Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #15
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
So basically you paid $7k extra over an SS for the vinyl wrapped hood, wheels, and suede steering wheel and shift knob? Interesting.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:18 AM   #16
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
Or, you know, he could have a second set of wheels for track duty.......
why waste <200 treadwear tires on traffic, when it could be saved for the track use.

I run all seasons on a second set of wheels because I DD in the northwest rain and occasional flurry (with bouts of sun in the summer). Every other post on the wheels forum is someone saying get a second set of wheels for the winter months and only drive on winter tires when it’s below 50. If you don’t expect a bunch of snow, then all seasons are perfectly reasonable and will last you way more than the 8-10k miles(if that) than the stockers would.

Sounds like a decent deal OP. I chose to buy a second set of wheels in a square set up so normal tire rotations could be done on a longer terms set of tires. but if you’re set on staying on the stock wheels, it’s sounds like a great deal, provided the clearance isn’t an issue.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #17
GAOLDGUY

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
Or, you know, he could have a second set of wheels for track duty.......
why waste <200 treadwear tires on traffic, when it could be saved for the track use.

I run all seasons on a second set of wheels because I DD in the northwest rain and occasional flurry (with bouts of sun in the summer). Every other post on the wheels forum is someone saying get a second set of wheels for the winter months and only drive on winter tires when it’s below 50. If you don’t expect a bunch of snow, then all seasons are perfectly reasonable and will last you way more than the 8-10k miles(if that) than the stockers would.

Sounds like a decent deal OP. I chose to buy a second set of wheels in a square set up so normal tire rotations could be done on a longer terms set of tires. but if you’re set on staying on the stock wheels, it’s sounds like a great deal, provided the clearance isn’t an issue.
Thanks for the response! Actually if you've never lived in the Atlanta area, it's hard to appreciate how wacky our weather can be. I just purchased the car and I only have about 270 miles on it and I want to DD drive so I'm looking at all options while considering driving conditions in this area over the past 12 months. Usually, the weather is fantastic but very infrequently we will have some ice and snow. I'm thinking about one day last winter when I drove 42 miles to the ATL airport with ice and snow. In less than a week you might see a beautiful day. As for my logic, I really like these wheels and MMRs that match are not necessarily out of the question. I have also considered changing sizes with aftermarket wheels or purchasing factory take offs. I think I only need it for about 10 or 12 weeks. I just want to get set for winter ASAP while I get the car settled in and I really do like the S3s but according to the High Performance supplement, they shouldn't be driven under conditions less than 40 degrees and I think it indicated they should not be stored if it's less than 20 degrees. I actually started the thread to determine if 295/30/20 would fit on the front and I want to thank all of those that have contributed to the answer, especially, MARKC, who has provided a great deal of information not posted on the forum. As for the negative posters, no resentment but if you could contribute to the answer of the question, it would be much appreciated. Again, thanks for your response.
GAOLDGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #18
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAOLDGUY View Post
I finally found an all season tire that I think I can run on our wheels during the winter in Atlanta. Bridgestone has Potenza RE980AS in the following sizes; 285/35/20, 295/30/20, and 305/30/20. I was thinking of using the 295/30/20 on the front. It's only 10mm larger. Can anyone provide feedback on fit? I can't imagine that 5mm each way would make a difference but I thought I would post to be sure. I think I have seen others running 285/35/20 on the front so the height should be fine. Bridgestone does not have rim width recommendations on their website for this size yet. I assume 295/30/20 is good on a 10 inch rim. Anyone have any feedback on that?

Thanks for posting this.
I've been waiting for someone to finally start making a 305/30/20 all season.

I plan on using the stock wheels and tires for seven or eight months and all seasons for the other four or five months. Don't plan on any snow so the all seasons will work better and last longer. I want to keep the 285-305 look and size compatibility.

I didn't spend an extra $7k on a 1LE for it to sit in a garage for nearly half the year.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #19
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Thanks for the response! Actually if you've never lived in the Atlanta area, it's hard to appreciate how wacky our weather can be. I just purchased the car and I only have about 270 miles on it and I want to DD drive so I'm looking at all options while considering driving conditions in this area over the past 12 months. Usually, the weather is fantastic but very infrequently we will have some ice and snow. I'm thinking about one day last winter when I drove 42 miles to the ATL airport with ice and snow.
Having lived in the mountains several times before, and now in Alaska, I'd take those odds. I also know that places like Atlanta and Dallas completely shut down when stuff like that happens, as they have no equipment to remove ice/snow from the roads. Use the forecast.

That said, it's always a good idea to get a 2nd set of tires and rims and running an AS for a few winter months isn't a bad idea, but forgoing the summer tires during the other months makes you miss out on some significant performance.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #20
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
I was looking at the same tires in that front size OP, I came here to search and up pops this thread. According to this, the difference is minimal and I can't imagine there would be a problem. https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:37 PM   #21
GAOLDGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
I was looking at the same tires in that front size OP, I came here to search and up pops this thread. According to this, the difference is minimal and I can't imagine there would be a problem. https://tiresize.com/comparison/
I believe you are correct. I've researhed this to death and don't want to make an expensive mistake. The way I see it, you are only moving 5mm closer to the components on the inside of the wheel well and that is the most likely contact point. I think I have seen a picture where it is really close to a component but I can't imagine that Chevy wouldn't give you 5mm to play with. The members of the forum have been extremely helpfull (except for the ones making assumptions about how I plan to use my car rather than contributing to answering the question). I've also spoken with Tirerack and Bridgestone. I think this is the closest match in all seasons that I can find for our cars. I thought a little bit about the "poke" but it's only 5mm more on that side a well so I should be able to live with that. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:37 AM   #22
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Thanks for posting this.

I didn't spend an extra $7k on a 1LE for it to sit in a garage for nearly half the year.
You didn't get the memo? Other people are suppose to dictate how our money is spent.
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:43 AM   #23
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
One of our forum pals showed us he had on the stock 1LE wheels a 275/35/20 and 285/35/20 with the Comp2 A/S so that's what I'll be using. I ran that tire on my Mustang in the colder months and know its a great tire for the season.

Last edited by VinnAY; 10-15-2018 at 06:55 AM.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #24
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Might be trying those Bridgestones myself. Would anyone in the midwest be interested in my stock Goodyears with 1600 miles on them for cheap if I make the swap?
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #25
GAOLDGUY

Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman View Post
Might be trying those Bridgestones myself. Would anyone in the midwest be interested in my stock Goodyears with 1600 miles on them for cheap if I make the swap?
I've only had this car 3 weeks but I hope the first person to get these Bridgestones will let us know. I just spoke with a Firestone store and he indicated that they would mount them and then look at clearances. With the 285s, I can barely get my middle finger between the tire and the strut assembly but I only need less that 1/5 inch (5mm) so I feel pretty good about this.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #26
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman View Post
Yes, if you're willing to ship.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #27
Warrior102

Quote:
I've only had this car 3 weeks but I hope the first person to get these Bridgestones will let us know. I just spoke with a Firestone store and he indicated that they would mount them and then look at clearances. With the 285s, I can barely get my middle finger between the tire and the strut assembly but I only need less that 1/5 inch (5mm) so I feel pretty good about this.
Well jump on the grenade GAOLDGUY I went to the local big box tire store and they told me to pound sand due to liability issues. There isn't much daylight between those two tires size wise, I can't imagine a problem, worst case a 4mm spacer.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #28
Warrior102

The Tire Rack has the RE980AS on backorder and no one has them available (305/30-20). I ran across these in my travels, exact size, the reviews are great, all-season and 186mph rated. The price is unbelievable and if they get me through until the snow flies I'm OK with it. Ordered a front and rear set from Amazon, I'll report back when I mount them up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SSZ8EERC&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1