Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-28-2023, 11:55 AM   #99
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
You needed to also bold type “a little” to get the gist of my point. Just enough to understand when the lobbyists explain why trucks need to have a lower target. That’s how the shadow footprint curves came into being.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:58 AM   #100
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
what someone views as a sports car has been up for debate for decades. for some they cannot have back seats. well a 911 has a back seat, and so do some Ferrari's. Some said they had to be convertibles. it use to be a Camaro couldn't be because it had a live axle (even though a lot of old sports cars did too) well that's long since gone. when you look at the Camaro's handling performance, the notion that it's not a sports car at this point is not very credible.
Probably the purest form of “sports car” in the Camaro lineup would be 2.0T 1LE. But in my book, all SS, ZL1, and 1LE fall in the sports car category. Different sub-categories though.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:18 PM   #101
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Glorified golf carts.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:30 AM   #102
wretched ghoul

Drives: s10 xtreme and 23 2ss
it will be hard pass with ev, but difference reasons. you do not own your ev like you do not own your phone. tesla have turn off supercharging with out tell person that has the car. and i do not see mechanics staying around to work on ev so your going to end up dealerships to get repairs and maintenance.

as side note, as younger person i want to learn to drive a m6.
wretched ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:36 PM   #103
MichaelG

Drives: 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
Perhaps a better way of looking at this would be, *given that* the ICE Camaro won't be with us much longer, if they still offered the Camaro/Panther as an EV, would it be a consideration if and when the time came to replace our current rides?

It'd look like a Camaro, and it'd probably have an objective performance envelope similar to a ZL1 (which is to say, better than an SS); the power would certainly be there, and the suspension folks at GM could likely further fine-tune things (MRC or not) to handle the possible higher weight.

(* -- I say "possible" because peeps sometimes forget, you're not simply adding the weight of the batteries to the current weight of the car, you're also removing the weight of the engine and transmission. It matters...)

Subjectively, it would *not* offer the driving pleasure that enthusiasts seek (shifting, engine/exhaust notes, etc.), although as some have pointed out, it is claimed that Dodge will try to add that back in as part of the experience whenever their claimed EV Challenger comes around.

Oh, and it'll certainly set us back a couple of bucks -- ZL1 money, most likely -- though hopefully as time progresses, this can start to moderate. (And it's somewhat offset by lower operating costs, etc.)

So: it's 2025, there's NO MORE ICE CAMARO, but there's an electric one, and it looks pretty much the same, and it's a pretty darned good sports car, and you "need" another sports car, and you really like(d) the Camaro and don't want a Mustang and cannot bring yourself to drop $75K on one of the BMW coupes.

Yes or no?
Yes. I would go electric for Camaro styling and performance. I would prefer an ICE, but this could be the end and I'm not so loyal to the technology that I would spend time hoping and waiting.

EV's are just ugly and the average man can't afford the high performance versions. Nothing better than Camaro styling.

It sucks that Dodge is gonna get a head start in the performance EV market and Ford continues to develop their ICE power plants, while Chevy gives up on the Camaro nameplate.
01/26/21 - Delivered
MichaelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:44 AM   #104
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
No way i am paying 65k or more for a EV Blazer that looks like a million other EV's. Thank God for good old C6 Vettes. They maybe getting long in the tooth but just so many with little miles and look new to pass up. Best bang for the buck in my book.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:53 AM   #105
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
Glorified golf carts.
Having driven thousands of golf carts I can assure you this NOT true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ghoul View Post
it will be hard pass with ev, but difference reasons. you do not own your ev like you do not own your phone. tesla have turn off supercharging with out tell person that has the car. and i do not see mechanics staying around to work on ev so your going to end up dealerships to get repairs and maintenance.

as side note, as younger person i want to learn to drive a m6.
As GM can do this today with your car and doesn’t, I’m hoping GM doesn’t fall into this. The supercharger issue is a bit unique to a Tesla, but the more concerning Tesla story is the person who bought a used Tesla and Teslavreverted to an older gen of the software the car was built with. Again GM doesn’t have a track record of this so hoping they don’t try to turn UltiFi into that type of money maker by taking away rather than adding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
No way i am paying 65k or more for a EV Blazer that looks like a million other EV's. Thank God for good old C6 Vettes. They maybe getting long in the tooth but just so many with little miles and look new to pass up. Best bang for the buck in my book.
Sadly, being in the market, C6 Corvettes are not cheap.

Also didn’t see GM release prices for the Blazer EV. Of course you can get one well over $50k today so your price at the top end isn’t far off. But if a Blazer EV is $65k I’m getting a Lyriq.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:01 AM   #106
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
If it isn’t a sports car, what motor sports does the 6th gen Camaro fail channel to the driver? It seems more at home on a road course than about any other car available now, how many other cars have a manufacturer who will warranty a car that is driven in anger for hours on a track?
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Have you even owned a G6? Handling wise, it's way more sports car than sporty car, or straight-line drag car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I don't want to argue opinions...but....

Base Camaro = sporty car
Camaro SS = (toss up?)
Camaro 1LE and above = sports car.

Agree or disagree, but the level of performance that can be had with the 6th gen, makes it a true sports car. It may not be a Corvette, but when you have levels of performance that encroach into that territory and beyond, I think it deserves to be recognized as a sports car.

...aaand I'm out.
Having worked on both Corvette and Camaro, Corvette is the Sports Car and Camaro is the Pony Car. From a purist POV and I won’t argue one bit with other thoughts or opinions, all valid here.

Doesn’t matter how well it handles, it’s just a 2+2.

GM has marketed the Camaro as BOTH a Sports Car and a Muscle Car and for me it’s laughable to be both.

This is one where I have my opinion and totally respect those that think differently. You aren’t wrong.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:36 AM   #107
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Electric motors and a lot of batteries, What is a golf cart for the win Alex.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:20 PM   #108
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
The Vietnamese EV company Vinfast is building a plant here in the Raleigh area. Their business model is to lease the battery for their VF8 SUV at $35/mo for 310 miles then $0.11/mile after that or pay $110/mo unlimited use. Even more for the VF9. Be interesting to see if this catches on with other manufacturers. And NO, I won't be buying one!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/v...ing-explained/

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:00 PM   #109
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
Electric motors and a lot of batteries, What is a golf cart for the win Alex.

Does this apply to electric vs gas go karts as well? I never found myself wanting for gas after driving an electric go kart. They have both been equally fun for me.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:31 PM   #110

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Golf Carts!...The Pioneers of the EV Transition!...Gotta love 'em. They are a blast whether gas or electric. A lot of beach towns have street legal versions usually limited to 25mph roads or thereabouts. A great idea instead of a car.

The electric carts do have that instant take-off speed everyone raves about. I get my EV fix at the golf course...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 02:06 PM   #111
455Rocket

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1
The only reason I would ever even want a camaro is because of the V8, that's what it's always been about. A few of the camaros and firebirds I've had wouldn't be worth putting up with for a second if they didn't have a glorious V8 and it was questionable whether they were worth the trouble even with one.

I suppose electric cars could be nice in their own right for what they are but it's a whole different animal.

Just no passion anymore for cars in general, look at what's on the road, nothing but station wagons and pickup trucks as far as the eyes can see on, not going to sell me on a Hellcat where you have to have a speaker making fake engine sounds or a station wagon mustang.
455Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:39 PM   #112
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Also didn’t see GM release prices for the Blazer EV. Of course you can get one well over $50k today so your price at the top end isn’t far off. But if a Blazer EV is $65k I’m getting a Lyriq.

Well...Blazer EV will start well below 65K I'm sure, but the Blazer SS EV on the other hand...I can see it starting $60K or more. So...would you rather have the Blazer SS EV or a Lyriq at that price?