Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #1
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Rear view camera in the mirror

So I have had several camaros over the recent years. On my 2020, it has the rear view camera in the mirror. This seems kinda hoky. Not sure I see a lot of real use for this feature. Definitely would have traded it for the homelink GDO.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
So I have had several camaros over the recent years. On my 2020, it has the rear view camera in the mirror. This seems kinda hoky. Not sure I see a lot of real use for this feature. Definitely would have traded it for the homelink GDO.
I think the read view camera/mirror is fantastic in the 2020 2SS, if you adjust your side mirrors correctly you can COMPLETELY eliminate any blind spots...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
I like it... It has a wider field of view and offers fantastic visibility when needed. It also has great quality at night to boot. As mentioned above, your blind spot goes completely bye bye. Using it with the rear view camera gives you even better visibility when backing up.

I switch between the video display and the mirror itself depending. But I really think it is a very well done system. No real negative IMO.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Yeah I didn’t think the rear view camera would be anything special when I bought the car but I love it now. Full view of the rear without pillars.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #5
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I like it for those few times I have the top up.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #6
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
+1 for me too.

Much wider field of view behind the car (both lanes left and right). Should really help on the track when needing to be mindful of the (relatively few ) cars that are faster than the 1LE.

One quick question: Was driving for the first time at night and the rearview cam image seemed to be blurry (halos around headlights). This despite the image being quite clear during the day. Is this normal or might it be due to my progressive lens glasses?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #7
COKen

Drives: '21 Camao SS, BMW 435i, M Roadster
I have not noticed any blurriness at night. I really like the fact that the camera picks up more light so the picture is much brighter than the mirror would be.
COKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
+1 for me too.

Much wider field of view behind the car (both lanes left and right). Should really help on the track when needing to be mindful of the (relatively few ) cars that are faster than the 1LE.

One quick question: Was driving for the first time at night and the rearview cam image seemed to be blurry (halos around headlights). This despite the image being quite clear during the day. Is this normal or might it be due to my progressive lens glasses?
Maybe your camera lens is dirty...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:42 PM   #9
clyde

Drives: broken
I think I would have liked it a lot more before my eyes start to age. When you need reading glasses at eye-to-mirror distance and your eyes don't refocus from whatever you're looking at through the windshield to the mirror at the speed you'd like, it loses some utility.

At night, I really like that it dims the brightest headlights behind you far better and quicker than the auto-dimming mirror part does.

Best is that it is in addition to the auto-dimming mirror rather instead of it.
clyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #10
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post

Not sure about the halos specifically, could just be a dirty lens, but cameras lose detail and show more digital 'noise' when in low light settings, due to the digital 'gain', or what was basically your ISO back in the film days. Higher ISO offer better low light capability at the expense of detail and clarity. You can't get around this. Same goes with any cell phone or any even high end SLR's and such. It's just physics.

But I will say the Camaro is far better than I expected in low light. However, the 'screen' or 'image' is tiny compared to say a big computer screen, large print or TV for example where you will see more of the flaws. So it's not exactly the most demanding
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:14 AM   #11
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I like it for those few times I have the top up.
To say it another way, it's completely useless in a 'vert with the top down (the glare is horrendous and makes it show nothing).

I would much rather have the GDO, and I feel this was a way for Chevy to try and placate the complainers (in regards to rear view). For them to ONLY put it on the higher trims offsets that if that was their intent.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #12
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Get use to it, The Federal regulation for left and right outside mirrors was dropped as a request of the OEMS who testified the rearview camera option was better and they can get better numbers of fuel economy from not having mirrors on cars.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #13
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Get use to it, The Federal regulation for left and right outside mirrors was dropped as a request of the OEMS who testified the rearview camera option was better and they can get better numbers of fuel economy from not having mirrors on cars.
There is no federal requirement for a passenger side mirror on passenger cars/trucks. The right-side mirror requirement is for buses, semi's, etc.

I'd be interested in reading any legit info you have on the subject of the requirement being 'dropped', however... Please provide links.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #14
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Mirror laws are actually regulated by each individual state, there is no federal mandate. Some states require two, some require just the driver's side. For cohesive compliance and streamlined production practices, all car companies make every car for North American market with standard side mirrors on both sides. But no, it's not a federal or industry requirement.

For any kind of camera replacement of the side view mirrors, manufacturers and the entire global automotive industry would have to work with each individual state to overturn each of their individual laws so a vehicle can be present on public roads without the required side view mirror(s) attached.

I doubt there will ever be a deviation from the current standard of regular reflective mirrors mounted on the doors. Cameras can break, the display can break, anything electronic can break. A mirror is always on and will never break unless it's physically damaged. At which time LEOs can physically see you're missing your mirror or that it's damaged. An electronic camera would not be seen from the outside very well if at all.

Our rear view camera mirrors can be switched off to a standard reflective mirror for that reason.

Last edited by Petrol Head; 12-16-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote