Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
So, help me with a ticket....

Well here's the story, I was a good 1/4 mile ahead of the officer, I knew this guy was following me and I wanted to make sure so I turned off the main street and pulled into a neighborhood. I drove down the neighborhood I was about half way down it and I was him turn in and he put his lights on. So I was 1/2 of the neighborhood in front of the guy I'd say it's 1500ft long neighborhood. Pulled me over said I was criminally speeding but he won't cite me for that only civilian speeding... He never clocked me, never radared me. Only assumed I was going 40mph + Which I wasn't. It's very difficult to get 40mph in a neighborhood. I was going 29. Speed limit in there was 25 so I was going 4 over. On the ticket he says The speed limit was 25mph, he says my speed was 40+. <-- Indicating he guessed a speed and put the number down and thought if it was over 40 i'll just put a plus sign behind it. So he really had no clue what my speed was.... What you guys think I should do? Pay it, Traffic School, or Fight it...? Help me out.
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Call one of those traffic lawyers and have them plead it down. It'll cost you a few extra bucks but it won't be on your record. From your story of pulling off on a side street I would guess you were speeding prior to that and that's what he was citing you for. Otherwise, why pull in to a neighborhood that's not yours? Pleading down the ticket and paying your fine is your best bet.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
I thought they had to show your speed or at least a reader calibration cert.that's what I've heard
Almost have to go to court and tell your side and see or insurance may jump if you can't get it reduced at least.
Good luck
wayne watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
jvoisel

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Sure you weren't speeding? Sounds like you already knew you were in the wrong.

Good luck with it either way.
jvoisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Knockoutpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
Call one of those traffic lawyers and have them plead it down. It'll cost you a few extra bucks but it won't be on your record. From your story of pulling off on a side street I would guess you were speeding prior to that and that's what he was citing you for. Otherwise, why pull in to a neighborhood that's not yours? Pleading down the ticket and paying your fine is your best bet.
Originally I was obeying the speed limit, until I wanted to pass a driver so I sped up just a tad to get in front of them, then he started to follow me.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
police have to be able to judge speed. I learned that when i went to radar school. i could guess within 2 mph

anyway, fight the ticket to get it reduced.
batman53201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
sangerbanger58

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT/RS
Man thats nothing lol I had a cop pull my over and guess on everything on the ticket. Speed limit, my speed, he even said he guessed. Yeah I would fight it in court.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Knockoutpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
Originally I was obeying the speed limit, until I wanted to pass a driver so I sped up just a tad to get in front of them, then he started to follow me.
Plus I was the officer skip around 2 cars so I had a good assumption he was following me
Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Sorta like the being kinda pregnant argument..............its all or nothing. You know your guilty or was as soon as you passed the other car......pay the fine or volunteer for traffic school, then make wiser choices. Good Luck..

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 10-11-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:

lol, that would be speeding. if you don't want the hassle or expense of court and lawyers, and it won't drive your insurance up then just pay it. if your young and it will hurt your insurance, then then go to court and ask for driving school and or community service in exchange for voiding the ticket. cause when the judge sees young + fast sports car vs. respected, experienced cop your chances of winning are going to be pretty slim. it's not necessarily fair, but that's how it works.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Knockoutpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
lol, that would be speeding. if you don't want the hassle or expense of court and lawyers, and it won't drive your insurance up then just pay it. if your young and it will hurt your insurance, then then go to court and ask for driving school and or community service in exchange for voiding the ticket. cause when the judge sees young + fast sports car vs. respected, experienced cop your chances of winning are going to be pretty slim. it's not necessarily fair, but that's how it works.
Well, if you think about it. The HOV lane, and the Left lane are the "fast lanes" so even though by state it says slower vehicles move right, that means the left lane is the speeding lane right? And speedings illegal...
Old 10-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
wocampb

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE BRM, '12 Cruze LT 6M
Officers in Arizona are sight certified for speed so they do not need to show you radar. My suggestion, take traffic school online and it does not go on your record.
wocampb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Cops can cite based on a visual estimation. Cop will have to lay foundation in court as to what his training and expertise is. (see expert witness)
But since you admitted to 4 over, pay the fine, go to traffic school and call it good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_witness

Last edited by upflying; 10-11-2013 at 08:29 PM.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne watson View Post
I thought they had to show your speed or at least a reader calibration cert.that's what I've heard
You heard wrong. Cop does not have to show you anything except where to sign.
In court, LEO has to produce calibration records if you "subpoena duces tacum" it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpoena_duces_tecum

Last edited by upflying; 10-11-2013 at 08:26 PM.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote