Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #43
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Creating a comprehensive tune for a new configuration is a time intensive task. A full tune takes many many hours and most of it is not done on a dyno unless you have a load dyno at your disposal. The hard part is part throttle and the majority of shops don’t spend too much time on it (or at all) for various reasons.

Our remote tune for full bolt ons has many many hours into it. Most of that was street time dialing in the hard stuff. There are shops that understand this. There are shops that don’t and deliver a mediocre calibration.

I’m about to start a full calibration for a 17 ZL1 with headers, pulley, and E85 (with our upcoming ZL1 FF kit). Fortunately it is locally to me but I will spend at least a full day just dialing in VVE and VTQ before I ever get to WOT. I will also be using the Plex Knock Monitor to ensure the timing map is not going beyond safe limits for the combination.

Tim
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:00 AM   #44
FATTEMUNK

Drives: 600whp 2016 C63 AMG/ 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
Creating a comprehensive tune for a new configuration is a time intensive task. A full tune takes many many hours and most of it is not done on a dyno unless you have a load dyno at your disposal. The hard part is part throttle and the majority of shops don’t spend too much time on it (or at all) for various reasons.

Our remote tune for full bolt ons has many many hours into it. Most of that was street time dialing in the hard stuff. There are shops that understand this. There are shops that don’t and deliver a mediocre calibration.

I’m about to start a full calibration for a 17 ZL1 with headers, pulley, and E85 (with our upcoming ZL1 FF kit). Fortunately it is locally to me but I will spend at least a full day just dialing in VVE and VTQ before I ever get to WOT. I will also be using the Plex Knock Monitor to ensure the timing map is not going beyond safe limits for the combination.

Tim
Hmm, thanks for the info, Tim! I have done alot of reading and people have you used you to tune their cars seemed to have always been really happy. When I am ready to tune my car with bolt ons and FF, I'll be sure to give you a call!
FATTEMUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #45
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Are you concerned about acidic damage to the non-E85 components?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #46
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
This platform is hardened for E85. You will have no issue running it full time. If you are storing the car for the winter I would run the E85 down and put in E0-E10 just to avoid moisture absorption.
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #47
the highlander

Drives: C5 Z06 LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
Just to clarify some info on ethanol vs e85 vs gasoline...

Pure ethanol has about 30% less energy content per gallon than pure gasoline. Gasoline today (99+%) already has 10% ethanol in it. So E85 (if it's truly 85%, most likely it's somewhat less) would have 75% higher ethanol content than gasoline. 75% x 30% = 22.5% lower energy content for E85 vs gasoline.

Have you checked the actual ethanol content? Theoretically E64 would give you approx 84% of gasoline's MPG (what you're seeing). Knowing your actual ethanol content would be nice to see where you are vs theoretical.
But the stoichiometry makes it so that a lot more fuel goes in and thus makes more power/heat (btu) for the same amount of air coming in.
the highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #48
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by the highlander View Post
But the stoichiometry makes it so that a lot more fuel goes in and thus makes more power/heat (btu) for the same amount of air coming in.
um don't think so. more alky is needed because it has less btu per weight. It burns at a different stoi, in actually because energy is loss changing liquid to vapor, the alky will yield slightly less power when burned with the equivalent amount of air in a piston engine, all other parameters held constant.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #49
the highlander

Drives: C5 Z06 LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
um don't think so. more alky is needed because it has less btu per weight. It burns at a different stoi, in actually because energy is loss changing liquid to vapor, the alky will yield slightly less power when burned with the equivalent amount of air in a piston engine, all other parameters held constant.
Are you serious?
the highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #50
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by the highlander View Post
Are you serious?
So it looks like at max rich E85 will get 4.4% more energy, hey I learn something new. Interesting power comes from just more "gas" released at 18%... That said this goes all the way back to Smokey Yunich and has water burning gas engine.

I would be intrested in real racers actually seeing performace increase by going from max lean power E85 to max rich power E85. Chemistry is fun and all, but does it equate to real world performance.

Let me know if I'm reading the article correctly.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp...-vapor-engine/

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-analysis.html

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...atio-questions

Now if you want power then rich max Meth is like 4:1 stoi, you can basically dump gallons down the engine... hence I'm interested in a 8 port constant flow meth setup... The calculation is about 1/2 down the page on the middle link.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 11-18-2018 at 12:07 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #51
ChaosCC

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
This platform is hardened for E85. You will have no issue running it full time. If you are storing the car for the winter I would run the E85 down and put in E0-E10 just to avoid moisture absorption.
I know this is an older post, but just wanted to get some clarification on the 6th gen camaros and running E85. I keep reading that ethanol can break down certain components, seals, etc. over time. So is this not the case with newer vehicles, since most gas now has atleast a small percentage of ethanol? I'm assuming they are referring to older vehicles when it comes to breakdown of components?
"without chaos . . . nothing can evolve!"
ChaosCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #52
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
E85 is the devil. Shit fuel low energy garbage. It will melt your gas tank
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #53
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I have an E85 station near me where gas is almost 1/2 the price of 91.
Just to clarify, I can put E85 in and the SS should run fine?
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #54
Calubi

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I have an E85 station near me where gas is almost 1/2 the price of 91.
Just to clarify, I can put E85 in and the SS should run fine?
Only if you have an ethanol sensor installed, and a tune to go along with it.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #55
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubi View Post
Only if you have an ethanol sensor installed, and a tune to go along with it.
Ahh Ok. I have neither. Thanks.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #56
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosCC View Post
I know this is an older post, but just wanted to get some clarification on the 6th gen camaros and running E85. I keep reading that ethanol can break down certain components, seals, etc. over time. So is this not the case with newer vehicles, since most gas now has atleast a small percentage of ethanol? I'm assuming they are referring to older vehicles when it comes to breakdown of components?

The GenV fuel system (LT1/LT4) is FlexFuel safe. No worries with E85.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote