Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr40oz View Post
A super sport class 600 like a GSXR 600 or r6 even has nothing in common with a 250. I would hope you have some experience riding. Guys hear "ohhh it's just a 6, my girlfriend rides those" and get one not knowing it has an 80mph 1st gear. The power is almost the same up to 140 and it it's a very light bike, under 400lbs, so it gives a false sense of security.

I really wouldn't but a traction controlled Camaro in the same class as a motorcycle. With all due respect sir it kinda makes you sound like a sissy. A SS class bike is a under 10 second machine out if the dealership.

Cars are slow.
LOL O.K. guy. Whatever you say. Without traction control, my car can easily overtake my skill to handle it, especially on small surface streets. I know my limits. I don't think that makes me a *****. That makes me prudent, and I don't feel like destroying the $40K I have in it.

Yes, I owned an SV650S, now I own a chopper and a VTX1800. I learned on an 82 Yamaha Seca. I didn't say 600s or 650s were slow. I said they COULD be as slow as a 250 or 300 if you show some self restraint. You can ease yourself into the power, as opposed to deciding "I'm ready" and figuring out how unready you are.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Dr40oz

Drives: 2014 Rubicon X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
LOL O.K. guy. Whatever you say. Without traction control, my car can easily overtake my skill to handle it, especially on small surface streets. I know my limits. I don't think that makes me a *****. That makes me prudent, and I don't feel like destroying the $40K I have in it.

Yes, I owned an SV650S, now I own a chopper and a VTX1800. I learned on an 82 Yamaha Seca. I didn't say 600s or 650s were slow. I said they COULD be as slow as a 250 or 300 if you show some self restraint. You can ease yourself into the power, as opposed to deciding "I'm ready" and figuring out how unready you are.
Just giving shit Sir. I didn't know that's what you rode Coming from only gixxer 600s,1000s and my current R1, it's a little different beast than a SV or cruisers.

SV650's are great beginner bikes with their less aggressive seating position and power delivery. Cheers
Dr40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
Quote:
Just giving shit Sir. I didn't know that's what you rode Coming from only gixxer 600s,1000s and my current R1, it's a little different beast than a SV or cruisers.

SV650's are great beginner bikes with their less aggressive seating position and power delivery. Cheers
I love R1s. If I bought a sport bike, it would probably be an R1, but give me a comfy seat and upright riding position any day. :P

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6
My brother bought a used SV650 to get started, and he loved it! Only cost about 3 grand, looked great, and was an all around great starter bike. I believe it was a 2004. When he was ready to upgrade, he sold it for just about the same price he bought it for, and bough a GSXR 700 with a wicked cam in it. Have fun out there and good luck with your decision!
Old 12-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Ducati Monster you will never regret
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
if you can find you a nice used 250cc and move up when you feel comfortable to the new bike in whatever engine size you feel you will be comfortable with once you have a little experience. the reason I say used is if you tear it up your not out as much learning on a new one.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #21
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3071 View Post

Why are you wanting to kill him - he is just learning to ride it seems.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Always a great and passionate discussion.

First you have to understand how frighteningly fast a modern 600cc sport bike is. Even if you buy a used one 5 plus years old it can be wayyyyyy more than you are capable of for a long time.

The risk of starting out smaller is simply that you will out grow it quickly.

If you have a lot of discipline with your right wrist and can be patient with your learning curve go bigger. If you don't think you can do that start smaller.

Regardless, I suggest a race track based training class. I took one taught by Reg Pridmore years ago at Gratten Raceway (CLASS it was called) Took it with my BMW K75 (a tank) and again on my Kawasaki 600 ( a baby rocket by comparison). Well worth the time and $$$ to understand your bike and your limits.

Either way be safe, never drink and ride and regardless of your state laws ALWAYS wear a helmet, gloves, boots and jeans.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
Jchuba03

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3071 View Post
Haha I highly doubt that bike would be a good choice. That's like saying I want to learn to drive a stick, I think I'll go buy a new c7 corvette.
Jchuba03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #24
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
I have been riding for 35+years. One common factor I saw over time was people who started out with more power or bike capability would tend to leave riding sooner.

On the street speed is a major factor to trouble. Riding is honing your skills and it is actually more enjoyable to ride a slow bike to its limit than to ride a fast bike at 30%.

I have chased Ducati riders through windy roads on a touring bike and stayed with them, creating some frustrated Ducati riders.

Back to the bike choice, look at European models for motorcycle licenses. They require progression up through the different sizes over time.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #25
Kadet1

Drives: Camaro SIM
I think if you felt comfortable riding in the the class and you really want a sport bike I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 750 or you will want to get rid of it after a few weeks you will be bored. My neighbor bought a ninja 650r the beginning of summer and is ready for a 1000 now. I ride a 1900 cruiser and have rode many different bikes if you know the basics you can ride anything. Get what you like and you will grow into it quickly don't waste your time with the smaller size. Respect the bike and be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. Good luck
Kadet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #26
Slapshot

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
A super sport class 600 like a GSXR 600 or r6 even has nothing in common with a 250. I would hope you have some experience riding. Guys hear "ohhh it's just a 6, my girlfriend rides those" and get one not knowing it has an 80mph 1st gear. The power is almost the same up to 140 and it it's a very light bike, under 400lbs, so it gives a false sense of security.

I really wouldn't put a traction controlled Camaro in the same class as a motorcycle. With all due respect sir it kinda makes you sound like a sissy. A SS class bike is a under 10 second machine out if the dealership.

Cars are slow.
IMO the power of a 6 isn't anywhere near a 1000. Night and day difference. The bottom line is you have to have some self control. If you do, get a 600 supersport. Great bikes, as long as you respect it's capabilities being far greater than yours. I can promise you, no one on this or almost any other site is capable of riding a 600 to its potential. That being said, this is America and you can do whatever the hell you want. 1000s are a blast sliding through corners on the gas. =)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #27
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
I've been riding for 35 years, crashed a few times, but never been hurt. Currently ride a '12 Ninja ZX-14R. You said you want a sportbike (not cruiser), but it would help if we knew more about how you plan to use your new motorcycle and your budget. Do you just plan to ride it around town, to and from work? Do you plan to mount luggage and take a 400 mile day trip or longer? Is it just for you or do you plan to have a passenger? How much wind protection do you want? Can you physically stand to be hunched over a tank and support most of your weight on your wrists/hands?

Japanese brand motorcycles offer good value and tend to be easier to operate - good handling, good brakes, reliable, etc. A lot of riders of my generation will tell you they started out on dirt bikes! Two things are for sure: you will outgrow your first motorcycle after a year or so and any bike over 600cc can build speed so fast you'll easily get in trouble...either speeding tickets or crashing the bike. Personally, I feel a 250-300cc bike is just too small, too light, too slow to be used day in and day out.

Lastly, as sexy and appealing as a hard core sportbike may be, I recommend you choose a motorcycle with an upright seating position to start with. You're going to be learning the basics of balance, manuvering, starting and stopping, counter steering and avoiding becoming a hood ornament. I think it's way easier to learn good habits on a "standard" or "naked" bike than a "sportbike." Insurance for a motorcycle varies greatly by model and rider age, but expect to pay 1/3 as much as you're paying for your auto insurance.

Good luck, motorcycling is a very rewarding hobby that many of us enjoy more than driving a car - if you can imagine that!
thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #28
IMPERIALBLUE2SS

Drives: 2010 imperial blue LS3 M6 2SSRS
A 600cc inline4 is NOT a starter bike. I've been riding 25 yrs cruisers zuk M109r, kaw 1500cc meanstreaks, even gl1800 gold wings. My current stable is an 08 Kawasaki ZX14, and an 09 Yamaha R6. Everyone thinks the R6 would be easier to ride, it couldn't be farther from the truth. ZX14 is like a big comfy cruiser of a hyper bike sure it'll rip your arms out if you twist the throttle but barely twist it and it's just as docile as they come. R6 on the other hand power band is between 12k to 16.5k and it becomes a shrieking wheelieing monster between your knees. Not something you want to learn on very unforgiving and will bite you hard when you not expecting it. On the track is where it shines, I spent many weekends hustling it around mid Atlantic road courses VIR being my favorite! Sv 650, or a Suzuki gladius 650 would be my choices. Extremely forgiving powerband, comfortable riding position, cheap insurance. Plentiful, cheap parts. Hope this helps....
IMPERIALBLUE2SS is offline   Reply With Quote