Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Tested the speed limiter this week.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #72
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
I was out yesterday in my everyday car with the windows down and it was killing me knowing my convertible was sitting at home while it was so nice out
It was barely warm enough for the cruise... if I didn’t have heated seats / steering wheel and windows up, it wouldn’t have been comfortable. I’ve found sunny and in high 40’s to be my absolute low limit, for top down driving.... Next week looks like there may be some days in the upper 50’s
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #73
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Tested the speed limiter this week.
What is the verts limiter set at? I know I’ve seen a post on it somewhere...

I’d like to try the same thing, but don’t know of a “safe” area to give it a shot. There is a deserted military base near me with air strips etc. I’m pretty certain access is blocked off though... that would be the perfect spot.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #74
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
It was barely warm enough for the cruise... if I didn’t have heated seats / steering wheel and windows up, it wouldn’t have been comfortable. I’ve found sunny and in high 40’s to be my absolute low limit, for top down driving.... Next week looks like there may be some days in the upper 50’s
Personal thing but I will not drive with top down and windows up unless on the highway so my heated seats and heater would have been cranked up
Old 03-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #75
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Personal thing but I will not drive with top down and windows up unless on the highway so my heated seats and heater would have been cranked up
For me, the only time my windows are ever down is during operation of the top or if I have to stop someplace with a drive-thru. With the windscreen in place, having the windows up cuts air turbulence significantly in the cabin.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #76
Chutzpah

Quote:
Yea, I’m the typically same way. But, I underestimated how windy it was, had a nylon jacket over a short sleeve shirt. It was either turn back and get another jacket, or put the windows up and crank the heat. I wasn’t turning back...
Old 03-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #77
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yea, I’m the typically same way. But, I underestimated how windy it was, had a nylon jacket over a short sleeve shirt. It was either turn back and get another jacket, or put the windows up and crank the heat. I wasn’t turning back...
The lowest temp I've driven with the top down is 40°F at 6:00AM in the morning (sun not up yet) on my commute to work. About 10-11 miles is freeway. I had my windscreen up but windows down, wearing a fleece lined zip-up hoody and heated seats on. Heater was on, but not cranked to max temp or fan speed. Usually the only time I drive with the windows up when the top is down is if I have a passenger and they request it.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #78
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
What is the verts limiter set at? I know I’ve seen a post on it somewhere...

I’d like to try the same thing, but don’t know of a “safe” area to give it a shot. There is a deserted military base near me with air strips etc. I’m pretty certain access is blocked off though... that would be the perfect spot.

You'll need a safe/private, long straight flat road to get to the limiter. While runways are likely blocked, the access/maintenance roads that surround them may not be

155 mph is the limit on convertibles. IIRC coupes don't have one (or it's sufficiently high an untuned car cannot get there).
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #79
Chutzpah

Quote:
You'll need a safe/private, long straight flat road to get to the limiter. While runways are likely blocked, the access/maintenance roads that surround them may not be

155 mph is the limit on convertibles. IIRC coupes don't have one (or it's sufficiently high an untuned car cannot get there).
I’m almost relieved to hear it’s that low. If it was higher, I know I’d give it a shot...just because .

I’m just happy it’s warming up around here. Going for a slow 30 MPH top down ride, is still therapeutic.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:52 PM   #80
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

The factory limit on the 2017 ZL1 coupe is 206 mph. It would be pretty difficult to bump into it on a stock car.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #81
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
LOL!!!

I -just- got a pop-up on on my phone this morning for photos I had taken exactly two years ago today. Those photos were of the significant snow storm that had just wrapped up, and our temps this year have been over freezing during the days for well over a week and all the snow is gone.

BUT

I agree that this winter has felt like it has been dragging on forever!
Covid, maybe? Even in the "usual" winters we would get out and about, this year, not so much.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:06 AM   #82
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Covid, maybe? Even in the "usual" winters we would get out and about, this year, not so much.
COVID for sure has had a hand in it. But, putting my new car into storage made it so much worse. With all of the delays in getting it registered (it took a solid month from when I got the car to get the plates), it felt like I barely got to drive it.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #83
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:

It's 180 for the SS coupes. A few people have been able to hit that with a stock car.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #84
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
This AM decided to make a run for some fresh bagels, before car even left garage I had the top down

Forgot how much better visibility is with the top and windows down, makes it a whole different car