a 3-motor hybrid with a 3.5TT ICE. Total system output around 500 hp.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 11-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Little bit of fyi - So when your vehicle accelerates you use energy. When you decelerate you press the brakes and your vehicle scrubs that energy by dissapating heat into the brakes. Well what if you can capture that energy. The only way to do it is to essentially create a generator out of your axle so that it adds resistance and captures that energy. The only way to store that energy is in a battery, and the only way to use that energy is an electric motor. IMO hybrid has many applications and the systems used on the pickup truck is extremely low power. The only purpose of them is to recapture that energy lost in braking. Most of the systems on the trucks only have about 10-15hp electric motors because I mean most people are only using 40-50hp when they accelerate so it takes quite a bit of burden off the main engine. It basically only helps you in city driving because that’s where you’re going to capture the most braking energy. These systems are basically just comprised of a small motor/generator and a battery.

Then you have full on hybrids that try to essentially just use the engine as a generator.

Then you have cars like the nsx, porsche 918 spyder, and the laferrari, and mclaren p1. The purpose of those systems is quite a bit different. There sole purpose is pretty much so that the engine designers can go absolutey wild with the engine. I mean designing an engine is just a constant compromise between having low end torque and high end torque. I mean just take a simple lt1 build, how much power could you make if you had 0 concern with low end torque and driveability. You’d probably have a huge cam, huge free flowing heads, exhaust, intake, etc etc. Or if your FI you can use a huge turbo or supercharger. Having a hybrid drivetrain allows high power electric motors to pick up the low end torque that you need for driveability in the case of those cars it just lets the designers build insane engines. These hybrids also just have the added benefit of also helping out with peak hp and better fuel economy because they can recover and use that braking energy just like race cars use KERS.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
we are on the cusp of the future,should be interesting.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

FWIW, I was driving a BMW i3s electric car last weekend. Came up on a Challenger R/T that was driving like an idiot. I completely annihilated him at a light. Instant torque is no joke. Instant torque with a properly calibrated gas engine that comes in at the sweet spot of the engine’s power curve will be ridiculous.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Fyi, I test drove the p100d and model 3 performance back to back. They are still a riot to drive but not as fun as a gas powered car that is that fast.

If model 3 performance is 0-60 in 3.5, it seemed about as fun as doing 0-60 in 4 seconds in a gas car, which is still a riot.

everyone raves about the model 3 performance handling, but it’s laughable compared to a camaro. Regardless of what lap times and skidpad say, camaro feels way more planted and confident mid turn.

Model 3 is pretty much the best car money can buy for scooting around town/city and running errands. That’s where it shines and I can’t think of any car I’d rather be driving for that purpose..

P100d handling was god aweful, I don’t know why people think it’s good. Feels like an incredibly powerful toyota avalon.

Something crazy I did with the p100d. I pulled over on the shoulder of the highway to get a nice acceleration run. Well the speed limit was 65 and I see a tractor trailer coming up in my rear view in the middle lane probably going 70mph. I decided to try something. So I floored it when the tractor trailer was even with the car. I was at a complete stop, and the p100d accelerated so fast that I never saw the back bumper of the trailer.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
oldman

Even given the torque, it is hard to make up for a buku heavy battery pack, so these are heavy rides for their size.