Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-06-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
GrayLT1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
New to the Camaro world, and need suggestions for mods

All,

I just bought(yesterday) a 2021 Camaro LT1 A10, and I am loving the car.

I had a fully loaded/premium 2018 Mustang GT PP1 car A10 with magneride that I loved. Unfortunately I traded it in due to the tick (Since mine was so bad it sounded more like a rod was knocking). Took it to the stealership a few time and got the 'That's normal reply'.. so I had to let it go...

Anyway, I'm loving the Camaro for the 270 mile trip I drove back from the dealership. The suspension is definitely less bouncy than my mustang.. I could only imagine what mageride would fee like on this car. ...

On my mustang I installed a BMR cradle lockout and Ford Performance toe link bushing, which really helped the mustang be much better in handling and take off due to all the rubber bushings(deflection, etc.). I mean it really made a night and day difference and I cannot stress it enough to any 2015+ mustang owner.

So my reason for giving that background is I want to know what people consider must do's for the Camaro from a performance perspective (speed, and handling). I need to keep my warranty so please keep that in mind.. if something is relatively easy to remove(less than couple of hours), etc. I'm open.

From lurking on the forum for a while Here is what I gathered so far (in no specific order):
  • RotoFab Intake (probably won't do because I prefer the extra filtration of the standard filters)
  • LT2 intake (I'm really thinking about this one b/c I am understanding I won't need a tune - for warranty purposes)
  • Range Device (I will probably get this first, but my 2021 LT1 isn't officially supported; however, it seems people have had success with it for the 2020+ A10 cars anyway)
  • BMR Cradle lockout (Not sure if I want to do this or not yet, b/c the Camaro seems much better than my mustang from the start.. need to drive it more, and good lord the price is much higher for the Camaro than the Mustang)

I appreciate any and all constructive feedback.

Thanks!
GrayLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
I would recommend GMPP SG3 Lowering Kit/SC1 Sway bar kit...along with 1LE size wheels/tires. That would make a world of difference in the handling department.

I didn’t notice any SOTP gains with the rotofab or ported throttle body to be honest... the throttle controller is definitely fun and cheap! (Solar Eng).
Old 01-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #3
GrayLT1

Thanks for the information!
Old 01-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
Callaway SC630

Drives: 2020 Callaway Camaro SC630
Splash guards.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
to the forums and the Camaro

I would do what my signature says, didn't regret any of those mods, my car drives awesome. BMR has a rear cradle lockout kit for our cars, too, and it does help, but the extent is more incremental than transformative. I have 1LE spec wheels and tires, they made a tangible difference in cornering capability.

Rock guards are a must, especially if you decide to go wider on tires, otherwise you'll find yourself having to embrace those cute white paint chips all over your rockers. Some of those sucker can even get kicked up to the quarter panel. I would consider side skirts, too, for the same reason.

Any plans of interior mods, or do you only care about power and handling?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:43 PM   #6
GrayLT1

Hey thanks for the feedback.

@arpad_m: Yeah I think I would definitely love to have your mods.. a little out of my prices range at the moment.. family poor ...I'm mainly into speed and handling, but it would be nice to get a built in garage door opener (not sure if there is a visor with homelink option out there).

I definitely would like to get some wider tires.. especially on the back.. I'm hoping I can score(relatively cheap) an SS version rear wheel that matches my current wheels (split 5 spoke). I honestly have to cool it a little.. I ordered the Range device today and the wife is starting to give me looks... she knows I have the car disease .

@Callaway/arpad_m: I will definitely have to check out the rock/splash guards.. Any suggestions on brand/type?.. I haven't looked at these at all yet.

I appreciate the input and look forward to living vicariously through you guys with the more extreme builds...
Old 01-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #7
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayLT1 View Post
All,

I just bought(yesterday) a 2021 Camaro LT1 A10, and I am loving the car.

I had a fully loaded/premium 2018 Mustang GT PP1 car A10 with magneride that I loved. Unfortunately I traded it in due to the tick (Since mine was so bad it sounded more like a rod was knocking). Took it to the stealership a few time and got the 'That's normal reply'.. so I had to let it go...

Anyway, I'm loving the Camaro for the 270 mile trip I drove back from the dealership. The suspension is definitely less bouncy than my mustang.. I could only imagine what mageride would fee like on this car. ...

On my mustang I installed a BMR cradle lockout and Ford Performance toe link bushing, which really helped the mustang be much better in handling and take off due to all the rubber bushings(deflection, etc.). I mean it really made a night and day difference and I cannot stress it enough to any 2015+ mustang owner.

So my reason for giving that background is I want to know what people consider must do's for the Camaro from a performance perspective (speed, and handling). I need to keep my warranty so please keep that in mind.. if something is relatively easy to remove(less than couple of hours), etc. I'm open.

From lurking on the forum for a while Here is what I gathered so far (in no specific order):
  • RotoFab Intake (probably won't do because I prefer the extra filtration of the standard filters)
  • LT2 intake (I'm really thinking about this one b/c I am understanding I won't need a tune - for warranty purposes)
  • Range Device (I will probably get this first, but my 2021 LT1 isn't officially supported; however, it seems people have had success with it for the 2020+ A10 cars anyway)
  • BMR Cradle lockout (Not sure if I want to do this or not yet, b/c the Camaro seems much better than my mustang from the start.. need to drive it more, and good lord the price is much higher for the Camaro than the Mustang)

I appreciate any and all constructive feedback.

Thanks!
If you put on an LT2 intake, tune or not, your warranty is gone...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:58 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Hey thanks for the feedback.

@arpad_m: Yeah I think I would definitely love to have your mods.. a little out of my prices range at the moment.. family poor ...I'm mainly into speed and handling, but it would be nice to get a built in garage door opener (not sure if there is a visor with homelink option out there).

I definitely would like to get some wider tires.. especially on the back.. I'm hoping I can score(relatively cheap) an SS version rear wheel that matches my current wheels (split 5 spoke). I honestly have to cool it a little.. I ordered the Range device today and the wife is starting to give me looks... she knows I have the car disease .

@Callaway/arpad_m: I will definitely have to check out the rock/splash guards.. Any suggestions on brand/type?.. I haven't looked at these at all yet.

I appreciate the input and look forward to living vicariously through you guys with the more extreme builds...
Haha, you'll need to stop coming to the forums if you want to protect your wallet As you will soon find out, my build is one of the most humble in this neck of the woods.

Here's a visor or headliner mountable homelink remote: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A79G9FY

I have these simple black mudflap style guards that work fairly well (a company called ZL1 Addons also sells a similar product): https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item...ards---stealth. If you want the Rolls-Royce of rock guards, ACS Composite is at your service: https://acscomposite.com/collections...chip-guards-19

There are always people who sell factory SS wheels in the tire & wheel section.

The way I handled the, hm, budget impact is I sat down with wifey and came to a mutual understanding that included a time horizon and some of her little dream items as well. She wants me to be happy in our marriage, and vice versa. I'd suggest that you steer clear of warranty impacting items for a while, give the car some time, most engine and drivetrain failures surface during the first couple hundred or thousand miles.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #9
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Must dos? Nothing. My car is fast, handles great, and sounds awesome.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:44 PM   #10
GrayLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
If you put on an LT2 intake, tune or not, your warranty is gone...
I would put the LT1 back on the car before taking it to the dealership. I don't believe they could tell from looking at the PCM, etc..

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2021, 11:49 PM   #11
GrayLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Haha, you'll need to stop coming to the forums if you want to protect your wallet As you will soon find out, my build is one of the most humble in this neck of the woods.

Here's a visor or headliner mountable homelink remote: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A79G9FY

I have these simple black mudflap style guards that work fairly well (a company called ZL1 Addons also sells a similar product): https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item...ards---stealth. If you want the Rolls-Royce of rock guards, ACS Composite is at your service: https://acscomposite.com/collections...chip-guards-19

There are always people who sell factory SS wheels in the tire & wheel section.

The way I handled the, hm, budget impact is I sat down with wifey and came to a mutual understanding that included a time horizon and some of her little dream items as well. She wants me to be happy in our marriage, and vice versa. I'd suggest that you steer clear of warranty impacting items for a while, give the car some time, most engine and drivetrain failures surface during the first couple hundred or thousand miles.
Awesome, thanks for the info.. give me things to think about .

Yeah I definitely was planning on keeping it fairly stock for a while to make sure the car doesn't have any issues. It was built on 11/20 so not supposed to have the valve spring issue (but ya never know.)

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:55 PM   #12
GrayLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Must dos? Nothing. My car is fast, handles great, and sounds awesome.

I definitely agree. This car is quite fun... I'm just the type that wants to tweak things to be a little bit better than factory.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:41 AM   #13
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
I definitely agree. This car is quite fun... I'm just the type that wants to tweak things to be a little bit better than factory.
Been there done that. Usually that results in
1-Harsher ride, strange noises
2-No gains in performance
3-wallet drain.

Modding to me is for guys trying to get their Civics up to 210hp.
Exact reason I bought my SS. Beast out of the box. Needs nothing (although I needed an exhaust as non-NPP was a joke). Now I watch my $$$ grow.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:36 AM   #14
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if it doest require a tune its not worth it. dont bother. if you want to keep warranty dont mess with the engine. if you want to mod do wheels, tires more for cosmetic then performance.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote