Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-27-2023, 10:07 AM   #71
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Haha

With ZL1 power and tall gearing it is more like:

Waaaaaaa, 60mph, Waaaaaa, 84mph, and lift before I go to jail.

Still get the waaaaa though

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:16 AM   #72
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
If one *had* to have another Camaro, and the only choice (new) was EV, well, then that's the only choice for a new Camaro.

But I know I'd make a *big* effort to find the "right" previous-gen Corvette, or un-abused ZL1, before going that route.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Any next Gen EV Camaro would likely be several years away.
The routine of announcing a reveal, then the reveal, then when it can be ordered, then when they will start building them, a small number of first editions, extended dates for versions with options, then when it will be delivered is a multi-year scenario we have seen with every EV so far.

The announcement of an announcement about an EV Camaro could be years away. If it's just another "top-hat" for the Ultium platform, there will likely be no spy pics or road testing spy shots, just as there have been none for the other gm evs.

Enjoy the ICE 6th Gens. They will be by themselves for quite a while.

Last edited by 90503; 03-27-2023 at 10:44 AM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:44 AM   #74
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
It's wild to me that people here would say America has the greatest minds in the world.

...yet you don't have faith in us being smart enough to update the grids (and/or develop further technology) for increased electricity use from EVs. Which is it?
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:47 AM   #75
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
If one *had* to have another Camaro, and the only choice (new) was EV, well, then that's the only choice for a new Camaro.

But I know I'd make a *big* effort to find the "right" previous-gen Corvette, or un-abused ZL1, before going that route.
I feel pretty much the same but having owned a Tesla for the last 4 years I am open-minded. It will all come down to whether they can build enough character into a performance EV. Nowadays it is cool tech that drives the younger crowd. The number of enthusiasts like us that prefer a connection to the road and shifting our own gears are dwindling.

The next generation of vehicles will be completely different, such as this upcoming Sony car. IMO, this is how manufactures will compete moving forward. It will be about creating and delivering new driving experiences. If you simply electrify a Camaro then how do you even differentiate between the models? EVs all feel fast due to the instant torque curve, they all feel pretty much the same. So, in a way, they all become appliances from a powertrain perspective but stuff like we see here with Sony and Honda is how they will create demand for the next generation of buyers who don't even want to drive for the most part. GM will need to figure out a way to make an EV feel more analog, which seems impossible after driving one for a while but hopefully they find a way, and not like Dodge is doing with simulated gear shifts and fake engine noises via speakers.

2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:48 AM   #76
DancingJess

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
I haven’t read all pages, but how about we wait until an EV Camaro comes out? Do you guys know how an EV Camaro will look and perform 10 years from now?

Just wait until it comes out, IF it comes out. Your opinions should be based on the real EV Camaro I think, not the one in your imagination.
DancingJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:55 AM   #77
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingJess View Post
I haven’t read all pages, but how about we wait until an EV Camaro comes out? Do you guys know how an EV Camaro will look and perform 10 years from now?

Just wait until it comes out, IF it comes out. Your opinions should be based on the real EV Camaro I think, not the one in your imagination.
I do kind of get a kick out of this. I can remember over 10 years ago I had friends and family... "Just wait..." We'll all be driving EV's in 10 years. Now 10-15 years later we get a post on Camaro6... "Do you know how an EV Camaro will look and perfrom 10 years from now?"

Just goes back to the post above about "Just Wait... Just Wait... Just Wait..." Personally I could careless how if/when it happens it performs... because they'll all just be appliances.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #78
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
It's wild to me that people here would say America has the greatest minds in the world.

...yet you don't have faith in us being smart enough to update the grids (and/or develop further technology) for increased electricity use from EVs. Which is it?
Don't agree with your post. I don't read that people don't have faith in us to be able to upate the grid... I see people say "Just Wait..." Well how long are we supposed to wait?
Old 03-27-2023, 11:27 AM   #79
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Electric SUVs are what people are begging for. People killed manual transmission cars by choosing automatics, so they hold their phone and coffee. They killed sedans, wagons, hatches and coupes by buying SUVs. They killed handling with both of those (weight and CG) and all you are left with is acceleration...which is where EVs are far superior.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:37 AM   #80
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingJess View Post

Two of the most logical (as opposed to emotional) posts in the thread so far.

There’s one post that lists “just wait…”. Here’s the thing. There isn’t a need to wait because each of those things exist already. They are all expected to improve over the coming years in the same way that ICE vehicles have continuously improved over many years.

As far as a new administration winding back the clock, that is highly doubtful because
  1. Most of the state based regulations on Zero Emissions were initiated during the Trump Administration and have continued forward during the Biden Administration
  2. The automakers who have committed to electric vehicles made their public announcements to that by and before 2019, ie - during the Trump Administration
  3. GM, Ford, VW, Honda, BMW, Mercedes Benz have all pledged and spent billions of dollars on factories, platform development, and battery partnerships focused on delivering EVs. They are not going to just flush that investment down the drain.

ICE vehicles will continue to exist beyond 2035. There is little doubt about that, but they will coexist with BEV. Over time BEV production and sales will surpass ICE production and sales. ICE will continue to be available for those things that BEV does not do better than ICE, basically, towing and hauling.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:55 AM   #81
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Is there even an EV used car market? Ya, I bet if there is the used values are horrible.
There is. Some of the more specialty and hard to get BEVs resell above sticker. Hummer EV, Rivian R1T and R1S, Polestar 2. Other more mainstream models resell close to sticker. The real question will come when high volume, highly optioned BEVs like Mach E and Lightning start really hitting the used market.

There is one exception. First generation Nissan Leaf has not held value well. There are a couple of unique-to-Leaf reasons for that. One is the range is low by today’s standards for EV range (sub-200 miles) and another is that the batteries do not have a dedicated liquid heating/cooling system so they have a history of battery life degradation. When you start from an already too low top range that’s a buzz killer. Second Gen Leaf fixes both of those problems.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 03-27-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:30 PM   #82
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Too long...didn't read it all.

Another EV thread. Yay. Still...it sucked me in.

To the OP I would ask (with respect because I owned and drove and loved a V6 Camaro for years).

I see you're driving an LT. Have you driven the 6th gen SS? If you have plenty of experience in a modern V8 powered sports car and still feel the same way about your wife's Tesla, then all fine and dandy then If not, drive one first and then report back to us.

For me, that sound stirs my soul. The roar of the exhaust adds to the excitement of the drive. For me, my stock Camaro SS is already too damn fast for the street. When I had my V6, sure it would quickly get up to "go to jail" speeds also, but at least I could nail it more often without worry. A high performance Tesla would also be too fast if you were to start pushing it, so then it comes down to what else does it do for you? For me, the ICE Camaro checks more boxes past just feeling fast.

Also as others have pointed out, I am curious to see what these car manufacturers come up with to make an EV sports car special, compared to any other high powered EV. As it stands now, for me, I see no reason to buy a fast car EV over a fast SUV EV. When you can get a Blazer EV with 650 HP, is a 650HP Camaro EV any better? I guess the Camaro should theoretically handle better, but both will be heavy with a low center of gravity.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:45 PM   #83
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
I don't know why you guys keep arguing over that. This is a Camaro forum with lots of people like KCE engine.

Ask the same question on a Tesla forum and you'll get the total opposite.

Nobody on here will get convinced that EV are better.

Nobody on the Tesla forum will get convinced that ICE are better.

Same goes for politics. Different opinions; all are valid.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:55 PM   #84
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
I don't know why you guys keep arguing over that. This is a Camaro forum with lots of people like KCE engine.

Ask the same question on a Tesla forum and you'll get the total opposite.

Nobody on here will get convinced that EV are better.

Nobody on the Tesla forum will get convinced that ICE are better.

Same goes for politics. Different opinions; all are valid.
Best post on this thread yet...! Most of the time I avoid these threads, this post reminds me why I generally avoid them. With that said... I'm Out!