Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-03-2023, 05:48 AM   #1
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
2016 Camaro has a shudder after winter's hibernation

My Camaro has been in hibernation since late October. Yesterday I connected the battery back up and gave her a nice cleaning in prep for today's first drive of the year into work. No problems firing up and it drove fine for 20 minutes of my 30 minute drive but, that last 10 minutes I started feeling a shudder in the steering wheel. I'm not sure if it's the engine or the transmission but, it was there in 7th and 8th gears around 45mph(cruising). Dropping it to 6th seem to eliminate the shudder. I got rid of the factory torque converter and have a Circle D torque converter so the factory shudder is gone. Could this be from e85 that's been sitting since October in a half full gas tank? I'm wondering if it's just some water condensation. If so, would a fill up alleviate the issue? If it's not the gas, could it be the transmission? What else would cause a shudder like that? I won't rule out the Circle D torque converter but, would say it's unlikely since it's fairly new. Thoughts anybody?

thanks for any replies
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:54 AM   #2
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
The stale E85 would cause the car to possible miss and have poor performance. I assume you put an ethanol additive in it before hibernation?
Old 04-03-2023, 06:10 AM   #3
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

I did not. I pretty much just parked it in the garage, disconnected the battery and put a trickle charger on it. In years past, I would at least fill up the tank with e85 but failed to do that this go around.

I'm going to fill up with e85 on the way home this afternoon. Would putting in an ethanol additive at this point help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjwilson View Post
The stale E85 would cause the car to possible miss and have poor performance. I assume you put an ethanol additive in it before hibernation?
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:15 AM   #4
adamjwilson

I don't think so... you are past that point. Suggest you do that faithfully in the future if you store more than a month on any E blend. Suggest you fill up with 93 and move on now. What blend of E are you running? I normally run E50ish until summer hits here.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:11 AM   #5
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

I usually get my e85 from Meijer, one of the few places that offers e85 around here and they're usually pretty close to 80, according to my HPTuner anyhow.

So, you're thinking I should mix in some premium? Why not more e85?

Quote:
I don't think so... you are past that point. Suggest you do that faithfully in the future if you store more than a month on any E blend. Suggest you fill up with 93 and move on now. What blend of E are you running? I normally run E50ish until summer hits here.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:42 AM   #6
adamjwilson

Suggest you run a blend until you run that old E out of your gas tank. Not really going to hurt your performance as I don't see you are running a SC. Running one tank of blended E then press on to what you normally do after that shutter is gone.... (assuming the shutter is from some bad/stale E in the tank)
Old 04-03-2023, 08:28 AM   #7
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
If it has been sitting for a few months, the tires are likely a little bit flattened on a spot. I find if my car sits for a few weeks especially in cold weather, it takes a few miles for the tires to warm up enough to fully flex out. Until then, I can feel a bit of vibration.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:46 AM   #8
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
If it has been sitting for a few months, the tires are likely a little bit flattened on a spot. I find if my car sits for a few weeks especially in cold weather, it takes a few miles for the tires to warm up enough to fully flex out. Until then, I can feel a bit of vibration.
Interesting... I store mine in my storage unit all winter. Non heated, on concrete. Never had this issue.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:59 AM   #9
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

I thought about that as well but, I would probably feel the flat spots at lower speeds. I don't feel a thing until I'm at cruising speed around 45mph. I also didn't start feeling it until 20 minutes into my trip into work. I was on side country roads with implied speed limits so stayed well above 45mph until I got onto a main road and had to maintain a cruising speed. Plenty of stop signs on the country roads too so several stop and goes increasing speed from 0. I'll try a tank of 93 and see how it responds to that. Will keep everybody updated. Thanks for the input all...

Quote:
Old 04-03-2023, 09:11 AM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Hook up a scan tool and see if it is logging misfires.
Personally I doubt it's the fuel.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:27 AM   #11
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
Quote:
mine does this after it's winter storage. takes about 100 times to remove the flat spots
Old 04-03-2023, 10:35 AM   #12
adamjwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
mine does this after it's winter storage. takes about 100 times to remove the flat spots
Why not purchase Race Ramps Flatstoppers?
Old 04-03-2023, 10:55 AM   #13
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
Quote:
because i'm a tight ass.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:01 AM   #14
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I overinflate by 10-12 lbs after parking for the winter, before removing in Spring, reduce pressure to normal, zero flat spot issues in 35+ years of storing cars over the winter.

I also think old E is the issue, gunks up bad when it gets old, practically jello
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote