Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Phastek Performance

Old 01-19-2021, 06:44 PM   #1
LakeMan802

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS
Does Teen Driver Mode Also Limit Acceleration Rate on SS?

Last September, I purchased a 2020 Camaro 1SS. I enabled the Teen Driver Mode for my son. I recall turning on the Speed Limiter because I remember the only option was on or off, and if on, it was preset to 85 MPH.

I recall turning on the Speed Warning and setting it to 75 MPH. And I remember setting the maximum audio volume.

But I do not remember a setting for Acceleration Limiting, and I think I've only seen this feature of Teen Driver Mode mentioned in one place, which is on this Chevrolet website page:
https://my.chevrolet.com/how-to-supp...ng/teen-driver

In case the link above does not work, on that page, it says "Some vehicles may have the “Acceleration Limiting” setting that is automatically turned ON when the Speed Limiter setting is turned ON. When Speed Limiter, Acceleration Limiting and Teen Driver are engaged, acceleration will be limited to reasonable ranges. The teen will see an “Acceleration Limited” message appear in the Driver Information Center when they start the vehicle."

Does the 2020 Camaro 1SS automatically turn on Acceleration Limiting when the Speed Limiter setting is turned on? Or is the Acceleration Limiting only used on even more powerful engines like the Camaro ZL1 and Corvette Z06?

I wish I could find out easily by myself, but it seems like every time the car is at my house (which is not often), he's gone with this Teen Driver keyfob in his pocket. I have not found a way to check the settings using my standard (adult driver) keyfob.
LakeMan802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:42 AM   #2
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
I don't care how much safety tech the car has. There's no way I'm letting a teen driver drive a car with 455HP. Just my opinion but I was a teen once... enough said.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
I don't care how much safety tech the car has. There's no way I'm letting a teen driver drive a car with 455HP. Just my opinion but I was a teen once... enough said.
Sheesh, i let my teen drive mine all the time. Even bought him a 2014 Mustang for his first car. We put on an exhaust, intake and tune. I blame parents not the child.

As for the OP, I could not find an answer either.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #4
SirJangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Sheesh, i let my teen drive mine all the time. Even bought him a 2014 Mustang for his first car. We put on an exhaust, intake and tune. I blame parents not the child.

As for the OP, I could not find an answer either.
You can place blame wherever you want to but that won't stop a teenager from being a teenager.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Can't find a way to limit the acceleration in the Infotainment Manual, but there is a report card system that tells you how many times they used WOT or close to WOT.

So yeah, they can still floor it, if they are willing to deal with your wrath and being grounded afterward when you inevitably find out about it.

And I have to agree with SirJangle there. The best idea is to give them something that's still fun enough to drive so they don't get distracted, but not enough power to do real damage. Something like a Civic Si or BRZ would be good.

I actually have a friend who got an Ecoboost Mustang as his first car, and he got so many speeding tickets with it that he lost his license twice and while he got his Novice license before me, he can only apply for a full license later this year while I have had my full license for a couple of years now, LOL. Dodged a bullet back then with my Accord Coupe V6. Still a decently powerful car for a first car but it's low key enough to not gather too much attention, which, what do you know, teenagers and young adults love.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:21 PM   #6
SirJangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Can't find a way to limit the acceleration in the Infotainment Manual, but there is a report card system that tells you how many times they used WOT or close to WOT.

So yeah, they can still floor it, if they are willing to deal with your wrath and being grounded afterward when you inevitably find out about it.

And I have to agree with SirJangle there. The best idea is to give them something that's still fun enough to drive so they don't get distracted, but not enough power to do real damage. Something like a Civic Si or BRZ would be good.

I actually have a friend who got an Ecoboost Mustang as his first car, and he got so many speeding tickets with it that he lost his license twice and while he got his Novice license before me, he can only apply for a full license later this year while I have had my full license for a couple of years now, LOL. Dodged a bullet back then with my Accord Coupe V6. Still a decently powerful car for a first car but it's low key enough to not gather too much attention, which, what do you know, teenagers and young adults love.
All I know is when I think back to some of the "stupid" stuff I did as a teenager, I wonder how I'm still here. And, my parents were great parents. But, being young and dumb is still being young and dumb.

I had Mazda RX-8 when my son got his temps. Not a very powerful car but still could get you into some trouble. He was so pissed when I traded it in on a Honda Civic sedan. When I was confident enough in his driving, I got him a used Hyundai Elantra and got myself something sporty again. He got over it and I felt better that he was "safer". He's 25 now and has his own son. I keep teasing him that I'm going to give my grandson the Camaro SS when he gets old enough. He's like, "Like hell you are!". And, the cycle goes on...
Old 01-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #7
UnknownJinX

Quote:
All I know is when I think back to some of the "stupid" stuff I did as a teenager, I wonder how I'm still here. And, my parents were great parents. But, being young and dumb is still being young and dumb.

I had Mazda RX-8 when my son got his temps. Not a very powerful car but still could get you into some trouble. He was so pissed when I traded it in on a Honda Civic sedan. When I was confident enough in his driving, I got him a used Hyundai Elantra and got myself something sporty again. He got over it and I felt better that he was "safer". He's 25 now and has his own son. I keep teasing him that I'm going to give my grandson the Camaro SS when he gets old enough. He's like, "Like hell you are!". And, the cycle goes on...
I would say the RX-8 is fine unless you have zero idea how to drive or you try to drive it with bold tires in the rain/summer tires in cold winter. The only issue I see is the fact that he might like it and drive it so much that you are gonna blow a lot of money on gas, ha. That, and make sure he knows how to add engine oil. I heard S2k can have a bit of temper due to "VTEC kicked in yo", but RX-8's power delivery is smooth and predictable enough that I wouldn't worry too much, and it just doesn't have enough torque for you to do damage.

Then again, I am not young to the point that I would want to drift in a parking lot. I got into Autocross in my RX-8 and it's a decently good car for that kind of stuff IMO. It's a good place to get your fix of thrill, make friends while not spending too much.

Sent from toaster or something

Past:
Old 01-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
SirJangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I would say the RX-8 is fine unless you have zero idea how to drive or you try to drive it with bold tires in the rain/summer tires in cold winter. The only issue I see is the fact that he might like it and drive it so much that you are gonna blow a lot of money on gas, ha. That, and make sure he knows how to add engine oil. I heard S2k can have a bit of temper due to "VTEC kicked in yo", but RX-8's power delivery is smooth and predictable enough that I wouldn't worry too much, and it just doesn't have enough torque for you to do damage.

Then again, I am not young to the point that I would want to drift in a parking lot. I got into Autocross in my RX-8 and it's a decently good car for that kind of stuff IMO. It's a good place to get your fix of thrill, make friends while not spending too much.

Yep, I was more concerned with the rear wheel drive and Northeast Ohio winters. He was just pissed because he loved the looks of it. Especially, when comparing it to the Honda Civic sedan. LOL!
Old 01-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #9
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Yep, I was more concerned with the rear wheel drive and Northeast Ohio winters. He was just pissed because he loved the looks of it. Especially, when comparing it to the Honda Civic sedan. LOL!
Oh, so you sold it because you didn't want it to rust.

Seriously, lots of older Mazda has issues with that. They rust away like nothing, and RX-8 isn't exempt. I have seen people redo rear fenders because they are rusted so badly.

Past:
Old 01-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #10
LakeMan802

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS
To UnknownJinx, thanks for your check of the Infotainment Manual and info. I also looked at that, and I also have checked the "report card" and found only 1 WOT, which I find hard to believe. So I am wondering is that because 1) there really is an Acceleration Limit feature and thus it does not show or report a WOT, or 2) maybe he really has not tried WOT.

I suspect only the Chevy engineers are going to be able to tell us if the Teen Driver mode on an SS "silently" invokes Acceleration Limiting also when the Speed Limiter is activated. If they don't reply, I guess I will have to get his Teen Driver keyfob and run some 0-60 times with his key vs. my key, but I was hoping for an easier answer from Chevy or someone on the forum that has investigated this in the past.
LakeMan802 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acceleration limiting ss teen